PDA

View Full Version : My Bestest Boy

labblab
08-07-2009, 02:59 PM
Although I can hardly believe it is true, on Monday it will be five years since we released Barkis (8-10-04). In some ways it seems like such a short time. In other ways, so much has happened between then and now. This will be the third tribute that I have written for my boy. The first was posted on the old "ezboard" and was lost to a cruel hacker. The second was lost along with the closure of our former home, cc.net. But here I am again, because Barkis deserves to be remembered and honored. He was my bestest boy, and always will remain so in my heart.

In writing my first two tributes, I remember how important it felt to me that the words should be "just right." There was a healing that came with putting my thoughts into sentences. But now, with the passage of time, the words are starting to drift away and what seems most important to me are simply the feelings themselves. How dear he was to me, and how special.

Our lives are now filled with the joy of our two girls, Peg and Luna. They would never have come to us had it not been for our loss of Barkis. So that is the good that came out of our sorrow. And for the most part, my sad memories are outnumbered by the sweet and happy ones. Especially on his birthdays, when I remember how he looked as a puppy and how excited we were when we saw him for the very first time. He was our little "rocket" dog, so healthy and so happy and so proud and so beautiful.

But when the first of August rolls around, it is hard for my memories not to drift back to that final weekend when he was failing. The worry and the tears. And the last walks and hugs, and the final rides in his beloved Barkmobile. We were so lucky that we had the chance to tell him how much we loved him. But it was so hard to let him go. I had not known that it could hurt so much, and that I would miss him so deeply.

At some point over the next few days, I will pick up his collar and put it in my pocket. And I'll head over to his favorite lake and walk around it just like we did so many times together. And I'll call his name, and in my mind's eye, I'll see him running to me once again, so healthy and so happy. Just me and my bestest boy, together again and always.

We have a secret, you and I
that no one else shall know,
for who but I can see you lie
each night in fire glow?
And who but I can reach my hand
before we go to bed
and feel the living warmth of you
and touch your silken head?
And only I walk woodland paths
and see ahead of me,
your small form racing with the wind
so young again, and free.
And only I can see you swim
in every brook I pass
and when I call, no one but I
can see the bending grass.

Author Unknown

In loving memory of my sweet Barkis, today and everyday ~
Marianne

Harley PoMMom
08-07-2009, 05:09 PM
Marianne,

Your tribute to your sweet Barkis is beautiful and it is easy for one to see how special he was and how much he was loved, thank you for sharing your story with us.

I am glad to see that the happy and sweet times have outnumbered the sad ones...so I guess the adage is true that time heals all wounds...but I guess it does not close them entirely...so when you decide to take that walk with Barkis's collar in your pocket, I pray that Mother Nature gives you the most grand, gorgeous day she can muster for your special day with your sweet Barkis.

Love and hugs.
Lori

Dollydog
08-07-2009, 07:40 PM
Marianne,
I'm glad you keep his memory alive for us and have posted this tribute to Barkis. We'll be walking with you on that walk around the lake....
Jo-Ann & Lady

MiniSchnauzerMom
08-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Marianne,

Your tribute to Barkis warms my heart and brings tears to my eyes. I did not have the pleasure of becoming acquainted with your little "rocket dog" but I did have an opportunity to view his pictures at our former home.

Holding his collar, speaking his name and walking with him in spirit around the lake - what a beautiful way to honor and remember your bestest boy!

Many Hugs,
Louise

mytil
08-08-2009, 06:29 AM
Oh Marianne,

Still the tears are there and I know the warmth of the memories are glowing strong and also making you smile. It does not matter how long it has been because the bond you have with him will be forever and there is always a very special place in your heart only for him. He is watching over you two and your girls.

The poem is one of my favorites and brings everything home. Barkis is with you and always will be walking on your walks, jumping in the lake and running through the tall grass and the soft breeze that surrounds you are his kisses.

My heart and tears are with you my friend
Always In Loving Memory of a very special boy,
T.

