Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pain management advice please

Default Pain management advice please

Hi - My little Cody was diagnosed with Cushings over 2 year ago - about 6 months later he went completely blind. He is 10 now and has started having trouble with his back legs just climbing stairs and getting up from a sitting position. I have chosen not to prolong his life, but want to keep him out of pain and as happy as possible as long as possible. My vet doesn't appear to really know much about Cushings. Do any of you have any advice?

Default Re: Pain management advice pleae

Hi - My girl Casey had the same symptoms from arthritis which showed up after treatment for Cushings began because the high cortisol levels in an untreated cushings dog will mask the arthritis symptoms. Not sure if this is what is causing your dog pain - perhaps someone else on this site will have some other ideas.

Casey is on Adequan injections for her arthritis and I also have given Tramadol for pain when necessary but haven't had to use it since beginning Adequan. She is also on L-glutamine and glucosamine chondroitin.

All of the above are safe to give Cushings dogs.
    Ellen, Sweet Angel Casey, Desi and Oreo

Oh thank you for your input - I'll ask the vet today. What Cody has appears to be a Cushings related muscle problem in his back and back legs called myo-something. He's pretty advanced, but still a happy boy! I have him on the glucosamine and chondroitin (spelling?) and have tramadol but would prefer not to use something so intense. My friend told me about EC asperin - do you know anything about that?

Hi,

Just have a second but I wanted to get back to you. My Bailey had horrible arthritis and hip dysplasia. Enteric coated aspirin is not usually recommended bc they can't digest the coating. Buffered aspirin is OK though. The other thing I used was Metacam.

The problem with aspirin and NSAIDs in Cushpups can sometimes be a risk of GI bleeding so some people do not believe in using it. I found, for me, and with my vet's guidance, that as long as the Cushing's was controlled it was OK and I only ever gave it with a full meal so the GI tract was coated from it. Metacam was a lifesaver for us and is a once daily dosing.

Others will be by I am sure with things that they have used too. I do trust my vet and his thoughts were that aspirin was safe and cheaper and OK as long as the conditions above were met (the controlled Cushing's and giving it with food).

You may want to ask your vet as well about using these products.

Sending wishes for comfort, Beth
    Basset hounds are like potato chips, you can't have just one!

Thanks so much for your words and wishes - It is so helpful to have knowledge when talking with my vet! We just went thru a $2000 ligament surgery with my other little girl pup, so the animal budget is terribly depleted right now.

Hi,

Corky also has arthritis. He was taking Metacam before he was diagnosed with cushings. I don't use it anymore. If I see that he is in pain, I give him baby aspirin. I also give him 1/2 a tablet of Pepcid AC when I have to give him the baby aspirin, as this was recommended by his IMS.

Terri
    Last edited by littleone1; 03-17-2010 at 12:16 PM.

Yes, Terri, I forgot that! Pepcid AC is also a wonderful thing. I totally understand about the tight budget so you may want to ask about the aspirin too. Metacam is more expensive. And yes, some people are anti-NSAIDS with Cushing's. Depending on weight will give you the dose and your vet can do that. I know my boyfriend used it for pain in his dog, and it helped very much!
    Sending both your pups well wishes!!! : )
    Beth
    Basset hounds are like potato chips, you can't have just one!

Welcome from me, too, to both you and Cody!

It sounds as if you are not actively treating Cody for his Cushing's disease? Is that correct? If so, I think his hind-leg trouble is more likely the result of muscle-wasting from the Cushing's rather than an arthritic process. Lacking the muscle strength in the hind legs to climb stairs or to jump up is a common symptom of the disease. If that is the case, then pain-killers will not help solve the problem...

Can you tell us more about Cody's Cushing's diagnosis? Does he have other Cushing's symptoms, and has he been officially tested by your vet?

Thanks in advance for any additional information that you can give us.

Marianne
    Last edited by labblab; 03-17-2010 at 12:23 PM. Reason: To add something.

He was diagnosed 2-1/2 years ago by the process of elimination - we had hoped it was a thyroid problem I think, but that test proved negative. He had 8 of the 10 basic symptoms. He started losing his sight right after diagnosis, which is also a side effect of Cushings I found out, so when he went completely blind I made the decision not to prolong his life, but just let him live it out healthy and happy. I took him to a holistic vet and was prescribed herbs and a special barley, beef, vegetable diet - he just thrived, but now 2 years later, I'm afraid the disease is winning. Yes, I believe this is the muscle wasting from Cushings - I just want to make sure he is not in any pain from here on out. All your thoughts are so comforting.

Teri - what is the weight of your dog? Cody is about 35 pounds. Baby asperin and pepsid AC would work for us if it's not harmful to him.