Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Max - 14/15 yr old Maltese - kidney issues - debating continuation of Lysodren

Default Re: Max - 11 year old Maltese (Atypical Cushings) - started Lysodren Maintenance Dose

Glynda,

Yes, thank you, I do have Prednisone.

As of now, Max IS eating, which makes me feel somewhat okay (Although I think anxiousness is outweighing the okay feeling ).

I will watch him for sure.

Thanks again,
    Janette

Default Re: Max - 11 year old Maltese (Atypical Cushings) - started Lysodren Maintenance Dose

Just an update on Max:

He IS eating, so that is good. But I can tell his appetite is somewhat on the low side. He will eat his canned dog food, but I haven't seen him eat any of the dry dog food (which is always out for him) and he did not take a dog cookie (whereas he would normally want TWO [or more if he could get them] cookies).

He is a bit on the lethargic side I would say, but he does walk around, and did some sniffing/snuffling around when we were outside on the walk (which I was glad to see - that he was interested in his surroundings).

When I run my hand down his spine, he seems sensitive in certain spots - he has a bad back, so I am sure he is feeling some pain (which I know is to be expected with the lowering of the cortisol).

I contemplated whether or not to give him a dose of prednisone, but ultimately decided to hold off as long as he is still eating at the level he currently is. If his appetite gets worse I can always give him the prednisone....

Working under the assumption that he is in some pain, I gave him Tramadol. I think pain could also be an explanation for the lower appetite and not moving around too much. Hopefully I will see some improvement with the Tramadol.

I did ask the vet before I gave him the Tramadol and also checked that there would be no problem/interaction between the Tramadol and the prednisone in case I do decide to try a dose of prednisone. The vet said that would be okay.

I am hoping that Max feels better tomorrow than he does today. A little improvement bit by bit would be good.

Janette

another update:

I did decide to give him a prednisone - mainly to see if I would notice a marked improvement.

However, when I put the prednisone in his canned food (as I do all his meds), he wanted nothing to do with it. After tempting him with other types of food, Max finally swallowed the prednisone.

An hour or so later, I really couldn't say if I saw any change, so I started worrying more about electrolytes being out of whack.

I decided to take him to the emergency vet to get the electrolytes checked, and the good news is that they seem fine. Specifically:

Na: 159 mmmol/L (normal range is 144 - 160)
    K: 4.2 mmol/L (normal range is 3.5 - 5.8)
    CI: 114 mmol/L (normal range is 109 - 122)

All good news and will let me sleep better than I did last night......

Janette

A belated welcome to you from Casey and myself Once you are loaded it does get a lot easier. You seem to be on top of things and know what to look for which is great. Just so you know my dog has been on Lysodren for two years now and is doing just fine - it is a life saver.
    Ellen, Sweet Angel Casey, Desi and Oreo

I am happy that Max's electrolytes are within the normal ranges.

The prednisone, from my own prior use, is very bitter tasting. If you should ever have to give it again I would recommend wrapping the prednisone in some kind of lunch meat or cream cheese.

Keep up the great work and keep us posted!

Love and hugs,
    Lori

Thanks for the welcomes and the good thoughts.

Also thanks for telling me that the prednisone is bitter tasting. That is good to know. I know that the Tramadol is bitter because Max often spits it out

I talked to the IMS this morning and she is suggesting I give Max prednisone for the next few days (3 days maximum) and see if he gets to feeling better. And then re-stim him on Monday evening and see where he is.

The current thinking is that, after the stim results come in, we would then start Max on the low end of the maintenance dose range by giving him 31.25 mg three times a week.

So that's the plan.....I will keep posting with updates.

Janette

Janette, I have not posted to you previously. I did want to make sure that you were aware that you really should wait at least 24 hours after giving pred before having a stim done. The pred will read like cortisol on the stim, & give you falsely elevated results.

Debbie
    Mom to 2 Cushing's angels

Question Re: Max - 11 year old Maltese (Atypical Cushings) - finished Lysodren Loading

My vet said to fast Max 12 hours prior to the ACTH stim test. They use IDEXX labs for the test results.

I am curious - does everyone else fast their dogs for 12 hours prior? I am Googling the topic and am having a tougher time than I thought finding an immediate consensus..

I am asking because Max has a 5pm stim test scheduled for tomorrow evening so it's very awkward timing if I have to fast him 12 hours. Ten hours would fit into our usual routine....

Janette

My vet required a 12 hour fast on all stims, but told me that it had to be an absolute minimum of 10 hours, if I couldn't get my Harley to do 12. This is really a sample requirement of the lab performing the testing & not the vet.

Debbie
    Mom to 2 Cushing's angels

Buddy was never fasted for his ACTH tests. He was diabetic so was fed and had insulin around 6am and tested about 10am.

I assume they made allowances for this in the testing. I was always reminded not to give a fatty meal before the test but Buddy was on a low fat diet so it was never an issue.

Jenny