BestBuddy
08-08-2009, 07:21 AM
Marianne,
Such a beautiful tribute to Barkis. Love never dies, memories live forever.
Jenny

sunimist
08-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Dear Marianne,

How beautiful and touching. Words won't come, but emotion is overwhelming as I read your words about precious Barkis. We who knew him loved him dearly and miss him so much still.

God bless you, my friend, and may peace and wonderful memories dwell in your heart.

Lots of love...Shelba and Suni

Squirt's Mom
08-08-2009, 11:31 AM
Dear Marianne,

Thank you for bringing Barkis to our new home. It's where your Bestest Boy belongs and I am honored to share in your memories of him.

The "right" words and sentence structures aren't important when love is guiding the heart and hand because what you feel comes shining through regardless. Your never-ending love for Barkis is obvious in every key-stroke, making this tribute "just right".

When you take your walk around the lake, know that many souls are with you - standing quietly, offering love and support should you need it, our silent tears falling with yours.

Hugs to you, my friend,
Leslie and the girls

lleigh
08-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Marianne,

Oh, that was just beautiful. Anyone reading it will surely feel the love you shared with your special boy. Isn't it grand that we get that opportunity? I am smiling and tearing with the memories of my precious Lucy right now. Hardly seems possible it's been seven months.

Lyn

gpgscott
08-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Dear Marianne and Barkis,

You are both joined through the ages by your devotion to each other.

What a lucky pair you are.

Scott

frijole
08-08-2009, 10:06 PM
:( Big Gulp. Thanks for sharing Marianne. Hugs, Kim

Smileyspeople
08-09-2009, 01:04 AM
A great tribute to Barkis, and a greater tribute to his very articulate human friends. Thanks for sending it out to the rest of us! Love, hugs and sniffy-kisses.

Dorothy, Peter, Smiley and the rest of our pack.

acushdogsmom
08-09-2009, 07:50 PM
Thank you so much Marianne, for posting your wonderful tribute to Barkis.

It had to have been difficult for you to write, but it feels good having Barkis talked about here again. More like home, if you know what I mean. :)

many (((hugs)))

P.S. I always thought that Barkis was one of the best names ever! :D

forscooter
08-10-2009, 06:36 AM
P.S. I always thought that Barkis was one of the best names ever!

Me too!

Marianne,

I came to know you after your life with Barkis, well that was my first thought. And then I had to think, nooooo, I FEEL like I was with you with Barkis....along the way all that time....which can only mean one thing. That's that Barkis lives on so strongly in your heart and through your life that he is still here, ever-present, ever-watching, a guardian angel to all the pups here and on the old board.

When I first came to the old site, I would see your avatar and it always made me smile. That big huge grin of his...the love so apparent in his eyes. The stories of him brought me comfort. And you always giving me strength and hope and inspiration and above all, faith in not only dealing with Cushing's but with life in general.

How I wish I could blink my eyes and bring him back to you....how I wish I had that kind of power. Yet I know that the spirit he had was such a powerful one that he is beside you. Love knows no boundaries...there is no way to hold it...so it must continue its flow back and forth.

The poem you love so much has long ago become my favorite. When Scoobie passed, I read it over and over and over again.

Barkis belongs here along with all of the others who have paved the way and made it possible for people like me to survive this horrid disease.

You are my friend, my source of strength and comfort....and I wish you the comfort you have given be returned in the memory and life and love you share with your special boy....

Love ya....and huge hugs!!!!!!!!
Beth, Bailey and always Scoobie

ladysmom06
08-10-2009, 04:35 PM
Dear Marianne,

Thinking of you and your bestest boy today. What a beautiful tribute you wrote for Barkis - thanks for sharing it. The tears are flowing like they always do whenever I read a tribute to these special angels. I agree with Cushy and Beth - one of the best names ever. Hugs to you.

Roxee's Dad
08-10-2009, 04:49 PM
Marianne,
This is truely a beautiful tribute to Barkis. It's easy to see how much you loved him and he loved you.

labblab
08-10-2009, 06:18 PM
I just want to thank you all SO much for your kind words. They are truly such a help and a comfort.

