Page 9 of 562 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109509 ... LastLast

Thread: Zoe By My Side- Our Journey with Cushings

Default Re: My Zoe, Lhasa Apso, diagnosed with Cushing's

Thanks for asking. Today was a hot one here on the West Coast, over 80 degrees. Apollo has been wiped from the heat. Don't know if it is the heat or the cushing, seems more tired then before. Crazy day at work, even though we want out we still have to keep things going until we look into all our options. Not a good time to be in know.

I'm a little inland on the west coast and it was a scorcher today...triple digits at my house with no end in sight for a while. It's not fit for man nor beast out there, which is why all of my beasts are lazing around indoors with a/c.

Quote Originally Posted by addy View Post
    I am trying to figure out these lignans for Zoe. If I undestand it (and I probably don't) if the flax is a 40 mg capsule with 20% lignans and Zoe needs 1 mg per pound that would be 18 mg's of lignans so I would need 2 capsules I guess which is 16 not 18 but I hope that is close enough.

Do I have it right?
    Yes that is correct Each 40 mg capsule contains 8 mg lignans.
    Good job Addy!

Love and hugs,
    Lori

Yes! i have the lignans figured out!!

Next question: I have not given Zoe her Heartguard yet and the mosquitos are getting really bad here. Her hair is so thin and her tummy is shaved from the ultra sound.

What is everyone currently doing about heartworm medicine? Since Zoe's Cushings is not yet controlled, I did not know if you could have it but yet getting heartworms can't be good either.

Should I call the IMS and ask her? A little worried about the answer as she seemed not happy I held off on the rabies shot. I mean she did not say it out right but she had "the Look"

Addy

Dear Andy
    after reading your post. I would check with the vet about the heart worm.. This year is a lot more humid and there are more mosquitoes. Especially with their weakened immune system, the little guys need more support. We are of the same generation: mini skirts, hip hugger, bell bottoms, platform shoes, pixie cuts, the Toni perm(God did I hate when my mother gave me one, I have wavy hair , I looked like a poodle with blonde hair) ,the Beatles, the Beach Boys, Peyton Place, etc.- If this generation only knew how much they are getting from our generation(HA!HA!)

Deep down inside, I feel all the vaccines, heart worm and flea medications did not do the little guy well. When he started having black heads and hair loss on the bottom back part of his neck, I thought maybe the flea medication was causing it. Every time I applied the medication, first thing he would do , go outside and try and rub it off. God knows what it was doing to his skin. Not realizing it may have already been the start of cushings. I use Sentry Natural Defense Natural Flea and Tick Squeeze-On . All I know is every time Apollo got the multi vaccines(pharmaceutical companies lump more then one vaccine into one for profit margins) he would be lethargic, throw up . In my own case , I should be on 4 medications if I listen to doctors. 15 years later I never took one and I am still here. It blows my mind why so many of our little guys have cushings disease? I do feel a lot is environmental-foods, medications. Most vets are medication happy. Only in the past few years has there been controversy on all the vaccines( half of which are so unnecessary) I mean really, where was I going to go to contract half of the stuff , Apollo was being vaccinated for. I even had a vet I dropped, say , the medications were okay because , he probably would die of cancer!!! Just think 50 or more years ago , dogs on farms ate what ever their owners ate, and they didn't get vaccinations. If you knew what was in half the pet food, you'd probably be sick to your stomach. I had Apollo on Solid Gold Hundenflax-made in San Diego, Halo and Natural Choice-had to stop all that. I am really being careful in reading labels now. No by products, etc.
    Love Sonja and Apollo

I know what you mean. I have always been worried of too many vacinations, and the flea treatments and heartworm. You try to do what the vet says is right and then you end up with Cushings. After the recall in 2007 I became a food freak and read every label. Sometimes I get discouraged, I have friends and neighbors that go to the grocery store, buy whatever food, don't read the label, don't really do much of anything and their dogs are bright eyed and healthy. Here I am freaking out about food and medicines and supplements and Zoe has Cushings and I think Koko may have a partially collapsed trachia. Makes a girl wonder

I will call IMS later today and get her opinon on the heartworm. The news said with all the rain and heat, the mosquitos will be the worst we've seen in ten years! I worry about giving it to her but I am even more worried about getting heartworm. It is a hard decision.

I thought I had covered all my bases because I had a regular vet and a holistic vet but now I have those 2 vets and the IMS and I still am not happy. I must be difficult
    Either that or I dream of the perfect vet and that does not exist.

Zoe seems zonked out from one mg of melatonin at night. Or maybe she is just bored, being inside so much with the heat all last week. We did not have many car rides. I don't know what is up but she is not right. A mom always knows.

Addy

Hi There Addy,

Maddie has always been on Sentinel since she was a puppy and it works so well I stopped giving the Advantage after the first spring/summer. I asked the vet if there was any connection with the heartworm medicine and cushings--she said no. I am still giving her the monthly dose and no problems. We live near a wetlands area which Maddie has and is always out there--no fleas--nothing.

I hope this helps!!!
    Marie, My Angel Girl Maddie, and Now Miss Ella

Hi Addy,

I am glad you are asking your IMS about Zoe's heartworm medication, because I think it is always good to check with your vet about questions like this. Your vet is the person who is most familiar with Zoe's specific situation. But I am not aware of any member here whose vet has counseled AGAINST giving heartworm meds, regardless of their dog's Cushing's status.

My personal thought is that the known risks of heartworm are so great that I would not want to expose my dog by withholding the medication. Without protection, I would be a nervous wreck every time I saw a mosquito landing.... And I am not aware of any negative interactions between heartworm meds and either Lysodren or trilostane.

Marianne

Thank you all for the input. It is good to know. I do know my holistic vet was not keen on the heartworm meds.

I think I am too worried not to give it and just wanted to make sure it can't hurt Zoe in anyway not having her Cushings controlled yet or because I want to load her next month.

It is good to hear others are using heartworm products. I am hoping she can advise which one she usually gives. Zoe has had Heartguard Plus in the past. Last year there was one month we thought she may have had a diahrrea reaction to it but we can't be sure.

Thank you again for your input, it always helps me

Addy

Dear Andy,
    quick , Hi will post a little latter.
    Hang in there.