Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring Shedding in July/August

Default Spring Shedding in July/August

My dog Jezebelle's coat usually blows out in the spring. This year, she didn't start shedding until mid-July, and I am still plucking tufts of fur from her coat and grooming daily.

I have had two horses with equine Cushings and one of the classic symptoms of the disease in horses is delayed shedding, or no shedding at all. That is what happened with my horses. I tested them when shedding issues arose and bingo, both had Cushings. In horses it's a simple blood test for ACTH, no stimulation.

My vet is chalking up the delayed shedding to the dog getting older (she's a 12 year old mixed breed, guessing some golden retriever). We ran blood tests and nothing came back abnormal except kidney function decreasing, which I can see that being a function of age.

In 2016, when Jezebelle was having problems drinking water (she had swallowed a stylus) and was dehydrated, the vet ran a blood panel on her. That came back as maybe Addison's. But after hydrating the dog and re-doing the test, the values came back normal.

She may be panting more than my other dog, and her back looks a little swayed to me.

Should I be concerned that she may have canine Cushings despite the blood tests not showing anything to indicate that? Again, my main concern stems from the delayed shedding.

Thank you for whatever insights you can provide.

Karin

Default Re: Spring Shedding in July/August

Hi Karin,

Welcome to you and Jezebelle! The most common symptoms of Cushing's in a dog are increased drinking/urination, ravenous appetite, intolerance to exercise, seeking cool places, reluctance to jump up on furniture or go up steps, hair and skin thinning, and pot-bellied appearance. Does Jezebelle have any of those symptoms? Cush dogs normally have elevations in the ALP, cholesterol, glucose, and triglycerides. Are any of those levels high with your girl?

If the shedding is the only issue that is leaning you towards a Cushing's diagnosis than I would say that it is highly unlikely that Jezebelle has it.

I'm sorry this is so short as I'm on my way out but I wanted to say "hi" and add a few comments, I'll try to get back later on. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask them, and know we are here to help in any way we can.

Lori

Lori,

Thank you for your response, especially since you were on your way out the door!

I think Jezebelle has a slight pot belly, and her hair is definitely thinner now after shedding for a month but she still loves to walk even in the heat and humidity. The values you mentioned were all in the normal range. She does love to eat but I can't say she's more ravenous than before. She inhales her food and to my chagrin scoops up any poop she may find along our walks. She urinates a lot but again I wasn't observant enough before to say that she urinates more. We did go through a month of her waking me up every hour throughout the night to go out. I ultimately opted to close my bedroom door and as far as I know there wasn't any urination in the house as a result. My bedroom door is open again and Jezebelle wakes me up only at 6:30 a.m. to go out.

Sounds like Cushings in dogs and horses present differently when it comes to shedding. Horses tho also have the pot belly, increased thirst and urination, and lethargy symptoms with Cushings.

I think the shedding issue means something ,just don't know what. If you have any other comments please add when you have time. Thanks again!

Karin & Jezebelle

Was an urinalysis done? Also, was a thyroid issue ruled out?

There was no urinalysis suggested by the vet, and I did not request one. What would such a test possibly point to besides infection? What would I request be analyzed from the sample?

According to the vet, the blood panel did not indicate a thyroid issue. I can request a copy of the test results so I could be more specific. Might take a day or two for the office staff to find the time to send the copy. Should I post results when received, or just certain values?

Karin & Jezebelle

Dog's with Cushing's have a low urine specific gravity (USG) and the urinalysis will show what the USG is. Also, an urinalysis may reveal stones, casts, protein-loss, bilirubin...although even if any of those are found I'm not sure if that would help in figuring out the delayed shedding.

As for the test results, if you would post those values that are abnormal with the reference ranges and units of measurement that would be great!

Lori

Having trouble attaching the May test results. The FAQ said to hit the Post Reply button and I would see below the text box a button labeled Manage Attachments.

But this is what I saw instead: