Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Scared! Dog just got diagnosed with Cushing (Chemo has passed)

Default Re: Scared! Dog just got diagnosed with Cushing.

left adrenal not the right sry . So he said left adrenal was enlarged but alot smaller than he would have expected it to be. The right adrenal gland is smaller than normal. So he came to the conclusion of adrenal dependent cushings.. IMS said if it was his dog he would do the surgery. Also said the left adrenal gland was easier to remove. Is that true? He is contacting the surgeon he recommended so we could get prices and talk about the procedure....

His upset stomach was from parasites! We have him on a dewormer now also.

As for the testical he said the surgeon could just do it all at once.

I'm still debating if I should have the surgery done. I would hate my self if anything happened in surgery or post op.

I was told that the left adrenal gland is usually a little easier to remove because it isn't located quite as close to the vena cava, which is the largest vein that takes blood from the organs back up to the liver and heart. The right adrenal gland is usually stuck to the vena cava which makes things harder.

Did they say whether they thought the tumor was invading the veins? That can make surgery trickier. Often a CT is recommended so they can know for sure whether the tumor is growing inside the veins or still contained within the adrenal gland. They can get a pretty good idea about that on ultrasound, but CT is best. Not every surgeon requires a CT...it is definitely best, but the surgeon I ended up choosing felt comfortable enough with our ultrasounds (I had two different people do them right before surgery, and he'd had five total ultrasounds within about 18 months) and her ability to go ahead and deal with anything in the veins during surgery. But, a different surgeon may have a vastly different idea and push really hard for the CT scan. The CT will also help look for metastasis (spread) of the cancer too.

I talked to two different places/surgeons about costs and risks. You want to make sure the surgeon has done this type of surgery several times before and feels comfortable with it and has had good outcomes. It is a risky surgery even for a perfectly healthy dog. It is scary having to make those decisions, believe me, I know. It's easy to dwell on the 1 in 5 dogs that do not survive the recovery period with adrenalectomy, but the reverse of that means that 4 out of 5 dogs do make it. If you go forward with surgery, you're going to have to come to some type of terms with the unfortunate but real risk that he could die, but know you were making the decision you thought was in his best interest at the time.

I'd encourage you to meet with the surgeon and see what they have to say. Ask them the questions posted here, and really be sure everyone is comfortable with whatever decision you make. We're here to support whatever you decide. If you haven't already, reading some of the stories of dogs like Flynn on here is enlightening. Many of the pets undergoing adrenalectomy have good outcomes, but others do not, but I felt like it gave me a good idea of what to expect and ask Winston's doctors.
    Kellie, dog-mom to Winston

Thanks. He should get back to me here in a couple days. Then me and the surgeon will discuss everything.

Chemo had his acth stem . Game back at good levels at a really low dose. He is only on 30mg for a 85 pounds dog. Talked to the specailest he dosnt want the surgery anymore because of these results.

Could you post those stim numbers for us, please? Thanks!

I believe it was 1.6 or something like that I'll check when I get home.

I cant seem to find the paper.

We always call the vet and have them email all the notes, test results, and her chart. It actually helped us (with the help of this amazing forum) with comparing test results to previous test results to help with questions to ask the vet or suggestions to take when we needed help with Sammi.

One of the amazing people on this forum suggested that and it has been so helpful to us when we had to rush Sammi to another vet closer to our house in an emergency. We have her entire history in one file at moment's notice.

1.6 if that is the post result would be right on border line of how low he could go safely. So he is definitely being controlled. You'll want to keep an eye that he doesn't go too low though
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Molly muffin. She did say he was right on the line. Have you ever heard of a 85 pound dog only needing 30mg. We have his nueter in 10 days so that will fix his prostate.