Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Calcinosis Cutis and Cushings (Peety has passed)

Default Re: Calcinosis Cutis and Cushings

Thanks for all the responses. Today is the third day of DMSO. He is doing very well with it. Tonight he got a bath and brushed and he is all clean and smelling sweet and he knows it. I love seeing him like this. Took last predisone today so we are just waitng to be able to do the Cushing's test. The CC is all over his body, my only hope is that we can still get it under control. Every day is a new day to see improvement. Thanks for all the the support. This is a great community to be part of, if you have to deal with something like this. At least you know you are not alone.

Hello and welcome from me and Simba (10yr old mini doxie, almost 11yr in April) you have found the best site to be on for you and your furbaby...these cushing parents are so smart and very kind, so settle in, we are all here for you!!
    Letti and Angel Simba, Meeko too!

Hi again Peety's fur-mom. Glad the DMSO seems to be helping. I have not started using it yet. My vet told me that I have to definitely use Latex gloves when I put it on my dachshund. I have read lots of stuff about it and I know it is an old medicine, but have been afraid to use it and CoCo only has a couple of the calcium deposits on his tail, but looks like more are forming. I have heard some good reports on the DMSO and hope your furbaby continues to improve. Please continue to let us know how she is doing. The people on this forum are so experienced and can help so much. Hugs, JoAnne

Hi Peety's fur mom: Hope your furbaby is doing better this Monday morning and the DMSO is helping the calcinosis. I know your precious puppy will feel better if you can get a handle on the calcinosis. Let everyone hear how you are doing. Hugs, JoAnne

Hi, how is the cc doing? Is the DMSO helping?

Sharlene and Molly Muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Hi everyone, we are still doing DMSO. I am not sure what I am supposed to be seeing. He is doing ok, I am just not sure if the DMSO is curtailing this outbreak of calcium. He is covered, not one inch of him is not covered. I am treating about 1/4 each day. He has been off predisone since Fri and no one has said what I should see as a result of him coming off of it. Will there be more itching, more outbreaks? I know that I cannot leave the t-shirt off or the cone off, because he will go to town on new areas and then we have a problem. The dermatologist took him off of antibiotics, so I am nervous that he could get an infection. So after walks and meals I put the cone back on. His appitite has improved since off the predisone. He actually perks up when he smells food, his or not. So I am encouraged by that.

My Vet and I have been playing phone tag, he knows I want a natural remedy and he is looking into that for me. He called with what I was hoping was other options, but we haven't talked yet. He had suggested a referral to University of Gainesville as a possible way to get some answers. He said he has had good luck with referrals there. I just found out a nabor took their dog there a couple of years ago and I need to go pick their brain a bit. My dermatologist hasn't followed up and I guess I am not surprised. She has not been forthcoming with information. After all the money I have already spent you would think some of that would have covered general information and answers. I don't know about everyone else, but sometimes I don't know what qustions to ask. I really thought having a professional would give me some assurance. Not so in this case. I need to find another way to get my boy healthy. Still a ways from the Cushing's test. Right now my focus is on this horrific skin disease.

Anyone know of anything, topically other than what has been mentioned. Someone said this would take a long time. And I have dug my heels in for whatever...I just need to know that I am doing whatever I can to make this less irritating for him. So any suggestions, would be appreciated. Thanks for the continued support. you're the best....

Pat Peety's #1fan

Hi JoAnne, How is your lil guy doing? Just wondering if the calcium deposits are stiill slight as you mentioned before. Oh, I do hope the meds have kept it from spreading. Peety is pretty much covered head to tail and I did use the DMSO for a few days only. I was never on board when first told about it. And I did not see any difference. Right now I am just watching for new places that he has found and worsened by his licking and scratching. He only has the cone off and the t-shirt off for a few minutes for walks and eating. But he's quick when he has an itch. So far I am able to keep this under control. My Dermatologist took him off of antibiotics, and that concerned me that he didn't have any protection. So I am vigilent in looking for any places that needs special care. He is still loosing his hair but he has lots, so I am not overly concerned yet.

I did find a Holistic Vet in my area and I am seeing my Vet Monday, hoping to get a referral. Maybe they have something that I can use topically or internally. I want to supplement his daily vitamins with extra Vit E and anything else that may help. Since he has been off predisone, he is like a new dog. He eats better, plays better and his personality is back to being sweet and silly. He doesn't know how bad he is, thank goodness. So for now I am happy that he is resting better and I think he knows his "mom" is looking for answers and he is very tolerant and patient.

Let me know if you have found anything else that improves the situation. Give Coco a hug from Peety and me. Pat, Peety's #1 fan.

Peety is just a gorgeous little guy. I don't know of anything else that he can take that helps the bumps. I wish I did. Everyone tells me that it is a real dickens to get control of when it gets very bad.

I think we all want to know what questions we should be asking our vets.

I guess, some for questions for you would be, what do they feel is the underlying cause of the skin problems? have they taken any scrapings to analyze exactly what it is. For instance, Is this caliconosis cutis or is it a yeast infection or something else? How it is treated would be tailored specifically to what the main problem is. We've had some dogs have yeast, some have the dreaded cc, some have skin infections due to other infections in their body (E-coli for instance) So I think that would be relevant to know.

Based upon that answer, you go from there, with next being treatment options and for any given treatment how long till you should expect to see results. You want to know that you aren't stopping something too soon, or that you aren't continuing something that isn't having any affect.
    Good luck with both your vets this week. I sincerely hope that someone can give you the answer to these questions so you can get this cleared up.

Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Yes, diagnosed with CC about a month ago through biopsy's. Waiting for the Cushing's test. I am encouraged by his disposition since being off of predisone. Seeing him be more like his old self. But I wish there was more I could do for him. Will wait and see what the Vet says and maybe next week we will have a new perspective. Thanks for your input. Will let you know what we find out. hugs
    Pat Peety's #1 fan

Okay, I probably knew that from your first post and had forgotten. Sorry about that. (head slap)
    So, the prednisone could make the cortisol actually higher and high cortisol seems to be a direct link to CC. So, taking him off that might help too.

hugs!