PDA

View Full Version : Lysodren

Coolidge
07-27-2009, 12:45 PM
Just got back from a vet visit with Coolidge. Dr. said she went to a vet conference in Seattle. The endocrinologists were talking about the fact that lysodren's use in humans may be discontinued (they found a better drug), and with that - probably wouldn't be available much longer.:eek:

Has anyone else heard this? If true, is there anything Cushingoid parents can do to get the manufacturer to reconsider it's decision for animal treatment only?

Squirt's Mom
07-27-2009, 02:00 PM
Hi Becky,

We have been told that as well and it concerns me a bit, too. I would think Lyso can continue to be compounded just as Trilo was before the FDA approved it for use in the USA. It may be that we have to start ordering from another country as many did with Trilo, too. I also wonder if just because it is dropped for human use if it wouldn't still be available for veterinary usage. I imagine we will be hearing quite a bit from cush parents over this action but as for what we can do about it, I'm not sure. I plan to ask Squirt's doc if she has heard anything about it and how it will impact our cush babies. When I have her input, I will pass it on.

Hugs,
Leslie and the girls

SasAndYunah
07-27-2009, 02:57 PM
Becky, Leslie,

all I can do is tell you what happened here in The Netherlands once Trilostane was approved. Since Lysodren was and is not approved as a veterinary medication, it was allowed to prescribe Lysodren because there was nothing else. Once Trilostane was approved as a veterinary medication, Lysodren was no longer allowed. There are a few (2 or 3) IM's that can still prescribe Lysodren for special use. They have a special liscense to prescribe and authorise the use of Lysodren. They too are the only ones who can order it...

This is the Dutch situation but I wouldn't be surprised that since in the USA the situation is now the same (Trilostane approved and Lysodren not) some simular thing will happen there as well.

Saskia and Yunah.

AlisonandMia
07-28-2009, 09:35 AM
This issue regarding the imminent withdrawal of Lysodren from the market has been coming up regularly for at least the last 8 years that we know of - and to date it hasn't happened yet.

Before a human drug is discontinued the FDA has to be notified six months prior to the discontinuation and that information is posted on the FDA website. Here's a link to the relevant webpage at the FDA site: http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/DrugShortages/ucm050794.htm You'll see that Lysodren is not listed there.

Despite all this we are looking into this further.

Alison