Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dachshund diagnosed and needs advice/thoughts

Default Dachshund diagnosed and needs advice/thoughts

Hi. I'm new here and need some advice and thoughts from others.

My 10 yr old Dachshund Tucker was diagnosed with cushings last year.
    A few years ago his blood work showed high alkp, but the vet never mentioned anything about it.
    As time went on the only symptoms Tucker had was excessive hunger. I was always told its because hes a Dachshund. I was even told this by 2 vets after getting another opinion. I didn't buy it because my other Dachshund isnt the same way.
    As more time went on his drinking habits increased, but he never had accidents. He was also having weird random body jolts that vets were clueless about. He had ibs issues as well off and on.
    Tucker ended up getting sick with a bought of pancreatitis after eating a bunch of box elder bugs after my neighbors cut a tree down. He threw up and had a bunch in it. Test showed his CPK was high. Followup was normal. All other labs were normal except the alkp which was high at 1604 (range 5-131). His weight did drop a few lbs because of it but he went back up to 16 lbs. The followup alkp came back at 1577 (5-131) so it actually dropped.

I saw a vet that was filling in for my normal vet at the time for the followup and mentioned the excessive hunger again and the high alkp. She said I should check for cushings even though my normal vet said if he put 10 dogs next to each other and looked at symptoms he'd pick the other dogs. He was pretty convinced he didnt have cushings because he didnt have the typical symptoms.
    We first had a urine cortisol test done which came back high. He came back at 16. The lab range went to 13. Then we had the ACTH stim test done. Cortisol sample 1 came back at 3.5 with the lab range of 1.0-5.0 so normal, however the cortisol sample 2 after the injection came back at 23.5 with the lab range of 8.0-17.0.
    He was then diagnosed with cushings.
    He was put on 30 mg of Trilostane.
    The followup test 2 weeks later showed sample 1 at 2.2 (range 1.0-5.0)
    and sample 2 at 4.8 (8.0-17.0)

I was told to keep him on 30 mg and retest in 6 months.

During this time he was always lethargic and just never wanted to do anything. I kept bringing it up, but was always told we wanted him more on the low end of normal. I ended up finding a new vet who charges a lot less for the tests so I took him to the new vet back in May.
    She ran a test and that test came back with sample 1 being 1.2 (1.0-5.0) and sample 2 at 2.7 (8.0-17.0)
    She lowered his dosage to 10 mg twice a day. The followup test showed sample 1 at 1.8 and sample 2 at 3.5.
    She said if I wanted I could try to give him 10 mg once a day or do twice a day and skip every other day to see how he is as far as being more like himself. Her whole thing was peeing accidents which he never had. She said she doesn’t usually put dogs on meds unless they are having accidents.
    I tried once a day on the 10 mg, but he did start to have to go outside more often and his water consumption was increasing although he always drinks a lot right before eating not so much during the day. I ended up putting him back on the 10 mg twice a day and he seemed to be doing fine on it....although his hunger issues were still there....so much he would wake me and my wife up almost every night as if he never had food, he was still more like himself and had energy. I did notice his hair was shedding a lot more, but no bald spots and its stopped almost completely. I figured it was the season change.

This past week Tucker somehow injured his left hip to the point he cant put any pressure on it and he cant walk right. I honestly have no idea how it happened. He's had hip issues for while, but one morning he woke up and was wobbling as he walked then it got worse. Thinking it was some kind of spinal issue which he has had in the past we took him to the usual vet and had x rays done. The vet said the x rays didnt show anything other then an old calcified spot on his lower back that wouldnt be causing this and no physical test he did showed any signs of an acl tear, etc.. although when he pulled back on his hip he did yipe. I mentioned if the cushings and his cortisol being to high or to low could cause it. He said no especially with just one side. He also said high cortisol can cause muscle wasting, but he isnt seeing it with him. Nothing else showed in his abdominal area other then a full bladder.
    I was told give him carprofen and tramadol. So far no difference.

I had the vet run some blood work thinking he'd run a full panel, but he didnt run a cbc. Just checked his liver/kidneys because he was giving him carprofen.
    I was told his labs looked good other then the alkp which he said was from the cushings, but after looking at a copy his BUN is low at 6 (range 7-27)
    and his AMYL is 378 (range 500-1500). The vet mentioned nothing about this. His last labs these were both normal. What concerns me is the Trilostane is causing it, but wouldnt his levels be high not low?
    He has only been going pee outside twice a day the last few days because of his hip issue. He holds onto it until he cant.
    The alkp has also gone higher. I thought when treated for cushions it should come down? Right now its 1912 (23-212). This last test was in house though where as the others were done by Antech so it was sent out.

