Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Milly just diagnosed with Cushings

Default Milly just diagnosed with Cushings

Milly is a 7yr old Bichon Frise and it was definitely confirmed last week that she had Cushings. It is Pituitary related.
    She started to have 10mg of Vetoryl daily and she is now on her fourth day. I haven't noticed much difference as yet although her panting has decreased. I'm a little worried today as she is a little unsettled. She didn't want to go 'walkies' and she keeps wanting to just lie on the kitchen floor.This is a change from yesterday when she appeared brighter.All she seems to want to do is sleep all day. The reason we took her to the vet was because we noticed she was panting a lot.
    As we are due to go away on Saturday,taking Milly with us,she is having a blood test on Friday.
    Am I expecting too much too soon?

mytil is offline Administrator and always In Loving Memory

Default Re: Milly just diagnosed with Cushings

Hi and welcome to you and Milly.

When you get the chance, list all the tests (and their results) performed to come to the diagnosis of Cushing's. What other symptoms does she have that prompted the vet to test for Cushing's?

Regarding your question about expecting too much too soon......I wanted to mention that as the cortisol levels drop within the first weekish it can make the dog feel "punky." It is the system adjusting to the lowering cortisol and will level off. BUT I would keep an eye on her just in case and also mention this to your vet when you see them on Friday or sooner should it get worse. The test should be an ACTH test which will show the cortisol levels.

Here is a link that provides further information about Vetoryl/Trilostane - http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185 (good reading).

Keep us posted,
    Terry

Welcome to the forum. How much does Milly weigh? 10 mg seems like it should be about right or at least not too much for her breed. How is her eating and drinking? As terry mentioned if you could post test results that would help us give better feed back.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Milly weighs 6.5 kg. The vet is only young but he is very good. He picked up that it might be Cushings straight away.She has also has had a scan.
    The symptoms of Cushings she had were: very pale urine which when tested showed an abnormality.Something to do with her liver. She was lethargic, increased weight and panting a lot and drinking a lot of water.575 ml in 24 hrs.
    I don't really want to ask for her blood results as he may think I doubt his diagnosis. He keeps me informed every step of the way what he is doing and rings me up as soon as he has the test results.
    Thank you for this very helpful forum. It is good to know and read about other dogs with Cushings.
    I do so hope when the medication levels out she will be back to her normal bouncy self.Luckily she is insured and they will cover her for life.
    She is still eating everything she can but I give her a bowl of mixed raw vegetables/fruit now and again. She likes carrots, runner beans, stalks of broccoli, melon, blueberries,banana and apple.
    Last edited by Milly; 10-12-2015 at 03:05 PM.

I just wanted to stop by and say welcome. Milly sure is cute and I could not help but smile at her bowl of fruit and veggies.

I too hope she gets back to her bouncy self once her Cushings is controlled.

Welcome!
    love,
    addy, zoe and koko

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton

Memory is the power to gather roses in the winter

Okay so 14 lb. 10mg should be fine. Did you have an ACTH prior to starting by any chance? Some do some some don't if the Ldds was used to diagnose the Cushing's.
    You will want to have an ACTH at around day 12 to verify her levels nd how she is reacting to the medication.
    Of she vomits or starts having diarrhea or becomes wobbly can't stand then stop medication and check levels.
    She should be okay on this dose but any dog can react more or less to the meds. To any meds.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Milly has been on Vetoryl 10mg for 14 days.She had a test after 7 days as we were going on holiday with Milly for a week. The vet was happy with the results and said the Vetoryl was doing its job. Her panting has only just got better but tonight( here in the UK) She has started staggering about. Otherwise she appears OK. She still has an appetite but doesn't enjoy going for a walk. As we are still on holiday,going home tomorrow, I am stopping the Vetoryl and ringing the vet if I can but it's weekend so he may not be available. Am I doing the right thing? Is this staggering a common side effect of Vetoryl?
    Last edited by Milly; 10-23-2015 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Spelling

Welcome, you will find a lot of valuable resources here. The members are very knowledgable, they will give you sound advice and great listeners. Us, other junior members are in similar situations like you with Cush dogs.

Tammy (Jenna's mommy)

Are you seeing any other signs that indicate the cortisol may be going too low - loose stools/diarrhea, nausea/vomiting, lethargy, loss of appetite?

Some pups on Vetoryl experience a sort of withdrawal period in the beginning. Vetoryl can lower the cortisol very rapidly, causing this reaction in some pups. They never really show signs of an overdose but are really off for a little bit then rally back to themselves.

You have absolutely done the right thing in stopping the med and calling the vet. That is the right reaction anytime you are concerned. This is the good thing about Vetoryl - it can be stopped and restarted easily without losing ground.

Let us know how Milly is doing, ok?
    Hugs,
    Leslie and the gang
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Thank you. A locum vet rang me back this morning and she advised stopping the Vetoryl until I see the regular vet on Tuesday(day off Mon)or maybe just give her one 10mg on Monday.
    She has no other signs just the staggering. She is not as bad today but she is not happy walking.