Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Rudy: New diagnosis, on Trilostane/Vetoryl, lethargic

Default Re: Rudy: New diagnosis, on Trilostane/Vetoryl, lethargic

Sonja - It has only been a few days now that Rudy has turned his nose up at dog food. He will still eat cheese and chicken and ham thankfully, because that is what I hide his pills in! I am going to watch him the rest of the week and see if his appetite comes back and if not, I suppose we will go back to the vet.

Reading about Debbie's little guy and the tumor in the mouth has me really worried.

Rudy turned 12 in March, so I know he has had a good long life no matter what happens.

Donna
    Last edited by MyRudy; 10-12-2010 at 02:05 PM.

Donna, I had the same thoughts and fears that you did with my girl Haley. She lost her hearing (most of it) very suddenly. And then her eyesight slowly went. But you know what? My little bundle of joy still managed to run around the house like normal with a smile on her face and she never met a meal she didn't like. So keep the faith and don't count Rudy out yet. Hang in there. xoxo Kim

Rimadyl is a NSAID and one that we usually really try not giving to our cush-pups.

Signs of Rimadyl intolerance may include appetite loss
    http://www.rimadyl.com/display.aspx?...ies=CN&sec=000

Has your vet been monitoring Rudy's liver values while on Rimadyl?

Blood work however should be done prior to beginning treatment and one or two weeks into treatment to monitor liver values.
    http://www.vetinfo.com/drimdyl.html

Big hugs to you and Rudy.

Love and hugs,
    Lori

Hi Donna,

Has Rudy had an ACTH since Aug.? Trilo often needs tweaking before the optimal dose is reached so it's possible Rudy may need an adjustment and that is why you are seeing these signs in him such as a loss of appetite.

Another thought...as dogs age they start to lose their sense of taste and smell so may lose interest in feed they have always liked. So you might try to "spice" up the smell and taste of Rudy's meals with something like green tripe. Dogs usually love it and it is good for them! Fair warning...it stinks to most of us lowly humans!

As Addy said, we tend to react much more negatively and helplessly to a loss of one of our senses like hearing or sight. However, when this happens, other senses step up and become more sensitive. This is especially true in animals, who already have heightened senses compared to us. I have been owned by deaf and blind animals, both cats and dogs, including a Great Dane who was both. Not a one of them approached, or is approaching , their life with fear, frustration, anger, depression, or confusion. Nor did/do any of them act as if their lives had/have no value. Rather they all enjoyed, and are enjoying, their lives to the fullest - loving, playing, and living happily. I have a friend who has a horse who went blind due to an infection but he tears around his pasture at full gallop, never hitting a fence or tree! When Trinket's new vet saw her for the first time Mon., he thought she could see even tho her eyeballs have been recently removed - she was handling herself so well in the waiting room roaming around he forgot I had told him that. So while Rudy's deafness is understandably upsetting to you, it doesn't bother him nearly as much. Most dogs adjust quickly.

Keep your chin up, honey. Have a vet check Rudy out to be sure there is nothing going on, try to entice him to eat with some new stinky things, and remember he is letting you carry the grief over his hearing loss. We are here anytime you need to talk; sometimes just talking about our fears helps a great deal and trust me we all understand yours.

Hugs,
    Leslie and the girls - always
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Dear Donna
    Just watch your precious Rudy, loss of appetite is something you need to tell the vet. Apollo just turned 12 , Oct 11th. Like you I am trying to be in the now , which is so hard with this disease. It seems like just when you think everything is under control, something new pops up. But on the positive, Apollo is still happy and tries to walk.
    Praying for you and your beautiful Rudy.
    Hugs Sonja and Apollo.

Dear Donna & everyone:
    I just stumbled upon this website and my dog Sadie girl is approx 15 yrs old and so far is a survivor of bladder cancer (via piroxicam) and now she has cushings disease. She has been on vetoryl for 1-2 months and so far we are deciding to STOP giving it to her now because her back legs are trembling and she can no longer seem to walk (due to lethargy). This is very scary to see. She will be having her hair trimmed tomorrow so that it is extremely short as to not trigger frequent panting and we'll see what happens over the next 2-4 days to see if she gains her leg strength back again. We are deciding to just deal with her excess thirst, hunger, panting (fortunately, cushings has not induced hair loss) so that we AVOID the side effects of these lethal meds. We may change our mind. I'll send an update in a few days to keep you all informed, but we just can't see other problems happen to her due to these pills! Best of luck everyone and talk to you soon...

Monica (Sadie's mom)

Administrator's Note: A new thread has been started for Monica. So anyone who wishes to reply directly to Monica about Sadie can find them here: http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2735.
    Last edited by labblab; 11-21-2010 at 08:12 AM. Reason: To add a Note.

I forgot to mention that we have already tried reducing her 30 mg per day to only 15 mg per day (half powder)- 10 mg capsule per day does not help, but 15 mg seems to be enough does, BUT starting to cause the dangerous lethargy side effect. So we've tried adjusting the dose. In a few days, we might try 10-12 mg and see....but we are going to see if shaving most of her hair short and giving her NO vetoryl, if she will be just "ok". We're trying not to add to her list of problems by introducing new side effect problems....

Monica