Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Otter our 9 year old Golden

Default Otter our 9 year old Golden

Hi everyone, My 9 year old Golden, Otter, was diagnosed over the weekend with Cushings. My wife and I had a hard time understanding the diagnosis beacause Otter shows no symptoms of the disease.
    This all started a week ago in a routine checkup which indicated high levels in Otters liver. The vet indicated it may be Cushings and wanted to do a LDDS test to confirm. It was confirmed that Otter has a benign tumor in his Pituitary gland. The vet recommended we start Otter on Trilostane. After searching the web and discussing with my wife we made the choice in treating Otter as recommended by our vet.
    It was a very difficult choice for us to make. After reading the possible side effects that could happen to an other wise healthy member of our family. I just hope that we've made the right choice.

Default Re: Otter our 9 year old Golden

Dave:

Welcome to the forum. You've found a great place to help you through this. The people on this forum are extremely knowledgeable and sympathetic. We've all gone through what your going through.

Other's will be along shortly who will help you through a lot of the technical details of this disease. Cushings is an extremely slow progressing disease and it isn't necessary to rush into any kind of treatment, specially since you say Otter doesn't show any of the customary symptoms. Trilostane in particular, inhibits the symptoms of Cushings and since Otter isn't showing any, I wouldn't rush into anything. As I said, others will be along shortly to help you sort all this out. How was the tumor on the pituitary gland found; through an ultra-sound? Can you post the actual numbers for any test results.

Please don't rush into giving medication until you've heard from others. Trilostane is a great drug if Cushings is properly diagnosed. My baby Kira has been on it for over a year and is doing very well, though we had a rough start originally. Dosing can sometimes be an issue in the beginning. Hang in there.

Heidi

Hi Dave,
    Welcome to you and Otter. We have many members here with many success stories using either the Trilostane or Lysodren.

Please tell us more about Otter. What symptoms led you or your vet to test for cushing's.

What test were performed and could you post the test and results, including the normal ranges?

I am also curious has to how the Pituitary tumor was confirmed. Was there an MRI to confirm the tumor? or just the LDDS?

The others as I affectionately call them have many years of successful experience and will be along to play 20 questions The more we know about Otter, the better we can help you sort thru this. If you have Otter's bloodwork, LDDS and ACTH test results, please post them. If not, please ask your vet or receptionist to provide you copies. They should be happy to do so.

Hang in there, the others will be along to help you sort thru this.

In the meantime, there is a great resources section here with loads of great information.

http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10
    John (Roxee & Rozee's Dad)

We brought Otter for his routine exam. Which consists of a blood sample along with Urine and fecal sample. The test came back with high level of liver enzymes. I'm not sure what other test pointed the vet to the Cushing's conclusion. The vet suggested on a whole day of blood work, so my wife brought him in early in the am. Three blood samples were taken at 8,12 and 4.
    I don't have the actual numbers from his tests but will get them and post on the forum.
    Otter is a healthy dog. He's a big teddy bear, 188 lbs. but not overweight. He has been treated for lyme and has had treatment for ear fungus. Other than that he still plays and is active for his age. I've had many dogs but none more active than Otter at this age.

Hi Dave,

Welcome to you and Otter from me and my boy Harley. I am so glad you found this forum, altho I am so sorry for the circumstances that brought you here. You have found an amazing group of people who are very knowledgeable about this Cushing disease.

Cortisol is a stress hormone, one of the "fight or flight" hormones, so severe stress and non-adrenal illnesses will cause false positives results on Cushings tests.

Strong symptoms are a huge part of making the diagnosis, and a Cushing's savy vet will not initiate any treatment without strong symptoms and a proper diagnosis. Not one test can confirm Cushings or the type of Cushings, thats why you need a qualified GP or IMS for this disease.

Now about Otter's liver enzyme's: Among the liver's many responsibilities are blood detoxification, waste removal and bile production to aid digestion. This large gland is involved in just about every process in the body.Unlike other organs in the body, it can regenerate itself. Since Otter does have Lyme disease this will make his liver enzyme levels higher, even the treatment of the ear fungus will cause a rise in the liver enzyme numbers.

