Thread: 10 year old maltipoo dx with Cushing?

Default 10 year old maltipoo dx with Cushing?

The liver enzymes and urine show Cushing, also ultrasound showed adrenal gland and liver a little enlarged. She does not have a lot of the symptoms her coat is fine, does not have the pot belly, also does not eat that much. She does drink water all the time. She also has arthritis spine, front legs. Quite often she paces at nite even though she had her pain killers. Not sure if I should start treatment for Cushing. Any suggestions! thanks Diane Shaughnessy

Default Re: 10 year old maltipoo dx with Cushing?

Hello Diane, and welcome to you and your girl! I have only a minute to post, but I wanted to explain that I've shifted your thread to our main discussion forum. This way, more of our members are likely to see it and respond.

Thanks for the info you've already given us. I am wondering, though, whether your girl has had one of the diagnostic blood tests that are specific to Cushing's -- either the ACTH stimulation test or the LDDS (low dose dexamethasone suppression)? The other items you've mentioned can be consistent with Cushing's, but they can also result from other conditions, as well. Especially since your girl lacks some of the outward symptoms that are most common with Cushing's, I would not want to proceed to treatment without the validation of one of these specific tests.

Marianne

Hi and welcome to you and your little girl! In order for us to provide you with the best feedback, it is helpful if you would get copies of all tests that were done on your dog and post those abnormal values along with their normal ranges. With respect to the blood chemistry and complete blood count (CBC), you need only post the highs and lows. Does your girl have any underlying illness that she is taking medication for? And if so, what is it and what is the medication? Is she taking any supplements, medications or herbs? Was an urinalysis done and if so could you post those findings too?

We have a wealth of information regarding Cushing's in our Resource forum -- the medications used, and treatment protocols as well as articles written by some of the most renown veterinarians that specialize in endocrinology such as David Bruyette, Mark Peterson, and Edward Feldman. So please utilize it to educate yourself and if you have any questions do not hesitate to ask them. We all eventually figured out that safe and effective treatment is much easier facilitated if the vet is experienced and the pet owner is educated. Here's a link to our Resource thread:

http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10
    Judy H. (Always "Maggie and Abbie's Mom" & now "Sadie Sue's Mom")
    Venice, FL

How do I post to the main discussion? Having trouble finding my way around. Diane

You're right where you need to be!

Just go ahead and add another reply right here. This thread will always remain on the main discussion forum now.

Marianne

I agree that a cushings specific test would be needed to verify prior to starting any kind of medication.

Was any sort of wellness test done? if so can you post the abnormal results (high/low and range) That helps us to give you better feedback.

How old is your dog? I ask because you have to sometimes make quality of life decisions too. As in an older dog, with known arthritis conditions, might need their cortisol to be a bit higher than say a dog with no known arthritis problems. So if cushings is involved, it is a question of whether to treat at all, or whether to treat but with a smaller dose for example. (i'm dealing with similiar issues with my own dog and arthritis pain.)

Welcome to the forum.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

I have the blood wk Alk phosphates level is 1093 normal is 5-31, specific gravity 1.013 ph 8.0 normal 5.5 7.0 trace of protein HIGH
    ultra sound show adrenal gland was large and liver slightly in larged
    The vet said this can be hard to treat. Going for acht test, but not sure if I should treat .

see how high the ACTH is and if it confirms the Cushing's.
    Maybe a very low dose would be helpful Discuss this possibility with your vet.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)