Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: vetoryl tablets

Default Re: vetoryl tablets

Sally is doing very well on Vetyrol. I live in the Uk so we don't get a print out of bloods.
    All I know her last bloods done this week was bordering on the low side. The vet said just above the 50 mark what ever that is.
    I am going to start her on Seraquin supplement to help her joints.
    Sally now weighs 19.5kg she has last loads due to unable to exercise in January to Breast cancer operation.
    She has been through the mill and back my poor baby.

Talking Re: vetoryl tablets

Hi and welcome to you and Sally -

Her weight converts to about 44 lbs, in US speak. And if she really was at 50 mark (which means just under 2 ug/dl), then she is borderline. But 120 mg for her weight was kinda high as a starting dose. A slight break from the vetoryl might be a good idea at this point - maybe a few days to a week before restarting at a much lower dose. For her size, something like 30 mg would make more sense (and certainly no more than 60mg) as many dogs continue to have their cortisol drop in the first 30 - 60 days, even longer. Then after doing another ACTH to see how that's working, you can always adjust the dose up if necessary. You just don't want her to slip any lower and end up in an addisonian crisis (from too low cortisol). When my cushings dog first started vetoryl, the recommended dosing ranges wwere much higher than what vets are recommending today. And Zoe did have trouble - started at 180 mg and after two bad starts and several dose reductions, she was finally able to tolerate only 40 mg. Over the coming months, after her body adjusted to the med, we did have to push her dose back up. But as we've learned here, thru many dogs' experiences, the safest and best approach is to start LOW and then work them up slowly to higher doses, if needed.

I'm also concerned about your vet's testing schedule. They should have the first ACTH after going on the drug within the 10-14 day range. And then the second should be done 30 days after that. It's important to closely monitor them in the beginning of tx, to avoid any problems of too low cortisol. After the second test at 30 days, then you can usually go to testing every 3 months. If I've misunderstood the timing, sorry. But just want to make sure you understand the proper testing protocol so that Sally doesn't run into any more serious problems. So any time there's a dose change - like now - it's like starting over. In other words, you need to retest at the 10-14 day mark and then at 30 days and then back to every 3 mos, assuming the numbers are ok.. What dose is your vet recommending for Sally now? Sue
    Last edited by zoesmom; 08-12-2011 at 12:59 PM.

Sally was tested 1st off for Cushings, Then had another test 1 month later to see if she was stable on the drug, then was testing every three months. So it was her 1st 3 month test if you get my drift.
    Sorry if I confused you.

I was told by my vet that the cheapest place to buy Trilostane is Roadrunner Pharmacy in Arizona. The number is 877-518-4589.
    I think Trilostane hastened the growth of my dogs tumor on her pituitary and turned her micro into a macro adenoma.......but i guess this doesn’t happen to everyone. http://www.roadrunnerpharmacy.com/
    I gave Maisie a supplement called Relora and I feel like this helped her symptoms tremendously. You get it at health food stores. But I guess check with your doctor first. I kind of wish I only gave Maisie the Relora and other natural remedies to keep her comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by madcow View Post
    Sally was tested 1st off for Cushings, Then had another test 1 month later to see if she was stable on the drug, then was testing every three months. So it was her 1st 3 month test if you get my drift.
    Sorry if I confused you.
    So that's what worries me. She wasn't tested at two weeks into tx. So I would highly recommend that now, with this dose change, that she be retested with an ACTH, no later than two weeks from now. You didn't mention what her new dose is? If it's 60 mg or higher, I would retest at 10 days in - presuming she has no bad reaction or indication of low cortisol before that time.

Just watch her very closely for any sign of her cortisol dropping too low - that woud be loss of appetite, loose stools, lethargy and can progress to extreme weakness, vomiting, diarrhea. A dog who is going addisonian with not enough cortisol in its system may still drink excessively so it's these other signs you need to watch for. I don't suppose your vet gave you any prednisone to keep at home. It's a steroid which mimics the dog's natural cortisol and in the event of any signs of low cortisol, it can be given and the dog should start to feel better within a couple of hours and until you can get them to the vet. Sue

PS - I've never heard of Relora, but natural remedies are not going to do the trick with cushings. If it's a supplement, then it might lend some support to a cush dog's system in some way, but the natural remedies do not lower the excess cortisol that is the cause of cushings and its long-term damage to the body. Vetoryl is one of the two drugs that will effectively lower the cortisol - and is still the only drug available to those in the UK - see Marianne's explanation near the top of thread - on why we can get compounded trilostane (same as vetoryl) here in the States.
    Last edited by zoesmom; 08-12-2011 at 02:15 PM.

Hi,
    To answer your question about the cost of Vetoryl, they are available to buy online in the UK with a prescription from your vet. A month's supply of 120mg would be approx £60 but as you have insurance it doesn't really matter.

I know UK vets don't usually give out test results but it is possible if you have a good relationship with them.

I too thought that 120mg was a high dose for her weight and if the last results were low it is unusual for them to keep her on the same dose just to finish the packet as she could go even lower.

Linda

Good catch, Linda. I saw that but forgot it - the comment about finishing out Sally's current pack of vetoryl. That makes me even more concerned. She should not continue to take 120 mg. - for even another day. If that means she'll miss a few days until you can get your hands on some lower dose capsules, then so be it. That would be a good idea at this point anyway - a few days break from the meds. But please do not give her any more of those 120's. PLEASE! I know your only option for vetoryl is 30 or 60 mg, but you can adjust their doses up or down using the above plus 10 mg caps - which I think are available to those in the UK???? Somebody will know - maybe Linda? Sue
    Last edited by zoesmom; 08-12-2011 at 02:31 PM.

Yes, 10mg capsules are available in the UK as well as the 30 and 60mg so the dose could be adjusted to make any amount which can prove expensive but as you are insured it would be ok. Linda

Default Hair Loss and What causes?

Hi
    My Sally was diagnosed with Cushings in March this year. I have noticed over the last two months under her tail as gone pure white and on top of her tail she is loosing her hair (or rather gone very thin)

Also what causes the pot belly effect with Cushing's

Default Re: Hair Loss and What causes?

Hi and Welcome,

I am glad you found us and we will share what we can and help in whatever way you need.

Cushings can cause hair loss and thinning skin, pups may develop what is called a "rat's tail". It is my understanding the pot belly is from loss of muscle and redistribution of fat.

Hypothyroidism can cause some of the same symptoms in a dog so you need to make sure you are dealing with Cushings.

My pup, Zoe, is just starting to regrow hair on her tail. She lost all of her undercoat and it is now starting to regrow with treatment. I waited a year to treat her until her symptoms were stronger as hers were mostly skin/coat issues, then we progressed to hind legs weakness, then having accidents in the house and needing to go out more. I waited a year to start treating her.

What tests were done to diagnose your pup?

Hugs,
    Addy