Spirit Barkis and I have not yet taken our lake walk. We will go soon. And when we do, I'll tell him how his aunties and uncles here are lending me their support and thinking of him fondly. He'll flap his ears and wag his tail and off we'll go...and he'll be thanking you all, too...:o

With (((hugs))) of gratitude,
Marianne

labblab
08-09-2010, 09:59 PM
My bestest boy! How is it possible that another year has come and gone? It was also a Monday evening six years ago that we lay beside you and loved on you and pretended that we didn’t know what the morning would bring or the decision we would have to face. I don’t know how your dad and I made it through that Tuesday. But you were so brave, always. Always. And you have always been our bestest boy.

At the moment of release, we told you to run back to the mountains. And as luck would have it, that is where I am this evening. Back at your mountain vacation home. I know your spirit has visited me so many times in so many places. But after checking in with your dad in the morning, I hope you’ll run back out here to the mountains tomorrow. I hope you’ll lay next to me and your grandmother after you’ve sniffed around the yard and raised your face to the sun and the breeze. Just for a few moments before you’re off again to help with all the new ones who are arriving at the Bridge. I love you, Barkis. Always my bestest boy and forever in my heart.

In loving memory today and every day ~
Your mom

SachiMom
08-09-2010, 10:29 PM
Marianne,

I really thought I could read Barkis' tribute this time without crying. How wrong I was. Six years have passed, but the love and memory are strong. I remember the agony you were going through like it was yesterday. Yet it is you who gives us all such comfort with your caring words. I don't have the words, but know that my heart is with you and always will be.

Thank you for honoring Barkis by helping so many others on K9C.
It is the bestest tribute for the Bestest Boy.

Luv & Hugs ~ Mary Ann

sunimist
08-09-2010, 10:58 PM
Barkis will forever be a part of our hearts. We love you "bestest boy".
Sending warm hugs and love to you, Marianne.

BestBuddy
08-10-2010, 04:18 AM
Marianne,

It is one of those bittersweet moments where we remember with love and laughter but then know that they are no longer here. The years come and go but Barkis is still a part of you.

Jenny

lleigh
08-10-2010, 07:16 AM
Marianne,

I did not know Barkis in life but I feel I know him in spirit. I imagine that's what so many of us really want here - a place to share our memories so they keep on giving. The anniversaries, however difficult to get through, also remind us how very fortunate we were to have had these blessings in our lives. Thank you for sharing him again. I just know in my heart Barkis and my little Lucy have become best friends!

Lyn

maggiesmomma
08-10-2010, 09:58 AM
My dear, sweet friend...I am here to remember your boy with you as we have done for the past 6 years. I can't believe it....and as I sit here trying to type through my tears, I can picture you and Barkis in the mountains together. Do you have the "girls" with you? I'm sure it is beautiful there and a good place to reflect about your "bestest boy".

As I have every year, I will light a candle for Barkis tonight right next the the candle I still light every night for my Maggie. I just know that they are great friends and will be looking down on us tonight.

Take care, dear one...and I will "see" you in December.

Love,
Jeanie

Roxee's Dad
08-10-2010, 10:48 AM
Marianne,
I didn't have the honor of knowing Barkis but I share in your sadness and honor his memory with you.

frijole
08-10-2010, 01:01 PM
Marianne - if he was yours he was the bestest. Reaching out and sending love on this anniversary. Kim

Squirt's Mom
08-10-2010, 01:08 PM
Dear Marianne,

There is no doubt Barkis is with you there in your mountain retreat. A part of him remains with you and his dad at all times, showering you with his love and the promise that one day you will all be together once again.

Many hugs and much love,
Leslie

Harley PoMMom
08-10-2010, 03:28 PM
Dear Marianne,

Sending big hugs and love your way. Lori

clydetheboosmom
08-10-2010, 09:16 PM
Love you. Thank you.

mytil
08-11-2010, 10:49 AM
My biggest ((((((hugs))))) coming your way Marianne!

