Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thoughts on Possible Cushings?

Default Re: Thoughts on Possible Cushings?

Thanks... and yes, we are going down from 30mg once a day to 10mg 2x a day for a total of 20mg.

FYI... wanted to update. Kiwi is still kicking butt. He is old, no doubt about it, he will be 13 in March, but he is still spirited and active. He has lost more weight and has some occasional issues with arthritis, but still is very eager to go for a several mile walk every day. I'll have to take him back sometime soon and get his cortisol level check I suppose. I am interested in Anipryl, not just for its Cushings effect but also for its longevity and cognitive benefits. I see some folks out there with some experience with the substance. Has anyone used it in conjunction at a low dose with Vetroyl?

Mark

My Squirt used it with Lysodren. Dr. Jack Oliver with the University of Tennessee in Knoxville told me it would be fine to use them together. HOWEVER, Lysodren and Vetoryl do not work the same way. Lyso works ONLY on the adrenal glands while Vetoryl works on the HPA (Hypothalamus, Pituitary, Adrenal) axis, or loop. Many many things are controlled along that loop so I would want to talk to Dechra about using the two of them together. You can reach Dechra here -

Telephone: (866) 933-2472
    E-mail: support@dechra.com
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

According to Dr. Mark Peterson, who is a renown veterinarian that specializes in endocrinology and frequently contributes to Dechra's online continuing education for veterinarians, Anipryl can be used concurrently with Trilostane; here's an excerpt from Dr. Peterson's blog:
    If you believe that Rigby has canine cognitive dysfunction, you can certainly use the drug selegiline hydrochloride, also known as L-deprenyl (veterinary trade name, Anipryl) along with the trilostane that the dog's already getting.
    https://endocrinevet.blogspot.com/20...hings-dog.html

So glad to hear that Kiwi is doing so well! You're doing a wonderful job!!!

Lori

Quote Originally Posted by Mark4124 View Post
    FYI... wanted to update. Kiwi is still kicking butt. He is old, no doubt about it, he will be 13 in March, but he is still spirited and active. He has lost more weight and has some occasional issues with arthritis, but still is very eager to go for a several mile walk every day. I'll have to take him back sometime soon and get his cortisol level check I suppose. I am interested in Anipryl, not just for its Cushings effect but also for its longevity and cognitive benefits. I see some folks out there with some experience with the substance. Has anyone used it in conjunction at a low dose with Vetroyl?

Mark
    I used it several years back before Vetoryl became available here in the US...it helped w/some of the more "out there" behaviors, which I assumed to be Cushings (as she was diagnosed) but are also common w/doggie dementia. Such as nighttime wandering, restlessness, barking, etc. Worked very well for us, and took the edge of the hunger and drinking urges. It's one of those hit or miss drugs...works for some, not for others, from what I have heard.