Thread: Rudy: New diagnosis, on Trilostane/Vetoryl, lethargic

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Rudy: New diagnosis, on Trilostane/Vetoryl, lethargic

Hi, I am new here, been reading all day and just wanted you to know I feel so much better after reading this. Apollo has almost identical symptoms to what my dog has.

Rudy was diagnosed with Cushings July 22 and started on Vetoryl that day. I saw vast improvement in the water drinking, panting and peeing within a few days. But about a week later, my poor puppy looked half dead. He was lethargic, not eating and his hind legs suddenly seemed to give out on him. He no longer wanted to go for walks more than a few feet.

I called my vet and he was surprised because he said Rudy's cortisol was 'super high' according to the ACTH test we had done. He gave me a script for prednisone in case Rudy got 'shocky'. Rudy weighed about 45 lbs at the time he was diagnosed, so he was prescribed the 60 mg capsules once a day.

I quit giving Vetoryl to him since Monday. He has improved every day since, finally eating a little bit and today he actually made it to the park for a shorter walk, but did not appear to have as much trouble as he had even yesterday.

My vet said to give him the Vetoryl every other day, since it is in capsule form and I can't just half the pill. He also said I could open up the capsules and sprinkle half on his food every day if I wanted to, but I have read not to do that.

My question is: since he is almost back to normal and has been off Vetoryl for 3 days now, when should I start him back on every other day? It is obvious to me that the dosage was too high even though it is correct for his size. We are supposed to have a follow-up ACTH on Aug 21st and I believe I read in here that he needs to be taking his meds for 2 weeks prior to that time in order to get an accurate reading?

I hope there is more good news on Apollo from the Vet today!
    Last edited by MyRudy; 08-05-2010 at 07:16 PM.