T.

apollo6
08-11-2010, 05:33 PM
What a beautifl tribute to your bestest boy.

marie adams
08-12-2010, 12:23 PM
Oh Marianne,

It is a beautiful tribute--with tears in my eyes as I type this. I have used the word "bestest" for decades and it truly describes our loved ones furred or not!!!:D:D

Best to you always!!!:):)

zoesmom
08-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Marianne,

I really thought I could read Barkis' tribute this time without crying. How wrong I was.
Luv & Hugs ~ Mary Ann

I thought I could, too. But no, not possible. I'm still trying to work up the strength to write something for my Zo in this section. But I can't do that yet, either. Memories still 'dog' me at every turn, as I'm sure they do for you with Barkis. Wish I could have known him. But I do know that he was one special "bestest" boy. Sue

forscooter
08-13-2010, 03:53 PM
I'm sorry I missed this Marianne....sending you lots of hugs and love...Barkis' sweet face was one of the first I saw many years ago, and even though he was gone, his happy face somehow made me feel better...his legacy lives on still...
(((((((hugs)))))))))
Beth

bkdice
08-15-2010, 02:56 PM
Marianne,

It's so touching to me that your heart is still filled with such love and memories of the boy you loved so dear, 6 years later. It's also comforting to know that time cannot take such love and memories away.

I know my reply is late, but wishing you peace and bended grass during this time.

Tobias
09-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Hi Marianne: I am just spending some time on the site today , reading tributes. Everything is in slow motion--I am having a "reverie" day of remembering my Zorro (finally I have a place in my heart to put the memories where they are safe) and reading other tributes on the site. Honestly, the image of you walking around the lake with a collar in your pocket just brought me to tears. But they are healing tears, and I thank you. Toby, my Cushings boy, is gradually being increased to reach the lower target post stim value as recommended by Dechra and also this helpful site. Many blessings to you; how perfectly you captured the experience of grieving an animal. Linda

SavingSimon
09-02-2010, 02:42 PM
Dear Marianne,
I am still crying from reading your beautiful words, and feeling the love and the pain with you. Thank you for sharing the blessings that came from the loss as well. It is so hard for me to function, much less write when I have lost a dog, (as someone who does rescue I have lost far too many) but I hope that I have the courage and strength when my "bestest boy" is gone to write something worthy of him, as you have done more than three times. One thing that this board, that I often fear to visit, and yet leave feeling much different, uplifted by the support of the group, and often uplifted the most by the person who has suffered the loss - one thing that it does for me is encourage me to make more and better special memories in this time that Simon and I, and the rest of my pack are blessed with. Thank you so much for posting this.
Love and hugs,
Dena, Simon, and pack

labblab
08-02-2013, 11:38 AM
Another August is here. On the morning of the 10th, it will have been nine years since we released our bestest boy. I am grateful that after all these years, when I think of Barkis now, most always it is with a smile and a sweet memory. Except when the first of August rolls around, and I'm transported back to that final week.

The light in the sky is the same, and the late summer heat and humidity is the same. And I remember those last days of car rides and faltering steps. And it is hard all over again.

So many members of our family are grieving right now, and are haunted with the "if onlys..." This is the week when the "if onlys" return for me, too, and I realize they will never go away entirely. That is the price paid for my human imperfection and loving another creature so dearly. If only I could do things over, I would do them differently this time. But we do the best that we can, don't we? I did the best that I could for my bestest boy. But I know that I made mistakes and the memories of that week will always hurt.

But I would never trade the pain for not loving Barkie at all. And so when his spirit moves me, I'll grab his collar again this year and go for our annual walk around the lake. And I'll keep repeating my little mantra that was one of the few things that kept me sane nine years ago: "We loved him dearly, he had a wonderful life, we didn't let him suffer." And then in my mind's eye where the past and the present merge, I know we'll be joined together once again and I will dry my tears and smile. Because that's the way my sweet, proud boy deserves to be remembered -- always with a smile.

