Thread: New member - possible Cushing's, Bailey, Siberian Husky, 8-1/2 yrs old

Unhappy New member - possible Cushing's, Bailey, Siberian Husky, 8-1/2 yrs old

Hello,

Some recent blood/urine results are indicating we need to do further testing for Cushing’s disease on our Siberian Husky - Bailey, 8-1/2 yrs old. As you will see, he has many issues and take my word for it, a very thick medical file.

Results:
    Urine Creatine 8156
    Urine Bile Acids 14.9
    Urine BA/Creat Rati 16.6 0 – 7.7

Urine Cortisol 695
    Urine Cortisol/Creatinine 85.2 0- 10.0

We recently switched vets after 22 yrs and our new vet asked had we ever checked for Cushing’s disease, we had not. With our recent results, he suggested we learn as much as we can about it. We scheduled the LDDS test for Thursday April 1.

Bailey has a few Cushing’s symptoms. Poor coat, flaky skin, Alopecia thinning hair, exercise intolerance, hind-leg weakness, and elevated liver enzymes. Some of these side effects have always been contributed to the PB he’s been on for years.

Here’s some of this history:
    February 2004, at the age of three, he had his first seizure. The pattern was one every 4-6 weeks, then a break for 4-5 months. In August 2005, he began to have cluster seizures so we had to put him on Phenobarbital and Potassium Bromide.

June 2006, we were able to wean him off PB, and he went a full year seizure free. However, the seizures returned and PB was restarted.

October 2008, diagnosed with low thyroid and is on Thyro tabs.
    February 2010, removed a non-invasive malignant tumor from his elbow.
    Dx with Immune Keratitis, prior to this he has had different eye issues on and off.
    Now the possibility of Cushing’s disease.

Six months ago, we lost our other husky to Hemangiosarcoma he was two weeks shy of his 8th birthday, and here I am joining my third support group.

How much knowledge can the human brain handle? We need to learn more in order to help our babies, but the more we learn the more we unfortunately become all too familiar with the devastating diseases that invade our precious ones bodies.

I guess I should tell you a little bit about Bailey…He is a horse at 68lbs, and stubborn as a mule, but the gentlest of giants. I believe he misses his brother, (not a littermate, but from the same breeder) we brought them home together. He is our baby, we love him, and will always do what is best for him.

Thanks for listening and sharing your stories.

P.S. Are there others here whose dogs have Epilepsy and Cushing’s?

Beth
    Bailey, epi - b 9/26/01,
    Angel, Jasper, 9/25/01 - 9/12/09 dx HSA , Splenectomy 1/29/09,
    Angel, Chinook, 4/1/91 - 10/29/00 cardiac HSA,
    Angel,Tyler, 6/12/87 - 1/12/01

Default Re: New member - possible Cushing's, Bailey, Siberian Husky, 8-1/2 yrs old

Hi Beth,

Welcome to you and Bailey from me and my boy Harley. I am so sorry for the circumstances that brought you here but very glad you found this forum. There is an amazing and knowledgeable group of loving people here that are very versed in Cushings and endocrine diseases in dogs. We will help you in any way we can.

Quote Originally Posted by bails View Post
    Bailey has a few Cushing’s symptoms. Poor coat, flaky skin, Alopecia thinning hair, exercise intolerance, hind-leg weakness, and elevated liver enzymes. Some of these side effects have always been contributed to the PB he’s been on for years.
    Beth
    I am assuming you are talking about the Phenobarbital here?

It is well known that phenobarbital will induce increases in liver enzyme activities (SAP, ALT) in most dogs. Also Phenobarbital treatment can alter thyroid testing. Phenobarbital treatment is associated with decreased total serum T4 and decreased free T4.
    http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB...00/PR00194.htm

The (UC:CR) Urine Cortisol/Creatinine Ratio test only rules out cushings, it does not confirm it, and like any Cushing's test if a dog has any non-adrenal illness, it can create a false positive. Not one Cushing's test is 100% specific or sensitive to the type of Cushings a dog might have. The one good thing is that Cushings is a slow progressing disease, so one does have the time to get their furbaby a proper diagnosis. A proper diagnosis is vital to a proper treatment plan.

Strong symptoms are a huge part of making the diagnosis, and although Bailey does show some of the symptoms of Cushings; exercise intolerance, hind-leg weakness, flaky skin, and elevated liver enzymes, I don't see the usual symptoms in Bailey. Our cush pups in the beginning are usually drinking tons of water and peeing rivers and trying to eat everything not nailed down...but all dogs are different and react different.

I am sure the others will be along to welcome you and Bailey, and offer their advice/opinions as well. If you have any questions please feel free to ask and we will answer them as best we can, ok. Just remember you are not alone on this journey, we are here to help you in any way we can.

Here are some links for you to read about Cushings.

Links to Cushings Websites (especially helpful for new members!)
    http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180

Here is a link to our Resource Section.

Helpful Resources for Owners of Cushing's Dogs
    http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10

Love and hugs,
    Lori

Default Re: New member - possible Cushing's, Bailey, Siberian Husky, 8-1/2 yrs old

Hi Beth,

I just wanted to welcome you and Bailey, this is an amazing group of people with a huge amount of knowledge and experience about a lot of doggy disorders, and they are also very skilled at hand-holding.
    I'm so sorry Bailey has had so many issues, and also for your recent loss of his brother.

Jane, Franklin and Bailey xxx
    ________
    THE CIGAR BOSS
    Last edited by Franklin'sMum; 05-02-2011 at 06:46 AM.