Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yukon, American Eskimo - Experience w/ Lignans and Melatonin?

Default Re: Yukon, American Eskimo - Experience w/ Lignans and Melatonin?

Hi again! Youíll see Iíve merged your new thread into your original one, but Iíve changed the overall title to better reflect your current questions. This way, all of Yukieís info will remain consolidated in one place for us, but hopefully folks will be better aware of the advice youíre seeking right now.

As I wrote above, I was guessing this is the route your internist would go. To reassure you, melatonin and lignans are both generally safe supplements, so I donít think youíre risking anything by giving this a try. Weíll just have to see whether or not they improve Yukieís symptoms. Some of our members have seen success; some not as much. It usually does take time, however, for these supplements to produce observable results, so patience can be a great virtue. Iím hoping some of our members who have used these supplements will stop by to talk with you soon.

In the meantime, hereís a Lignans Fact Sheet published by Tennesse that helps guide owners re: obtaining lignans. Your vet may already have shared this with you, but if not, here it is.

https://vetmed.tennessee.edu/vmc/dls...NFORMATION.pdf

Marianne

Based on those results Yukon has Atypical Cushing's - meaning the cortisol is normal but 2 or more of the intermediate hormones are elevated. With these results I would not worry about trying Vetoryl (Trilostane) at all and I would put the thought of trying the Lysodren on a back burner. The protocol for Atyipcal is the combination of melatonin and lignans so I am glad they are not prolonging the separation of these two supplements. It typically takes at least 4 months to see any improvements so I am glad they will be combined soon. The melatonin will probably make him a little sleepy at first but he should adjust pretty soon and I would caution you to watch for diarrhea when the lignans are added and if that happens you can lower the dose of lignans and slowly increase. My Squirt started off Atypical and yes, the melatonin and lignans did help her so have hope but also have patience. Just remember it can take several months to see improvements.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

You said that Squirt started off Atypical - did he then go into a full Cushing's mode? Do they start out Atypical and then progress? And if so about how long does that take?

Yes, my Squirt started out Atypical then her cortisol started to rise and that meant she had true, or conventional, Cushing's with elevated cortisol. In most pups we have seen who have elevated cortisol their intermediate hormones are also elevated - they all seem to go hand in hand very often. Atypical is a controversial form of Cushing's - some vets will simply say there is no such thing, others say it is simply the first stage or a precursor to true Cushing's with elevated cortisol. However, we have had pups who never developed elevated cortisol. It's been a very long time since I've seen one but it has happened.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Well let's hope it happens with Yukon. I am starting the Melatonine tonight. Keep your fingers crossed.