Marianne ~ Forever Barkis' Mom

Trixie
08-02-2013, 11:54 AM
That was beautiful Marianne. I have a lump in my throat.

Barbara

frijole
08-02-2013, 12:38 PM
I shouldn't have read this at work. Sending you lots of love today dear Marianne. Re the mistakes - we all made them and look back and wonder... but we all did what we felt was right based on what we knew at the time. You can't do any better than that. I love the annual walk tribute. That is cool. No doubt you were/are the bestest mom ever. Kim

Squirt's Mom
08-02-2013, 01:27 PM
I've no doubt Barkis is remembering as well. His memories are those of the love he saw shining from your eyes every time you looked at him; the gentleness in your voice even when he had misbehaved; the tenderness in your hands when you rubbed his head and soothed his fears; the tears that fell on his head, bathing him in your essence, reaffirming the eternal connection. He will be prancing by your side as you walk the lake, waiting for that smile through the tears.

Hugs,
Leslie

Harley PoMMom
08-02-2013, 01:48 PM
Oh Marianne,

Your words to your dear boy do touch me so. I am sure, as Lelsie has said, that Barkis is watching and very sweet loving memories he is beholding.

On August 10th, in loving spirit, we will be walking with you and on that day and always we will remember Barkis with love.

Huge hugs to you, dear Marianne.

infoviewer
08-02-2013, 02:29 PM
Oh Marianne: That is so lovely. I can just see your bestest boy walking with you as you walk around the lake. Love for our sweet furbabies never dies. Love, JoAnne

Budsters Mom
08-02-2013, 02:34 PM
Dearest Marianne,
OMG, your words to Barkis were spot on perfect and cut to my very core. They relate to all who have ever lost a beloved fur baby. That is most of us, at one time or another. The "what ifs" run as a continuous reel in my mind. What a great mantra. Clear, short and to the point. My tear are flowing.

Your bestest boy is truly an angel who helped you to grow and become a better you. More loving, more nurturing, and more accepting. He brought you to this forum and to all of us. His love continues to spread with you knowledge, compassion and experience. Thank you Barkis for sharing your mom with us.:)

You lake walk with his collar is so lovely. What a wonderful expression of love. I'm sure that your bestest boy is waiting, tail wagging for that special moment.
Many, many loving hugs,

scoora
08-02-2013, 08:49 PM
Marianne, That was beautiful!

Budsters Mom
08-10-2013, 10:00 PM
Thinking of you and your bestest boy today Marianne. :pWithout Barkis and his circle of love, We wouldn't have you with us. Sending you tons of love to give you strength for the days and weeks ahead. You explained Buddy's circle of love to me. I'm just starting to understand it now.

Dear Barkis, Thank you for teaching your mom so many lessons that are now helping those in need.

Many, many hugs,

scoora
08-10-2013, 11:55 PM
Marianne,
Big Hugs!

Roxee's Dad
08-11-2013, 12:01 AM
And many more (((HUGS)))

mytil
08-11-2013, 07:30 AM
((((((hugs))))))) from me ell Marianne!!!!

I know that your sweetie pie Barkis was there at the bridge to greet my little girl when she crossed with a warm smile and his fav deflated ball, just as my boy was there to greet Barkis so many years ago.

No matter how many years that go by, I think we will always feel this when that date comes around. It could be because they are also thinking about us at the very moment.

T.

Squirt's Mom
08-11-2013, 08:23 AM
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Hugs) ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Harley PoMMom
08-11-2013, 07:43 PM
(((HUGS))) from me as well.

molly muffin
08-11-2013, 09:56 PM
HUGS from me too Marianne.
Sharlene and Molly Muffin

labblab
04-16-2014, 01:14 PM
Hello my sweet Barky Boy. It has been such a long time since I last wrote to you, but you are never forgotten. At the beginning, I used to write so often. It helped me with the hurting. But as the years passed, the written words fell away and I have instead felt close to you in many different ways.

