Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member intro: pituitary dependent Cushings in a 13 yr old dachsund

Red face New member intro: pituitary dependent Cushings in a 13 yr old dachsund

Hello everyone. My name is Marianne. MY husband and I are parents to three female dogs: Harley, a 13 year old black and tan dachshund; Heidi, a 7 year old red dachshund; and Bonnie, a 2 1/2 year old cairn terrier. Harley was just diagnosed with pituitary dependent Cushing's. I am happy to have found this forum so that I can be an informed veterinary consumer! Not that my vet hasn't been absolutely forthcoming, but I am a somewhat cautious individual!
    We first suspected a problem with Harley a couple of months ago, when she she began to have many urinary accidents combined with significantly increased appetite and thirst. The results of a CBC, urinalysis and low dose dexamethasone suppression test provided sufficient evidence for a diagnosis of pituitary dependent diabetes.
    I should receive an information packet from my pet in a few days which will outline treatment options that she briefly described via the telephone.
    It seems like the members of this forum have a lot to offer in terms of experience, knowledge and caring. I will likely be a frequent visitor during the course of Harley's treatment.

Default Re: New member intro: pituitary dependent Cushings in a 13 yr old dachsund

Hi Marianne,

Just want to take a few minutes to Welcome you and the "family". This is a great place to find both facts and friends. The Resources forum has a ton of information and links. And soon you will discover many more members here to welcome you and help you once a treatment plan has been set out. One thing I know they will be wanting to know are the numbers from the LDDS test.

Doxies and Cairn Terriers (along with Bichons & Poodles) hold a special place in my heart, so I will be your number one cheerleader!!!

~Mary Ann

Default Re: New member intro: pituitary dependent Cushings in a 13 yr old dachsund

Hi Marianne,

Corky and I would like to say hi and welcome you and Harley.

You have found a very wonderful caring and supportive group of people, who have a greath wealth of knowledge and experience.

Terri

Hi and welcome to you and you family, two legged and 4 legged.

I am also going to be joining the cheer squad and hope to hear more info when you have it.

Jenny

Hi Marianne,
    Welcome to you and Harley, and the rest of your babies, from me and Princess (7 year old lab) with PDH/Cushings. Quick question since I'm def. no expert with all this. You mentioned your Harley was diagnosed with pituitary dependent diabetes? Perhaps that was an oversight on your part or does your Harley suffer from diabetes or Cushings? I believe they are two different conditions, so it would be great if you would clarify such for when the real experts chime in to give you their wonderful advice. I'm sorry for your precious pup's diagnosis, but there is so much hope. When my baby was first diagnosed I was hopeless since I was receiving mixed information from my gp and IMS, but I joined this forum and they lead me and every step of the way to where I am today, and that's a happier place righ now. I look forward to reading on Harley's progress. All the best, Regards and luv, xo Jeanette

Welcome to you & your pack, Marianne! I'm very sorry to hear about Harley's diagnosis, but you have come to the right place. I must warn you that we tend to play "20 questions" with new members. Before I start with the questions, I will tell you that my Harley, who will be 15 very soon, was diagnosed at 13, & has been doing pretty well the 2 years since diagnosis. He is being treated with lysodren. My 1st cushpup, Barkley, was successfully treated with lysodren for nearly 8 years, crossing the bridge at 15.

The first thing, which Jeanette has already asked about, I assume you made a typo & meant pit dependent Cushing's, & not diabetes? Were both diabetes & thyroid problems ruled out? I ask about those 2 conditions as a lot of their symptoms overlap with Cushing's. You have given us a good start describing symptoms that led you to take Harley to the vet. Is Harley suffering from any other common symptoms such as muscle wasting especially in the back end, skin/coat issues, or infections that are difficult to control & heal? When it comes to the testing that has been done, could you post the actual numbers for us? If you don't have copies of Harley's results, your vet should be happy to provide them. Most members do keep files on their babies at home as you never know when they might come in handy, especially if you end up at a strange vet. When it comes to the general screening labwork, we would be especially interested in seeing any abnormal results on a chemistry panel including liver enzymes. There are very common elevations in liver enzymes in our pups that will often lead a vet to suspect Cushing's. If you could post just the abnormals, along with the normal range & reporting units, that would be great. When it comes to Cushing's specific testing, was the LDDS the only test done? There are normally 3 results on that test, a baseline, 4 hour, & 8 hour result. A Cushing's savy vet will normally do more than a single test to make the diagnosis as Cushing's is the most difficult disease to get a confirmed diagnosis. The LDDS is considered to be the gold standard for diagnosis, but it has a huge drawback, as it can yield false positive results in the presence of non-adrenal illness such as diabetes. Some of the other tests that might have been done are an ACTH, high dose dex, or even an abdominal ultrasound. Please don't misunderstand, I'm not trying to question your vet, but it can be extremely dangerous to administer either of the 2 medications to a non-cush pup. This is why it is crucial to have a confirmed diagnosis before starting treatment. Cushing's is a disease that literally progresses at a snail's pace taking several years to the damage to our pup's internal organs. You have plenty of time to make sure of the diagnosis & educate yourself about the disease. I hope you will take a look at the forum's important information & resource section as it contains a huge number of links that will lead you to just about any information you might need concerning Cushing's.

