My apologies in advance to all who bother to read this....this is totally off the cuff with no editing, but it's about time I write my tribute to my girl.

Lucy...it all started about 14 years ago now. Remember? I was living on Vermont, and you suddenly appeared hanging out in our garages out back. I found out you followed the woman upstairs home one day, and the neighbors kept trying to convince me to take you. You looked so skinny and pathetic, so I would buy you treats, like pig's ears, which you loved, and other crap like that, but you were always so shy.

Then that 4th of July changed everything. I was on my way to a stupid party or something, and got in my car to leave, and suddenly you appeared, jumping up on my driver's side window with this desperate, panicked look, like "take me with you, goddamit." I brushed you off, was kind of annoyed and was thinking, I'm not gonna let this dog rain on my parade. Then as I got onto Vermont to head north onto Los Feliz, I glanced in my mirror and there you were, chasing after my car like a bat out hell.

It disturbed me so much that I called the LAPD while I was on the freeway and asked if they could "swing by" to make sure you were okay....to which they replied, laughingly, "the only thing we can do is call animal control." So I said forget it. Needless to say it was a miserable night.

However, when I returned there you were, waiting for me as I pulled into my garage, so I let you in for the first time that night. You jumped out of your skin you were so happy. And you did this weird, squinty eyed, grimacing mouth sort of thing, which I later found out from a dog trainer was you smiling

Shortly following that was the "What the hell am I gonna do with this animal" period....where you attacked everything and everyone that got near me, particularly males. That was awesome. It was a slow, socialization progress, but you eventually became semi-normal. Everyone that came in contact with you sensed that you were super intelligent, but I think you took it a bit too far sometimes.

However, for the next 13 years you were the light of my life....you gave me and so many other people so much laughter and joy I can't even begin to describe it here....you know what I'm talking about.

I'm so sorry you had to go through that horrible surgery, but it gave you another couple years, and you had such a will to live, that I had to do it. And I know you were so worried about me, and you came back so strong after that and recovered like a champ...you are and will always be my hero.

I think about you every day girlie, and I still hear you at night in this old house (I know that's you)...and I love you so much. I know that last day when you gave me that look it was time, but you were always so present, so there

I love you so much Goosie Girl.....Mamma....XOXO