But today I feel like writing again. That is because I have a favor to ask, and that is for you to begin to especially watch over your little (well, big :o) sister Peg. It was just about this time ten years ago that I started to see the changes in you that ended up taking you away from us. That was such a hard summer, and oh, how our hearts were broken that August. But little did we know that August morning that little baby Peg was already growing and just waiting to be born. Just waiting to come to us and heal our broken hearts. It seems like only yesterday she was just a tiny thing, with the sweetest face and the biggest paws. She looked just like a little black bear cub. I think she still sensed the presence of your spirit when she first came to us, and she felt protected and safe. I will never forget her snuggling her tiny self in the middle of your big dog bed that first evening. She knew you were watching over her, and you were glad there was joy and new life in our home.

But where has the time gone??? Baby Peg is now nearly ten years old, and her muzzle and chest grow gray. She gave us a bit of a scare again this week, as she was acting ill. I think she is OK. But I know she is now of an age when she needs you to start watching out for her again. And watching out for us, too. Because we will be needing your help more and more. Me, especially. Please help me to be better and stronger for Peg than I was able to be for you. I know if you are helping me, I can do better. Surely I can.

This is the thing, though, it is going to be so hard for me. Because when the time comes for Peg to join you, I will feel as though I am losing a last link to you, too. You and Peg share your own sweet circle. So I know she will always be safe with you. But my boy, it will be so very hard for me when she leaves us to rejoin you. Hopefully that day will be far in the future. But in my heart, I know it cannot be as far away as I would wish. I am already starting to worry and that is why I need your help. My worrying makes things so much harder for us all.

But for now, go and enjoy this beautiful spring day, my sweet boy. I'll bet you are over running in the field with all the buttercups right now. We'll watch for you in the morning, me and the girls. Come and run beside us then, if you have a mind to, OK? That will make the sunshine even brighter and the buttercups even more beautiful.

I love you, my sweet boy. And always will.

addy
04-16-2014, 04:58 PM
I understand now, dear Marianne and send even more hugs and more love.

Budsters Mom
04-16-2014, 05:29 PM
So beautiful Marianne. I understand oh so well!:o

Sending you much love and tight hugs,

Kathy

molly muffin
04-16-2014, 06:22 PM
Sending you big hugs Marianne. I am positive he is watching over you and Peg.

Sharlene and molly muffin

Harley PoMMom
04-16-2014, 08:02 PM
Tears rolled down my face as I read your beautiful tribute to sweet Barkis. Tons of huge and loving hugs being sent your way.

mytil
04-17-2014, 08:12 AM
Big ((((hugs)))) to you!!!!
T.

Squirt's Mom
04-17-2014, 08:37 AM
I read this yesterday and couldn't see for the tears to reply. That circle you speak of that Barkis and Peg share - a circle takes at least 3 points, otherwise it is a line between two points, a path back and forth between the two. You are right about the circle, tho...you simply left yourself out of the equation. You are the anchoring point for Barkis and Peg's circle, you created that circle where none existed before. Their circle is not complete without you, dear Marianne, and the love you all share will continue to flow round and round and round for all time.

There is no question your Bestest Boy is watching over you all...and always will.
Hugs,
Leslie

Tina
04-20-2014, 11:35 AM
Dear Marianne, what a lovely post to your precious boy. I am sitting here with tears also, as I understand so completely about the circle. I know he is watching over you and Peg, that will always continue.

Lots of love and big hugs,
Tina

apollo6
04-21-2014, 01:43 PM
Tears are running down my face as I so understand what you have written. He is watching over you.
Hugs Sonja and Angel Apollo

Trish
04-21-2014, 08:36 PM
I always love the photo of the smiling Barkis you have as your avatar, such a lovely happy looking dog. So Barkis, you keep an eye on Peg and get her better asap as you look like you have superpowers :) Lovely note to your boy Marianne xx

labblab
04-22-2014, 06:49 AM
Thank you all, so much, for writing to me. It means the world to know that you understand and don't think I am being silly or overemotional (or even if so, that you are supporting me regardless :o). Our family here is so special to me and I appreciate you all more than words can say.

