I'm a new member as we just got the confirmed cushings diagnosis today. My poor Cooper has been through a lot the last 3 months. Cooper is a (approximately) 10 year old, previously 73 pound, now 58 pound German shorthaired pointer. He's been drinking excessively for 2 years or so. He was tested multiple times for diabetes. Every time it can back normal but his liver enzymes were elevated, but not enough to be concerned about.

3 months ago he started peeing in the house and very quickly lost weight. That time his blood glucose level was over 500. We were told he also showed signs of cushings but the vet wanted to control the diabetes first. We did a steady increase in insulin (humulin n) until we reached 28 units. For the first time his blood glucose level was 230. He also had a bladder infection that required tougher and tougher antibiotics. Throughout the 3 months of insulin increases, there were so many factors that had to be considered, was the bladder infection causing insulin resistance? Was the possible cushings causing insulin resistance?

Once his bg level was somewhat acceptable, we waited 2 weeks then did a urinalysis to make sure the bladder infection was gone. Of course it wasn't and a urine culture was ordered. And the tested his bg again since the sugar was high in his urine. His level was up in the upper 300s. The vet said it's probably time to switch insulin. And he also thought it was time to test for cushings.

Cushings test was positive (I don't know the levels but it was an acth test). The vet has decided to keep him on humulin with the hope that his dose will decrease as his cushings is controlled. We'll be starting vetoryl tomorrow, along with a 6 week course of antibiotics since his bladder infection is still present.

At this point I don't have many questions since I've been doing an insane amount of research. I guess I'm just hoping for some stories of other dogs with diabetes and cushings. Specifically dogs being regulated for both at the same time. I haven't had much luck finding happy endings, which is something we're prepared for, we just want an honest idea of what to expect.