Looking forward to hearing more.

Debbie
    Mom to 2 Cushing's angels

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. Yes, Jeanette and Debbie, I mistyped and meant "Cushings" and not "diabetes".
    Harley does present with some of the other Cushing's symptoms: General sluggishness (except where food is concerned), a pot bellied appearance, and achange in her hindquarters appearance, which could be due to muscle loss. Also, she sort of waddles when she walks. Other than some bilateral loss of fur on her hind legs (what we would call knees), her coat is in pretty good shape.
    At the moment, I only have the CBC results to share. The elevated liver enzymes were the first indicator that Cushing's may be present.
    Here are the abnormals:

ALK. Phospahatase = 288 (high) reference range 10-150 U/L
    ALT (SGPT) = 155 (high) reference range 5-1-7 U/L
    Cholesterol = 347 (high) reference range 112-328
    TCo2 (Bicarbonate) = 30 (high) reference range 17-24 EqL
    T4 = .9 (Borderline hypothyroidism) reference range .9 - 3.9
    Neutrophil SEG = 82 (high) reference range 60-77
    Lymphocytes = 10 (low) reference range 12-30%
    Eosinophil = 0 (low) reference range 2-10 %
    Absssolute lymphocytye = 910 (low) reference range 1000-4800/ul
    Absolute Eosinophil = 0 (low) reference range 100-1250 /ul

I'll post the LDDS and urinalysis test results after we see the vet on Saturday.
    Thanks again everyone!

Marianne

Hi Marianne,

Welcome to you and Harley from me and my boy Harley!! My very lovable 13 y/o boy, Harley, is a Pomeranian who has PDH Cushings and is being treated with Lysodren.

This Cushings Disease can be a scary, frustrating and confusing journey, at least it was for me until I found this forum with these amazing and wonderful people. The one most important thing you can do for Harley is educate yourself about Cushings because you are Harley's only voice, his only true advocate. The more you learn about this dratted disease, the more empowered you become. So ask all the questions you want and we will answer them the best we can.

Here is a link to get you started on your reading.
    Links to Cushings Websites (especially helpful for new members!)
    http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180

Just remember you are not alone on this journey, we are here for you and Harley.

Love and hugs,
    Lori

T4 = .9 (Borderline hypothyroidism) reference range .9 - 3.9
    Harley may not be truly hypothyroid. There is an associated condition that goes with Cushing's called sick euthyroid syndrome. Once the Cushing's is under control, the thyroid function will test normal. In a cushpup that show a low regular T4 result, it is necessary to confirm with a free T4 by equilibrium dialysis to make absolutely sure that hypothyroid is in play. My Harley has tested with a low T4 on his last 2 chem panels & my vet & I have an understanding that any time Harley comes back with a low T4, the vet is to call the lab & add on a free T4 to confirm. Both times the free T4 has been done, it's been perfectly normal.

Your Harley does, indeed, show the classic elevations in liver enzymes that most cushpups demonstrate. I will say that the alk phos elevation is pretty mild as we have seen other pups in this group have alk phos values in the several thousands. My 1st boy, Barkley, could run an alk phos between 1200-1500 routinely. The vet never worried about as it was do to the stress on the liver from the Cushing's. The only time that raised a concern was when it climbed to over 2000, but adding some liver support supplements such as milk thistle helped the alk phos to go back down.

If you ever have any questions about labwork, please feel free to ask me. Just to let you know I'm a medical lab technologist with almost 30 years experience, so I'm kind of used to looking at these kind of numbers.

Debbie
    Mom to 2 Cushing's angels

Hi Marianne and welcome to you and Harley....as well as Heidi and Bonnie!

Don't have anything to add to what others have said but wanted you to know how glad I am that you found us and have joined our family here. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. If you just need to talk, we will be here to listen.

Like Mary Ann, I will be rooting for Harley....I have a special place in my heart for Terriers in general (I have 3 mixes!) and my Squirt is 1/2 Cairn. She has so much personality even in her old age and give me much joy.

Please keep in touch often!
    Hugs,
    Leslie and the girls - always
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.