gatorgirl_bama
04-26-2014, 12:15 PM
Marianne,
I am crying with you and I understand so well how you feel. I've said from the day I joined this forum that it was my "saving grace". I could come here and cry, scream, laugh and just be me without being judged. This time last year my Tia got sick and I too lost her in August. August 11, 2013 is a day I'll never forget. It's been over eight months and I've cried everyday. To begin with, I thought I was crazy that I couldn't "get over it" or "move on" like most people told me to do. But here, I know I can take as long as I need to "to get over it" and I don't feel ashamed to sit here and cry and talk to my girls. I can come here everyday and leave a little message or tell them how much I miss them and no one belittles me or makes fun of me. Without actually meeting any one in this forum, I feel they are my true friends, true family.

Please know you and Barkis are in my thoughts and prayers.

Donna

labblab
08-10-2014, 07:07 AM
Ten years ago this morning your spirit soared and raced back to the mountains to revisit our loved ones there, my sweet boy. I know you still remain free and limitless and healthy and strong. And loved so very, very much. Loved always and forever.

Your Mom

Squirt's Mom
08-10-2014, 07:27 AM
Dear Marianne,

I know Barkis is so very proud of his mom and that his Heart fills with joy every time you think of him or speak his name. And I'm sure he is sitting right beside you, looking into your eyes with that grin on his face, telling you this himself and much more. Chief among those things is that your Bestest Boy will never leave his Bestest Mom nor will his love for you ever fade but continue to grow and grow.

Many tearful hugs,
Leslie

mytil
08-10-2014, 07:28 AM
My heart is with you Marianne. No matter how much time goes by these anniversaries can still be very emotional and painful.

I would guess your sweet boy has been hanging out every now and then with my Mytilda all these years.

((((hugs))))
T.

molly muffin
08-10-2014, 10:37 AM
Big hugs Marianne

Sharlene and Molly muffin

Budsters Mom
08-10-2014, 11:38 AM
Thinking of you and sending much love today.:) As you walk the lake with Barkis's collar once again, he'll be right there lopping along happily. Always by your side. xxxxxx

Tina
08-10-2014, 12:50 PM
Dear Marianne,

Thinking of you and precious Barkis today. These anniversaries are so so difficult. Sending love and many hugs across the miles, in loving memory of your beautiful sweet boy.

Tina xo

Harley PoMMom
08-11-2014, 01:40 AM
Huge loving hugs to you, dear Marianne.

Trish
08-11-2014, 04:28 AM
Big hugs to you today Marianne in memory of Barkis the Bestest Boy! xxxxx

labblab
08-11-2014, 12:03 PM
Thank you so much, everyone, for your kind thoughts. Kathy, we did take Barkis' collar along with us on a lovely Sunday morning stroll around the lake with the girls. Of course there is no real need of the collar now, since Spirit Barkis can run beside us at will. But holding it in my hand still makes me feel connected to him in a way that is sad but sweet all at once. It seems like only yesterday that he was our baby puppy, come to claim our hearts forever.

labblab
08-08-2016, 11:22 AM
Hello my Bestest Boy! It’s been a couple of years since I’ve written here, but I needed to come back again this week since this year’s “anniversary” marks a milestone for us all. It’s been almost two months now since Sweetie Peg joined you there at Rainbow Bridge. We miss her so dearly, but it does bring me comfort to picture the two of you racing and playing again on strong, healthy legs. Mr. Barkis and Miss Peggotty, finally together, as we always knew you’d be one day. Your dad and I love you both, so much, and we always will.

You were both named after characters in a book, and now it feels to me as though our part of the story has ended and the book has closed. The story has been so sweet, and I know I can reopen the book and revisit my favorite pages whenever I wish. But there’ll be no new chapters, for now, and that does make me cry. I miss you both, and I wish so much there could have been more story to tell here on earth.

