Thread: Frida, Blue Heeler Mix, Just diagnosed with Cushings

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Frida, Blue Heeler Mix, Just diagnosed with Cushings

Frida is a shelter rescue that I have had for 6.5 years, age unknown. Her vet thinks she is 9 or 10. A couple of months ago, I noticed she was starting to drink and urinate a lot more than normal. Took her to the vet for some rounds of tests and recently got a diagnosis. I don't know exactly which tests were run or what the numbers were on those tests, but Frida starts on Vetoryl on Sunday (in 2 days). I do recall that her urine was very diluted, and that the first bloodwork done showed low thyroid and some liver trouble, but I don't know what or how much.

Frida's belly is distended and I have noticed it becoming more so over the last month. She has also slowed down some and has a little difficulty jumping. I have also noticed some darkening of pigmented areas on her skin. She has always had a huge appetite and is overweight although I have tried to control what she eats. Now, it seems that her appetite is getting stronger and she has become completely obsessed with food. I have not noticed any hair loss or problems with her skin.

The past few weeks have been stressful. She gets up and drinks repeatedly throughout the night and I have to make sure she goes outside to pee every 2 hours because she has now had a few accidents in the house.

I only work part time and my financial resources are few, so one of the hardest things is worrying that I will not be able to provide her with the care she needs. I have gotten some assistance from a program at our local animal shelter, and have set up a donation page on facebook. The vet is letting me have the Vetoryl at cost and even let me take it home before completely paying for it. There are things to be grateful for.

I look forward to the time when the medication kicks in and Frida hopefully gets back to normal. I miss hiking with her in the woods.

Default Re: Frida, Blue Heeler Mix, Just diagnosed with Cushings

I am just jumping in quickly to welcome you and Frida. You definetly found a wonderful and very knowledgeable group of individuals who can jump in at any time to answer any questions that you are going to have.
    Good luck on starting the medication and we look forward to hearing more about Frida.
    Belinda Creel,
    Mom of Angel Bo, My Little Latte and now our newest Toby.

Hi and welcome to you and Frida,

So sorry for the reasons that brought you here but glad you found us as we will help in any way we can. Bless you for giving Frida a forever home, you are a wonderful person!

It would help us a great deal if you could round up copies of all tests that were done on Frida and post any abnormalities listed along with the reference ranges and units of measurement. Cushing's is one of the most difficult diseases to get a confirmed diagnosis for since other non-adrenal illnesses share some of the same symptoms of Cushing's and not one test is 100% accurate at diagnosing Cushing's.

Diabetes and thyroid problems are two health issues that have some of the same symptoms as Cushing's, have these been ruled out?

Many members use a reputable compounding pharmacy to have their Cushing meds compounded which can save a lot of money. I am sure these members will be along to share which compounding pharmacy they use.

Please remember we are here for you and Frida so do not hesitate to ask any and all questions.

Love and hugs,
    Lori

Thanks! Diabetes has been ruled out, not sure about thyroid. The test the vet used to diagnose Cushings took 8 hours, and involved taking blood 3 or 4 times. I will see about getting printouts of test results from the vet. We did discuss compounding, but my vet didn't know much about it and neither do I.
    Oh, yes, it's pitutary Cushings according to the vet.
    Last edited by morpha; 06-29-2012 at 11:51 PM.

mytil is offline Administrator and always In Loving Memory

Hi and welcome from me too.

Your vet sounds like a keeper in helping you and Frida out.

Just wanted to pass on several links here. http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212 (Financial resources that could help out)

http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185 (Vetoryl info)

Looking forward to those test results too.
    Terry

PS - I have a blue heeler mix too (from the shelter) - would love to see some photos of Frida Here she is..http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/albu...pictureid=3446

The vet just called and due to my work schedule this week, we decided to postpone starting Frida on the Vetoryl until July 8. Also, she is going to have some Prednisone and copies of Frida's test results for me to pick up at her office next week so I will be posting that information in a few days.

Frida weighs 54lb. The Vetoryl is 120mg and the loading starting dosage will be 1/4 pill twice a day. I have experience splitting pills and capsules for myself, so am not worried about doing that.

I tried to load a couple of recent pictures of Frida in an album here but couldn't get it to work.

Thanks for your responses and kind wishes. Frida says "Woof"!