Sometimes I wonder if he really has cushings and isnt something else, but based on the labs it would say yes. I havent had any tests done as far as ultrasounds or mri's.....I cant afford it. Pretty certain its pituitary though. The ACTH tests alone are breaking me, but I'm doing my best.
    I know the medication only helps with the symptoms so could this just all be his cushings is starting to catch up?

Does his acth labs look optimal or to low?
    I plan on having another test run soon as soon as I have the full funds since its been 90 days.
    Last edited by TheDude; 07-20-2018 at 02:56 PM.

Default Re: Dachshund diagnosed and needs advice/thoughts

Hello and welcome to you and Tucker! I apologize that I have only a moment to reply to you today, but I want you to know that we’re very glad you’ve found us, and we appreciate all the information that you’ve given us. I’ll definitely return tomorrow when I can take the time to carefully sort through the things you’ve told us. So stay tuned, and I’ll be back...

Marianne

Thank you. I look forward to it.

I'm puzzled at the moment with his hip issue. Last night he started to put some weight on his left leg and started to somewhat walk a little more. I actually didnt give him the Trilostine last night. I wanted to see if theres some odd connection with the meds because when he wakes up he seems to move a little more, but after an hour or so of taking the meds he cant walk on the one side again until several hours later. This morning he went out, went to the bathroom and ate with a limp, but looked a little better then I gave him the 10 mg pill and an hour after he actually sneaked out into the kitchen when I was making breakfast and either re injured himself or his hip just gave out. So it really does make me wonder if the meds are doing something. I think I'm going to stop him on the meds for a few days and see what happens. The only thing I'm worried about is his cortisol going up because of the pain and causing more damage. His breathing was a little heavier then usual this morning but has been lethargic so I wonder if he's not medicated enough or its just from the pain. I cant get him to the vet to have a acth test yet because I have no money from the last vet visit a few days ago and I know I'm in store for a good 2 tests. He's not drinking crazy amounts of water and he eats what I give him. I should mention he has had a t4 test ran (was actually by mistake) and has been tested for diabetes. Both were normal/negative.
    Last edited by TheDude; 07-21-2018 at 01:18 PM.

Gosh, I’m sure sorry that Tucker is having these problems. I wouldn’t worry about those two low readings on the BUN and amylase — the BUN is barely out of range, and I don’t know that the low amylase would mean anything in Tucker’s case, especially if it’s only turned up once.

As far as the ACTH results, they are all in the desired therapeutic range, but you really dodged the bullet on that. Your vet should not have said it was OK to wait for six months to test after the initial ACTH at the fourteen day mark. It is documented that cortisol levels often continue to drop downward further during the first month at a given dose, even when the dose is unchanged. So Tucker could easily have gotten into trouble with low cortisol. And even though not technically too low, Tucker might not have felt so lethargic and sluggish had his cortisol been permitted to run a bit higher. Also, a higher cortisol level might lessen discomfort caused by any arthritic or inflammatory pain that he might be experiencing. So I agree with your decision to lower his trilostane dose, and even with the notion of temporarily discontinuing it altogether in order to see how that affects Tucker’s behavior. You can always start back up at any time.

Also, in terms of monitoring trilostane treatment, we’ve been very excited to learn of a new monitoring protocol that only requires testing the baseline cortisol, and not the full ACTH. This protocol is recommended by Dechra, the makers of brand name Vetoryl, and seemingly has several advantages. Take a look at this post for more information:

http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/show...=1252#post1252

In the meantime, please let us know whether Tucker shows any improvement while off the medication.
    Marianne

Thank you for the reply!

I agree after some reading, that the vet should never have said go 6 months. Its pretty clear he has 0 clue with cushings. Of course the new vet I went to for the tests doesnt seem to have a clue either as she was getting feedback from the lab itself, but even she said she would have started him at 10 mg once a day, not such a high dose and worked up.
    Its hard finding good Drs for humans where I am and I guess its no different for pets. My dogs even prior to cushings have been to 2 other vet offices and not one caught the cushings early. I figure he's already had it for a good 4-5 years. I'm crossing my fingers my other one doesnt have or get it. So far no signs, but she is only 8. Tucker has cloudy eyes, but isnt blind....so I know the cushings has taken a tole on him. Hopefully he doesnt get sars. The poor guys been through so much.

