Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Right adrenalectomy...worried mom

Default Right adrenalectomy...worried mom

thanks for the add and creating such a great site. Ive realized after researching this topic it can lead to some scary and misleading info on various sites.

My 9year old, male, dachshund (Henry) is going in for a right side adrenalectomy next thursday. It has invaded the vena cava but the tumor still remains on the small size 1.5cm.
    This was an incidental finding after he had a back problem. He has recovered very well from his back. Aside from his back he has showed no symptoms! Even the vet said he shows no signs of cushing, his heart rate is very good. No hypertension. The other adrenal gland looks healthy. 2 vets have gave him only 4 -8 months to live if the tumor isnt removed. We have decided on removing the tumor. They gave him an 80% chance of success. Ive been an emotional wreck since we found out. Not sleeping well. Its a very hard decision considering my dog is running around and enjoying life. I know months down the road he will be struggling and we will be dealing with tumor completely blocking blood flow if we dont remove it. Ive read through the forum and many of you have great responses. I was wondering if anyone had a successful adrenalectomy that invaded the vena cava? How long did it take for your dogs to bounce back after surgery? or are they down for a few weeks?
    We are going to a vet surgeon specializing in tumors and he had very good outlook on the surgery.

Default Re: Right adrenalectomy...worried mom

Hi and welcome to you and Henry!

THE most important things I can share with you right now are 1) you and Henry are with family here now. We will be with you every step of the way. You will never be alone....all you need to do is holler and someone will be with you. Never hesitate to ask questions; we will do all we can to help you understand. And 2) to give you this link with a list of exceptional questions you need to ask the surgeon and yourself when facing an adrenalectomy. On of our former members put this list together. Her baby went thru several serious surgeries including adrenalectomies.

http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/show...-adrenalectomy

When the tumor has invaded the vena cava that increases the risk factors but I am sure you are already aware of that fact. If you trust the surgeon, lean on them for guidance. Do you know if this is a cortisol secreting tumor like the one found with Cushing's or is it a pheochromocytoma or other type adrenal tumor? Recovery can be rather long depending on how involved the surgery, any complications that may come up during or after, etc. but you can count on at least a few weeks then probably restricted activity for a bit after. But Henry's surgeon can better tell what to plan for.

I'm glad you found us! Others will be along soon to chat I am sure. Meanwhile here is a link to Flynn's thread. Flynn's mom made up the list of questions. Flynn has passed but he left behind a legacy that helps other pups who come after him who face these surgeries. Here is Flynn's story -

http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/show...-will-miss-you

Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Wow, I just spent the last hour reading through Flynns thread! Such a great story and gives us hope.
    The surgeon said it wasnt secreting any cortisol. He also said it wasnt acting like a functioning tumor. I tend to hear the worst of every situation. The surgeon was great and talked to us for almost an 45mins. He drawed out the procedure and answered my thousand questions. I have a lot of trust in him. He also prescribed a drug for blood pressure but said it may not do much since his BP is normal. He will start taking it on thursday. Now we just wait till next thursday and enjoy our time with Henry. Now only if I can keep my blood pressure down through this!

My dog Winston had a right adrenalectomy 11 months ago. His was also an incidental finding. It appeared to be non-functional and was a cortical adenoma (benign) on the biopsy. Our Cushings tests were negative, and his blood pressure was high normal but nothing excessive. He did take the phenoxybenzamine (which I suspect is the blood pressure med you will be starting?) because the surgeon said it improved outcomes. Our case is different that yours though, because Winston's did not invade his vena cava. It was stuck to the outside but not invading it, so the surgeon was able to peel it off. I updated our thread last week so it should be towards the first page or two in here. I didn't post too much before deciding to do surgery, but info about his surgery, recovery, and since then is all in there.
    Kellie, dog-mom to Winston

Yes that is the medication! I read through ur thread. Im so glad Winston is doing great! It gives me peace of my mind hearing sucess stories!!

Henry made it through surgery!! After an entire day of waiting the surgeon called and said it went "textbook" and everything went great. I know were not out of ruff waters yet but at least we got through surgery!

~~~whew~~~ Wonderful news! The first step is behind you! Prayers continue for an uneventful and swift recovery!
    Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Great news! You must be so relieved!
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Great news!!! Prayers for an uneventful and speedy recovery.

Hugs, Lori

I wanted to give an update! I know some people drop off after there dogs are doing well.
    Henry is at home now. He spent 2 days in the hospital following his surgery. We had no issues while he was in the hospital. He ate, peed and pooped the day we brought him home and continues to do so.
    He gets spurts of energy and wants to play but he gets tired quick. Its def a slow recovery. His wound site is big, we have been icing it 3 times a day. He is on several medications for the next few weeks. We are still waiting on the pathology report.
    Overall, hes doing great! The vet said he had no issues while in the hospital. They stimulated the left adrenal gland and said it was doing well.
    I call him my lil miracle dog.