Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14 yr old cockapoo female with cushings

Default 14 yr old cockapoo female with cushings

My little girl was diagnosed 7 months ago with Cushings, and is taking trilostane. She goes in 1 weeks for her blood work, but I notice she is drinking more water than she normally does, should I be concerned and take her in or wait for her appt? Does this mean her meds might to be regulated? so glad I found this forum.

Default Re: 14 yr old cockapoo female with cushings

Hi and welcome to you and your little girl,

Please tell us more about her and her diagnosis, symptoms and testing How much does she weigh and how many mg's of Trilostane is she getting per day?
    John (Roxee & Rozee's Dad)

Welcome to the forum. We need to ask lots of questions in order to help you the best we can. What tests were run to diagnose the Cushings. Please get copies and tell us all the abnormal results, and the normal range of the lab that did the testing as they are all different. What kind of dog do you have and how much does it weigh? What dosage of trilostane are you giving and how often? What are the symptoms that you dog was experiencing? Is your vet familiar with treating cushngs? I am hoping that if your dog in fact does have cushings that you were told to start on a low dose as that helps the dogs body adjust to the drug. You will want to keep a daily doggie diary on your dog. It is a really good thing to get and read as much as you can on this disease as you are your dogs only advocate. With proper management and a watchful eye your dog can live out it's natural life. We are all on board to help you now so you are not alone with this. The others will be on to ask their questions and say hello. Whenever you need help we are here. Blessings
    Patti
    Tipper and Tipper's Mom

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
    Mahatma Ghandi

Thanks for allowing me to be here.
    She is a 14.8 yr old female cockapoo who weights about 21.6 lbs.
    Her last labs were:
    07-09-13 Cortisol Sample 1 4.9 ug/dL 1.000 - 5.000 ug/dL Dublin
    07-09-13 Cortisol Sample 2 6.2 ug/dL Below Normal 8.000 - 17.000 ug/dL
    She currently is talking 10 mg of trilostane twice a day and also Rimadyl 25mg for some arthritis.
    As to her diagnosis, the vet felt that because of her body stature (pot belly) she might have cushings...as she was not drinking alot or peeing alot, but had started to pant more. He asked to test her and it came back as cushings. But recently she has been drinking more and peeing more so was wondering if I should take her in before her appt. in one week, to see if bloodwork shows a need to change dosage?

Welcome,

She could have a UTI, she could need a dose change, I wish we had more information. Do you have the original test results that were used to diagnose her? If so could you post them here? Have you had any other blood work done?

Tell us as much as you can and give us as many test results (readings that are high or low).

Was the ACTH test in July the only one in seven months?
    love,
    addy, zoe and koko

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton

Memory is the power to gather roses in the winter

05-31-13 Cortisol Sample 1 9.0 ug/dL Above Normal 1.000 - 5.000 ug/dL Dublin
    05-31-13 Cortisol Sample 2 Dex 1.5 ug/dL Above Normal 0.000 - 1.400 ug/dL Dublin
    05-31-13 Cortisol Sample 3 Dex 3.1 ug/dL Above Normal 0.000 - 1.400 ug/dL
    06-18-13 Cortisol Sample 1 3.5 ug/dL 1.000 - 5.000 ug/dL Dublin
    06-18-13 Cortisol Sample 2 5.2 ug/dL Below Normal 8.000 - 17.000 ug/dL
    This is all the info I have of her labs
    I have an appt on Thurs but if it gets worse I will take her in asap.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I see on the last test in July? (has there been any since then?) that her cortisol had started to go up from where it was in June. It also could be that they have gone up more and so some symptoms such as drinking more water are coming back.

Hang in there and do let us know if anything else shows up between now and your appointment.

Sharlene and Molly Muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

No she was scheduled on dec 12 to do more lab, but called and they will do t on the 5th! Will let you know what I find out.

07-09-13 Cortisol Sample 1 4.9 ug/dL 1.000 - 5.000 ug/dL Dublin
    07-09-13 Cortisol Sample 2 6.2 ug/dL Below Normal 8.000 - 17.000 ug/dL
    I just wanted to note that the normal values for a cush pup on Vetoryl should be as follows.

Post-ACTH serum cortisol 1.45-5.4 µg/dL (40-150 nmol/L)

Many vets do not realize that thier is a difference in normal values for a pup NOT on Vetoryl and a pup that is on Vetoryl. So yes her cortisol level is still a bit high (just a bit) and is most probably why her symptoms still persist.
    John (Roxee & Rozee's Dad)

Thanks John...I appreciate the response, and can't wait to get her in. Her vet is out of town until Thursday.