Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: vetoryl tablets

Default Re: Hair Loss and What causes?

Sally had Breast cancer and was mamory stripped last Nov. Her hair never grew back. When I took her for her boosters in March she was still hairless and pot bellyed. (bare in mind she has had 3 ops)
    Locum vet took bloods which varified Cushings. She was on 120mg of Vetroyl which have been reduced now to 90mg after recent blood tests. She is also on Serequin for her joints which is helping immensley.

She is very sluggish on walks and pants excessive in the car. I don't understand why she excessive pants on the car though!

Default Re: Hair Loss and What causes?

How much does Sally weigh? Do you know the results of her last ACTH test? Could you post them? If your vet reduced her Trilostane dosage, her numbers probably were low. It takes some fooling around to get them on the right dose. The hair can take awhile to regrow. Cush pups can overheat easily. Maybe she is getting too hot in the car. My Zoe will pant in the car if it is warmish outside, she overheats in the car easily. Otherwise, panting was not one of the Cush symptoms she had.

Could you tell us the tests you had done to diagnosis Sally? Do you have copies of the results? If we know these things we can sometimes help you more as we have a clearer understanding of your pup's health.

Hugs,
    Addy

Default Re: vetoryl tablets

MODERATOR NOTE - I have merged your newest post about hair loss causes with Sally's original thread. We like to keep all info about each pup in one thread. That way it is easier to keep up with the history and look back if needed. If you would like to change the title of Sally's thread so it is more easily recognizable for you, just let one of the mods or admins know and we will gladly take care of that for you.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

I don't get given Sallys test results. I live in the Uk. Yes her levels were low hence the drop in strengh of tablets.

Sally weighs 19kg

Hi,

Okay I understand and read through your previous posts.

Do you know when Sally will have another test done to check her cortisol levels?

Sometimes, a dog's hair will get worse before it gets better. Zoe's did.

Sometimes they can still be hypothyroid which does not resolve when we treat their Cushings and need to be treated for that as well. Was Sally ever tested for that?

Hugs,
    Addy

Dr. Tim Allen, a vet tech from Dechra's Kansas office, verbally recommends a starting dose of Vetoryl at 1mg per pound. UC Davis protocol suggest an even lower starting dose of 1mg per kg. With starting Sally at 120mg and now at 90mg this dosage just seems too high to me. With Sally weighing 14kg (41.8lbs) according to Dr. Allen the starting dose should have been 42mg and UC Davis would have had started her even lower at 14mg.

How is Sally eating and drinking, is she lethargic, any vomiting or diarrhea? Any one of these symptoms could mean that her cortisol is too low and this would need to be addressed.

I am very concerned about your sweet girl, so please keep us posted.

Love and hugs,
    Lori

Sally weighs 19K she used to be over 20K when she was 1st diagnosed. (she has lost a bit o weight )

She is next due in for bloods in November. No diarrhea, or vomiting he stools are A ok. Just this hairloss has suddenly appeared

Me again,

I am a bit worried too about her cortisol which is why I asked when Sally is due for her next stim. We have another pup, Penny, who started on a huge dose and is now down to 10mgs once per day. I don't want to worry you, just concerned that sometimes when these pups start out on a big dose they can get sensitive to the drug. Penny grew hair on her too high dose and then blew her coat when her dose was lowered.

You might want to read about Penny

http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2984

Hang in there,
    Addy

Arrow Re: vetoryl tablets

Hi I am Pennys mom - the one Addy mentioned - Penny has Cushings and we found out when she was 8 and started treatment at 11 - She will be 12 in November she is on Vetroyl and she is 82 lbs - she started out on 60 mg and her counts went up so my vet (not knowing anything about the drug) pushed the dose to 120 mg - well with that Pennys numbers dropped so low she went into Addisions Crisis - now DON'T get alarmed I just want you to know my story - not thats its going to happen to Sally but you need to be aware - What did I do? Came on this forum and talked to people like Addy and ALL the other knowledgeable fantastic people on here at 1100pm and they told me what to do because Penny was very sick - they stayed by my side and they are the reason Penny is here today!! So this is to tell you to watch your dog carefully - sounds like you are Prior to the meds Penny had the rat tail - lost her coat - drank tons of water - had to go to the bathroom more - increased appetite - pot belly - and constant panting - then we gave her the meds and her coat came back - drinking went to normal - eating normal - panting got better - still has her pot belly - now Penny is only on 10 mg and blew her coat again like Addy said - the higher dose kept her coat but way to much meds for her - just watch the dog closely - If its too much med you will see the dog lose interest in eating - drinking - wanting to do anything she normally does - lethargic - thats how Penny got - just layed down and didnt want to be bothered - do you have predisone for emergencies like this? I had to give Penny predisone the night she was very sick and stop the vetroyl and continue the predisone for a week or so then back on the Vetroyl -- Again dont get alarmed but you need to know what could and could not happen - the other Cush Angels on this forum know alot more about the disease that I do and will always be here for you (I do know alot now by posting with them and going through what I experienced with Penny -- I wanted to share my story because I used high does of the Vetroyl that was way to much for Penny - like I said every dog is different - Also I spoke to Dr Allen the vet for Dechra and he was so helpful when it came to the correct dose - a phone call to him may be a good idea. His email address is tim.allen@dechra.com -- I cannot find his toll free number at the moment - another member may beable to give it to you -- if not I will search for it -- He answers immediately - he helped with the correct dose - Hang in there - you are doing a great job with Sally - any questions I am here!
    Last edited by Cyn719; 09-26-2011 at 12:37 PM.
    xoxo Cindy & Penny