It would really help us to see the results of all tests that were done on Otter...the CBC/Chemistry panel with the results and the reference ranges and the units of measurements, just the ones that are abnormal (high or low). All Cushings tests that were done with the results, and the urinalysis results ~ was the urinalysis test done in-house or sent out to a lab? Is Otter on any herbs or supplements?

Remember you are not alone on this journey anymore, we are here for you and Otter. We will help you and Otter in anyway we can, so ask all the questions you want and we will try to answer them as best we can, ok.

Love and hugs,
    Lori

I just got Otters numbers faxed to me. Here's everything;

ACTH stim test;

Cortisol pre 8.4
    Cortisal 2 1.1
    Cortisal 3 2

Senior Screen;
    Total protein 7.2
    Albumin 3.7
    Globulin 3.5
    Albumin/Globulin ratio 1.1
    ast(sgot) 39
    alt (sgpt) 301
    alkaline phosphatase 2782
    ggtp 41
    total bilirubin 0.2
    urea nitrogen 20
    creatinine 1.2
    bun/creatinine ratio 17
    phosphorus 3.5
    glucose 98
    calcium 10.7
    magnesium 1.7
    sodium 148
    potassium 4.6
    na/k 32
    chloride 107
    cholesterol 501
    triglcerides 134
    amylase 1449
    lipase 629
    cpk 88
    hemoglobin 15.2
    hematocrit 46.1
    wbc 5.1
    rbc 6.55
    mcv 70
    mch 23.2
    mchc 33
    platelet 264
    platlet est. adequate
    neutrophlis 59
    bands 0
    lymphocytes 30
    monocytes 10
    eosinophils 1
    basophils 0
    absolute neutrophils 3009
    absolute bands 0
    absolute lymphocytes 1530
    absolute monocytes 510
    absolute eosinophils 51
    absolute basophils 0
    t4 1.4

Hi Dave,

Corky and I would also like to say hi and welcome you and Otter.

You have found such a wonderful group of caring, supportive and knowledgeable people. I know I would be lost without them. They've had to hold my hand several times.

I hope all goes well for Otter.

Terri

Here are Otters test results;

ACTH STIM TEST;
    CORTISOL PRE- 8.4
    CORTISOL 2- 1.1
    CORTISOL 3- 2

Urinalysis;
    ph 6.5
    Specific gravity 1.026

Superchem,Complete Blood Count,T4;
    Total protein 7.2
    Albumin 3.7
    Globulin 3.5
    Alb/Glob ratio 1.1
    AST (SGOT) 39
    ALT (SGPT) 301
    Alkaline Phosphatase 2782
    GGTP 41
    Total Bilirubin 0.2
    Urea Nitrogen 20
    Creatinine 1.2
    BUN/Creatinine ratio 17
    Phosphorus 3.5
    Glucose 98
    Calcium 10.7
    Magnesium 1.7
    Sodium 148
    Potassium 4.6
    Na/K ratio 32
    Chloride 107
    Cholesterol 501
    Triglycerides 134
    Amylase 1449
    Lipase 629
    CPK 88
    Hemoglobin 15.2
    Hematocrit 46.1
    WBC 5.1
    RBC 6.55
    MCV 70
    MCH 23.2
    MCHC 33
    Platelet count 264
    Neutrophils 59
    Bands 0
    Lymphocytes 30
    Monocytes 10
    Eosinophils 1
    Basophils 0
    Absolute Neutrophils 3009
    Absolute Bands 0
    Absolute Lymphocytes 1530
    Absolute Monocytes 510
    Absolute Eosinophils 51
    Absolute Basophils 0
    T4 1.4

Hi Dave,

ACTH STIM TEST;
    CORTISOL PRE- 8.4
    CORTISOL 2- 1.1
    CORTISOL 3- 2
    These ACTH test results do not seem to indicate typical cushing's. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be chiming in on these results.

Could you go back and edit your bloodtest results and insert the normal ranges? Just on the results that are listed as abnormal high or low.

ETA:
    Actually these ACTH numbers scare me a bit. The ACTH test results are actually on the low side. Was Otter on Trilo before the ACTH test? What were the results of the LDDS?
    Last edited by Roxee's Dad; 02-01-2010 at 01:57 PM.
    John (Roxee & Rozee's Dad)