Tucker did actually manage to get up himself and walk out without much issues awhile ago after I let my other dog out. I didnt think he was going to budge, but he did and he was almost walking normal. He's back resting. Been sleeping a lot and I know part of it are because of the pain meds especially the tramadol. I'm ok with it for now though so he can heal up hopefully. I know the carprofen can be risky with cushings, but he's been on and off of it for years and does ok with it. I make sure to give it with food and am keeping an eye on his stools. Its does seem to help.

I plan to talk to the vet about running his cbc and testing his potassium which hasnt been done since the diagnosis. I'll see if they can check his BP as well.

I will check out that link and even print it out for my vet to see.

I will post updates soon.
    Last edited by TheDude; 07-22-2018 at 07:24 PM.

Well going on day 2 of no Trilostane. Tucker is still lethargic, but has moments where he snaps out of it. He isn't begging for food or drinking large amounts of water. He does pant very easily outside. It is super hot, but he usually doesn't do that. His ears are a bit warm and he has clear nasal discharge at times. I'm still puzzled with his hip because one minute he's somewhat walking ok then the next cant at all or one wrong move and he hurts himself and just picks his leg up. It's disgusting that I can get an mri for $400 without insurance, but a small dog is crazy high. The Tramadol seems to help to a point. No idea about the carprofen. I'm guessing his issue is with a tendon. I bought Andrew Jones' Ultimate Formula as it has a lot of good stuff in it. I'm hoping it helps even a little. I'm calling the vet tomorrow about the cbc, etc.

Took Tucker to the vet today to get some lab results in since I had them run a super chem and talk about his hip issue more.
    Didnt get much with the hip. Was told could see an orthopedic Dr.. I know they will want an MRI so thats not going to happen. He said it could take time to heal.

Now as far as the blood work goes he told me its all unremarkable, but if he didnt know he had cushings he'd be wanting to test him for it.

He has several that are elevated (some slightly)

Total Protein 7.6 (5.0-7.4)
    Globulin 3.7 (1.6-4.4) He said this ones usually high with dental disease which I know my dog has.
    Alk Phos 2131 (5-131)
    Triglycerides 347 (29-291)
    Platlet Count 479 (170-400)

Everything else was normal including the potassium levels, wbc, rbc, etc... The only ones I'm really concerned with are the Platlets and the Triglycerides even though they arent crazy high. After seeing the results though its no wonder he just wants to sleep all day.

I told the vet I'm going to pretty much start over with the cushions. He prefers Lysodren over Trilostine and prefers a low dose dex test. He charges and arm and a leg though.

I am going to go to the other vet tomorrow that I have been having the tests done and run an ACTH test and go from there. Its pretty clear from the results the cushings isnt under control. I'm really hoping he isnt one of the cases that the meds are making the tumor grow faster. His labs have never looked like this.
    Back in November everything looked good when he was on 30 mg.

I prefer Lysodren to Vetoryl (Trilostane), too.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Why do you prefer Lysodren over the Trilostane?

It is an older drug and we know more about how it works.

It works ONLY on the adrenal glands while Vetoryl works on a pathway or loop between the hypothalamus, pituitary, and adrenal glands (the HPA axis). LOTS of things happen along that pathway that have nothing to do with cortisol regulation.

It is typically less expensive to use after the induction or loading phase because the dog does not take Lysodren daily and because fewer ACTH monitoring tests are required.

It typically requires fewer ACTH monitoring tests because the dose usually does not need to be changed very often if at all.

Monitoring test schedules do not matter. The ACTH monitoring tests can be given at any time because the drug has a long life in the body helping it to maintain a more uniform level of cortisol over time.

Dosing options are more easily obtained without resorting to compounding. Lyso comes only in tablets which are easy to break while capsules should never be opened and divided.

Vetoryl has been proven to cause elevations in the intermediate or sex hormones while lowering the cortisol.

If the dog has been misdiagnosed with Cushing's the odds of permanent damage from Lysodren are much lower than with Vetoryl.

I personally do not like nor trust anything that is "new and improved". Put those words on my laundry detergent that I have been using for decades and I will switch to a new one tomorrow.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.