Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Controlling Tyrant's skin sores

Default Re: Controlling Tyrant's skin sores

Quote Originally Posted by molly muffin View Post
    That does sound like it could be cc and if so, what you see are calicum deposits that form under the skin due to high cortisol and then they push up and out. It doesn't clear up until the deposits have all pushed up and out and no new ones have formed. Often on the forum here we have seen that a cortisol level under 5.0ug is optimal to prevent any new forming of calcium deposits. Keeping the areas clean and dry and using the anitibacterial sprays does help with them healing and not becoming infected.
    Thank you for your insight. I have been bathing him with the MiconaHex+Triz shampoo and using the spray in between. The left hind foot is still the worst and swollen and oozing. There have only been some small new sores on the body that appeared yesterday but not as bad as they have been previously. Hoping for good test results this next week.

Again I thank everyone for their sharing and caring!
    Cheryl

Tyrant had another ACTH Stim test yesterday. He was given his morning meds (32.5 mg Trilostane, 100 mg Gapabapentin, 12.5 mg Dermax, 125 mg Clavamox) at his usual time of 6 am with a meal and the test was done at the same time of the day as his previous test...approximately 4 hrs after morning meds, 10 am. His numbers are:

4/23/17
    Cortisol-pre ACTH 1.1 ug
    Cortisol-post ACTH 5.5 ug

previous test numbers:

4/6/18
    Cortisol-pre ACTH 3.6 ug
    Cortisol-post ACTH 6.1 ug

3/15/18
    Cortisol-pre ACTH 6.1 ug
    Cortisol-post ACTH 9.5 ug

Looks like he is finally in theraputic range but I am concerned that his pre number is too low. Any input is greatly appreciated.

It always makes me a bit uneasy when I see a pre number < 2 ug/dl but with his post being 5.5 ug/dl I'm not real concerned with his low pre. Did he seem relaxed when they did the pre? Also, did he always take the 100 mg dose of Gapabapentin with the other ACTH stim tests?

Quote Originally Posted by Harley PoMMom View Post
    It always makes me a bit uneasy when I see a pre number < 2 ug/dl but with his post being 5.5 ug/dl I'm not real concerned with his low pre. Did he seem relaxed when they did the pre? Also, did he always take the 100 mg dose of Gapabapentin with the other ACTH stim tests?
    No he has not been on the Gabapentin for any of the prior test. He has been on it for 2 weeks for the pain of his skin lesions. He also had 4 drops of Rescue Remeedy Pet yesterday morning to help with his anxiety that he has while at the vet. That probably all explains the low number. Thank you for helping me think this through!

Yep, I think that the Rescue Remedy Pet along with the Gapabapentin made him more relaxed which could explain that low pre. I'd just keep an eye on him and if he should start acting unwell that I'd stop the Trilostane, but I really think he will be fine.

Thank you...talking things out loud can really help see things we weren't thinking of. Yesterday and this morning he was very alert and active. He is weaning off the Gabapentin and his appetite is returning. Skin still has some bad spots but slowwly seeing an improvement. Hopefully this will continue.

I tuly appreciate everyone's input and making me aware that he needs to take his Trilostane with a meal...I really believe that is what has resulted in his numbers finally being in theraputic range. Hopefully the skin issues will now resolve and he will go back to being a 'tyrant'!

Glad to see that you hit a better range and as Lori said, I wouldn't be overly worried about the pre with a good post like you have.

Just keep doing what you are doing. How are those lesions looking this week?
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

His skin is still looking awful. The lesions are progressing down his hind legs and the right hind foot is now developing sores. The left hind is still very, very swollen with lumps on the bottom and in between the pads. The neck sores are still growing in size. I was weaning him off of the Gabapentin but he is still very painful so he is getting it twice a day. [IMG]20180426_202750[/IMG]
    Trying to figure out how to upload images to my reply but looks like I will have to add the updated photos to my page.

Last edited by happy2help; 05-03-2018 at 12:32 PM.

Poor Tyrant Hopefully those sores and lumps will heal up soon. When you have uploaded a photo, you can place it in your posts by using the BB code text that is displayed below the image when you view it at full size. Here's a pic of my boy, Harley, that I uploaded to my album with a red box around the BB code.

Let me try this upload thing...any suggestion how I get the photo in the correct direction. They are straight on my file but when they upload they are sideways.