Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Dachshund diagnosed and needs advice/thoughts

Default Re: Dachshund diagnosed and needs advice/thoughts

Well went to the vets office today. He said the lump on his leg is 50/50, could be a cyst, could be a tumor and the pathology report means what it says....inconclusive. He said I could wait a couple weeks to see if it gets bigger or smaller first. The main issue is the location. Its attached to skin so there will be an open wound and they'd have to wrap it with a bandage. Theres no extra skin to use. He said if it was his dog he would have it removed. He actually removed lumps from his dog all of the time, but doesnt recommend every lump be removed for clients, but in my case he does.

As far as the cushings test I had done at the other office, its no different then what I said. He doesnt know how to treat cushings. He said based on the results he would leave him low as you want them more addisons and he'd retest in 6 months not 2 weeks. Yea no, no no.

He does figure his occasional stool mucus is IBS related since he's always had issues in that area. Could possibly be from the pain meds. Lowered his dosage. The last blood test had the spec cpl on it and he felt his abdominal area with no concerns.

I would not be comfortable with more Addison's at all. I would rather the cortisol ran higher than lower.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

I agree with Joan, cortisol that is too low is much more harmful than elevated cortisol.

Poor Tucker. It sounds like he's been through a lot.

I hope you are able to get all the proper diagnosis's and treatments/medication doses so he can get back to his ole self.

Reading about your Tucker's ordeal puts my boy's current situation into some more perspective. He's currently exhibiting the standard symptoms of Cushing's and has elevated ACTP. Having his Cushing's test later this month, after he's staved off some infections.

What we won't do for our fur babies. I agree, the costs of these things seem higher than they should be, or could be. $425 seems a bit too high for an ultrasound. My Kobe hasn't needed one, yet so I'm not sure if that's a typical price.

Thanks. The surgery for his lump isn't going to be cheap. I'm trying hard to get the funds for it. The one thing I'm worried about is it will put his body under major stress. I don't want to create more problems. I want it out though because I'm pretty certain it's cancer and I'm hoping it hasn't already spread. I'm trying to get the ultrasound first because if he has nodules on organs that don't look right then surgery wouldn't help any. I only wish I bought insurance years ago.

Typical prices for an ultrasound is $300 to $500 do I wasn't surprised by the $425 quote.

I have Carecredit and I have relied on it many times, I even requested an increase in my credit limit when Bear needed major surgery, they were very understanding and approved it right away.

I'm including a link from our Resource Forum where you'll find a list of financial resources that may help with vet bills: http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/show...with-Vet-bills

Thanks for the information. I have care credit but they wont increase my limit unfortunately. I've called a few organizations and most I have called so far either don't help in the area I need it or I'm over the household income requirements. I'll keep looking.
    I started a go fund me page but so far only 1 $40 donation.

What's the story with surgery and cushings anyways? Is there risk to having serious cortisol increase after due to the anastasia and overall stress of the surgery and recovery?

Here's the latest update. Tucker had an acth test 3 days ago. He was reduced to 10 mg once a day from the twice a day dose. Results showed 0 change in levels and still low so he was taken off the meds.
    So far I'm seeing very little energy, he's starting to pant outside easily and his muscles are starting to get weak again. His neurological symptoms of having these weird random twitches are coming back as well. Even as low as the results were he had energy on the medication. He's eating and drinking fine. Still has a big appetite.
    Last edited by TheDude; 09-01-2018 at 12:08 PM.

Tucker's case sounds rather complex. I'm wondering if, since 10mg is the lowest dose available (although I read that 5mg is available in the U.S.) , if Tucker couldn't try 10mg every other day, if it can be done that way.

Hopefully the doctor and you can figure out the right treatment for little Tucker.

Kobe was finally diagnosed affirmatively with Cushing's (assuming his test isn't one of those false positives I've heard can happen), and the vet wants to put him on 60mg Vetoryl to start (he's 94 lbs, but overweight).

He still needs to get his ultra-sound, which by-the-way I found out is $350 in my area (western NY), so on the lower end of the range you indicated.
    Glen, Kobe's dad.

(pronounced Kobay)

The vet mentioned putting him on 5 mg which we can get, but because his levels hadn't come up at all even with a dosage drop felt taking him off made more sense. I'll probably retest in 2 weeks and see where he is at.
    Skipping days and doing every other day dosing is a no no according to the manufacturer. It can cause to many ups and downs because of the short life of the medication I guess.
    The interesting thing is the night after the acth shot/test and the morning after he was acting very normal.
    Last edited by TheDude; 09-01-2018 at 12:25 PM.