Thread: new to the group

Default new to the group

Hi, My name is Kim and yesterday I found out that my dog, Newman has cushings disease. I was devastated yesterday but the more I learn the better I am feeling. First things first, I will not be treating him via the vet because I can't afford it first of all and second the treatment sounds about as bad as the disease. Secondly, I will be treating him with holistic methods. The first thing that I will change will be his diet. I have to do some more research on that but that will be the first change for him. He is worth all the work. He is my sweet sweet Boston Terrier who I love deeply. He is currently 11 years old so not a young dog but I want to have him as long as I can.

Default Re: new to the group

Hello and welcome to the group. What testing have you had done to confirm the Cushing's? Please get copies and post the abnormal results and the scale given by the lab for normal readings as they are all different. We need to see these to know what is going on. Most of the expense is in the beginning for diagnostics etc. It will get cheaper as you go along. I can tell you my dog probably would not be alive without the aid of these drugs. I know you said you want to great holistically, but know one thing. If holistic treatment worked there would be no use for these drugs or this forum. This is an incurable disease, but manageable on these drugs. High cortisol damages organs if it is not controlled that will happen. Cushing's is very hard to diagnose and there are other conditions with similar symptoms. If your dog had any other issues going on at the time of testing it could skew the results. Blessings
    Patti
    Last edited by Squirt's Mom; 03-30-2014 at 09:34 AM.
    Tipper and Tipper's Mom

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
    Mahatma Ghandi

Hi Kim, welcome to you and Newman!

To treat or not with conventional treatments, proven to work, is of course your choice completely and we will support you no matter what. But I want you to go into this with your eyes open. If you go the Holistic route, please please please work with a Holistic vet and do NOT wing it on your own - you can cause more damage than you can imagine if you don't use professional trained expertise....that includes the diet. Herbs, supplements and diet, called the Neutriceutical approach, can help but unless you keep up the testing to check the cortisol and organ functions you will never know what is happening inside Newman, how the things you try are working. Also, this approach can be more expensive and much more time consuming than the traditional treatments with Lysodren or Trilostane. Just so you know, I am a HUGE proponent of Neutriceuticals as well as a student of canine nutrition and herbalism (tho no where near an expert with MUCH yet to learn! ).

Here is a link to let you know some of the things that can occur when a cush pup goes untreated, again so you go into this with your eyes open -

Complications from untreated Cushing’s –
    http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195

Can you tell us what prompted the vet to look for Cushing's in the first place? What were you seeing that caused you concern? Were there changes in Newman's behaviors like eating, drinking, peeing, sleeping, personality, etc.?

I have been blessed to share a short time with a Boston, Tasha. She was the funniest little thing with the sweetest little square face that could pop a grin from ear to ear in a heartbeat! She's been gone over a year and at times I still hear her breathing or her nails dancing down the hall.

I am glad you found us and look forward to learning more as time passes - AND watching how Newman progresses with his treatment approach. Please keep sharing with us so we can learn from your experiences.

Hugs,
    Leslie and the gang
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

I too just found out that my Katy Girl who is ten has Cushing's. I am also afraid of the treatments. It looks like a lot of dogs on this forum joined about four months before their dogs died and were treated. However, we are going to get a second opinion on treatment from one of our vets. Also we are switching back to soft food with meat supplements. I have read that you never feed a Cushing's dog dried food. Also we are going to try and lesson her stress when we travel, not sure how to do that. Keep posting. Wish you the best.

I have read that you never feed a Cushing's dog dried food.
    I addressed this on Katy's thread but want to make note here as well that this is not correct.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Thanks for the advice on food. I started the search on food trying not to feel guilty about her past feedings. It is hard not to look back and try to blame yourself for your loved dogs bad health. I try to realize that I have been given years of love, companionship, and entertainment instead. She in return, received the same.

Oh goodness. After Squirt was diagnosed, I think I felt guilty for every single thing I had done and had not done to that point. For the longest time I felt I had caused this somehow someway...that I had killed my Sweet Bebe. But you are right, we can only do the best we can with what knowledge we currently have - and our love is the very best medicine always. When we learn more, we can do more...and I have learned a great deal from our family here. I still feel guilty often, but I am the Queen of Guilt and I guard that throne jealously!