Two years ago, I asked you to help me take care of Peg. And you did, sweetheart. I especially felt you helping me these last few months and I thank you for that. I know you’re now taking good care of Peggotty, yourself, and that you’ll both continue to watch over your baby sister Luna. She is trying so hard to help heal our hearts, just as Peg did when you first left us. Luna is now snuggling into your dog bed, just like Peg did before her. And now Peg is right there by your side, so the two of you can finally snuggle together at the end of each sun-filled day.

I love you, sweetheart. You know you will always be my Bestest Boy, forever in my heart.

Your Mom

Harley PoMMom
08-08-2016, 11:52 AM
Dearest Marianne,

I join you in honoring both Barkis and Peg, such precious souls they are. Anniversaries are bittersweet so I am sending huge and loving hugs in hope that they'll bring some comfort.

Love and hugs, Lori

Squirt's Mom
08-08-2016, 12:16 PM
Add me to those who are celebrating the lives of your precious babies, Barkis and Peg. To know they are together again is a great comfort for all who love them.

Many hugs,
Leslie

Joan2517
08-08-2016, 12:25 PM
Me, too Marianne...

Budsters Mom
08-08-2016, 12:58 PM
Thank you Barkie Boy for bringing your mom to us. She has helped so many, and it all started with you, her Bestest Boy.

(((((Hugs))))

tank&kat
08-10-2016, 02:09 AM
I will walk with you this morning

(((((hugs)))))

Kat

DoxieMama
08-10-2016, 10:27 AM
Sending you wishes for warm thoughts and beautiful memories of your Bestest Boy today.

Many hugs,
Shana

Tina
08-10-2016, 05:20 PM
Dear Marianne,

I too am thinking of you today and honoring your precious Barkis. I know this anniversary is even more difficult with the recent loss of Peg. Sending huge hugs your way and lots of love, in memory of your beautiful boy and girl. They are both shining down on you, especially today.

Tina xo

Budsters Mom
08-10-2016, 05:25 PM
It's Tina!!!!! Hi Tina, waving wildly!!!! We missed you! :p

Yes, Barkie Boy and Peg are loved by all!! (((((Hugs)))))

molly muffin
08-10-2016, 07:33 PM
Thinking of you and Peg and Barkis.

Big hugs Marianne

Allison
08-12-2016, 10:15 PM
Memories are bittersweet. Hugs.

labblab
08-10-2021, 03:10 PM
When I reopened this thread today, I couldn’t believe it’s been five years since I was here to write to you, Sweetheart. You’re never far away from my heart in my daily life, but I just hadn’t been back to revisit you here. When I wrote last, Peg had just run off to join you. It gives me such peace to think of you still together, and now with Grandmother there alongside you both, as well. Finally, after all these many years since you first had to leave us, I can honestly say that this anniversary is holding only warm memories for me instead of tears. What a journey this has been. But today I’m not thinking about the end, I’m thinking about the beginning and all the joy and love that you and Daddy and I shared together. You were our first baby, and our Bestest Boy, for sure. In some ways, it seems like such a long time now since we were together. But in other ways, I can close my eyes and it seems like only yesterday. I will love you always.

I do have one more favor to ask. Luna will be turning 13 in a couple of weeks and so we know that, before too long, we’ll be needing to ask for your help once again just like you helped us with Peg. Although it’s getting really hard for her to climb the stairs, every night Luna still wants to come up with us to sleep on *your* bed, just like Peg did before her. I love seeing her snuggled there, and I know you’re watching over her just like you did with Peg. Now both you and Peg will be there to help Daddy and me, and to welcome your little sister when her time comes. Knowing that’s true gives me so much comfort.

So I’ll be lighting a special candle tonight, Sweetheart, just for you. You changed my life for the better in so many ways. You made me a doggy mommy. Thank you for everything, my Angel. Thank you for it all.

I held you in my arms for as long as I could, and now I will hold you in my heart forever.
Love always from Your Mom

Joan2517
08-10-2021, 08:46 PM
Oh, Marianne...this is so sweet and I'm crying. 17 years....

Budsters Mom
08-10-2021, 09:52 PM
You Bestest Boy will always be a true blessing to us all because he shared you with us! Thank you Barkis!