Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I may be here often ;}

Default I may be here often ;}

Hello All,

Over the last 2 months my 8 y/o black lab, Maggie, developed increase respirations and some exercise intolerance. That along with a new obscession with food and excessive thirst took me to my local vet. He checked for diabetes and heart worms and attributed it to age and heat (101 here in the south). After a couple of weeks there was no change, she prefered the cold floor to her bed and was just "not herself."

We are lucky enough to have a college of veterinary science 20 miles away so after taking her there she was diagnosed with pancreatitis and based on her symptoms there is a suspicion of Cushing's disease. She has not officially be tested because we are waiting on liver function studies (ast, alk phos) this week but so many of the signs and symptoms are there that I am certain that is out next step.

I am here today just to touch base and say the information that I have seen on this site is phenomenal. My fear is starting treatment and having to be away during the day because of work and then missing a crisis. So if my sweet Maggie is diagnosed with Cushing's I will be back for advice and support.

There was a time when I would say "Maggie, I will be glad when you settle down a bit and chill out"....now that she has, I don't like it!

Thanks for being here and I'll appreciate feedback if our future includes Cushings.

Mic

mytil is offline Administrator and always In Loving Memory

Default Re: I may be here often ;}

Hi and welcome to our site - sure am glad you found us.

Please do keep us updated on your Maggie - and well as any testing.

I think the combined experience of all those here must be well over 100 years.

I moved your post to the discussion section so more will see it.

Terry

Hi Mic and welcome to you and Maggie.

Looking forward to hearing more.
    John (Roxee & Rozee's Dad)

Welcome Mic Belly rubs to Maggie.

I totally understand that fear of what if something comes up while I'm away at work and I miss it. I have the same fear about my molly. Not sure how I'll handle that when the time comes either.

I'm sure those that have been though this will have some ideas and can tell you what they did in that situation.

Glad you found the site and decided to say hello.

Sharlene (and molly muffin)
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Hi John and Sharlene,

Thank you so much for your replies. I will keep you guys informed about Maggie's progress and if, in fact, she is diagnosed with Cushing's. I will weigh all of the options and with the advice of my Vet and you guys I know the right decisions will be made. What has been most helpful to me in this forum is learning the fact that if I make a decision not to treat her at this time that I am not an irresponsible "parent." Afterall, it's the quality of Maggie's life that is most important.

Thanks again to you all and hug your babies extra for me.

Michelle (Mic)
    Last edited by Simplify; 07-17-2012 at 02:40 PM.

Default Cushing's symptoms but diagnosed Addison's

Hello all,

An update on Maggie who we felt may have Cushing's. Just to recap; she's a 8 Y/O black lab with a 1 mo history of increased appetite, excessive thirst, increased respirations & mild fatigue. She tested negative for diabetes, cardiac and pulmonary disease, but did have a subclinical non infectious pancreatitis. Her amylase and lipase were negative for liver disease, her high resolution US revealed adrenal adrenal glands that were equally at the upper portions of normal. So based upon her "classic symptoms" yesterday she underwent acth stimulation testing at MSU Vet College.

To the suprise of Maggie's IM Vet she did not have Cushing's, in fact just the opposite. Her cortisol levels plumeted (results posted later) and the vet said there was no need for a dexa test because Maggie had primary atypical Addison's disease. They are recommending prednisolone 15mg qd for 2 weeks then retesting with the goal of giving the lowest dose pred possible. Ultimately they hope to only give pred it as needed based upon testing every 3-6 months. She does not have the type of Addison's that interferes with her electrolytes.

All of this just adds to my confusion and poses questions for you all. I was certain Maggie had Cushing's disease based upon her symptoms. Have you ever encountered such classic symptoms of Cushing's that turned out to be Addison's instead? From what I have researched it seems that Addison's may be the lesser of two evils but the treatment of one can possibly lead to the other. Is it possible to have low ACTH values and still have Cushing's? If excessive cortisol in Cushing's contributes to the sx of excessive thirst, hunger and panting, (which Maggie is experiencing now) won't administering prednisolone increase those symptoms? My IM Vet told me we would know when she was improving because her hunger, panting and thirst would normalize. Again, adding to my confusion.

I know you are thinking, why in the heck did you not ask the vet these things...well, actually, an emergency interrupted us before we could discuss this in depth so she is calling me tomorrow. However, from what I have read on this site you guys are extremely credible, knowledgable, objective and truely empathetic to our concerns.

I appreciate any input you might have,
    Michelle

Default Addison's not Cushing's (?)

BTW I am not dissapointed that Maggie apparently does not have Cushing's disease but I am dissapointed that I do not see an Addison's.com forum

Mic

Hi Mic.

It would be great if you would please get copies of all testing done so far and post the results here. With respect to blood and urine tests, post only the abnormal values with normal reference ranges. I will be very interested to see the results of the stim test. I am pretty blown away by the diagnosis as Maggie presents as a cushdog symptom-wise and her adrenal glands are the upper end of normal. Dogs with addison's do have overlapping symptoms associated with cushing's but they not only don't have a voracious appetite, they usually have no appetite and experience weight loss. Their adrenal glands are usually smaller on imaging. Dogs with atypical addison's do have waxing and waning symptoms so I suppose that could explain things but I'm still baffled.

Was Maggie on any medication prior to the acth stim test and if so, what? Did your vet mention that dogs with atypical addison's usually develop typical addison's at some point down the road?

Glynda

"May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Hey Squirt's Mom,

Thank you so much for your timely reply and the links regarding Addison's. It is most helpful.

Enjoy your weekend,
    Mic