Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Adrenal Tumor Cushings - struggling with decision, treatment

Default Re: Adrenal Tumor Cushings - struggling with decision, treatment

So Teddy has a bump - like a small bulge on his upper belly, right about where the incision started. I noticed it a few days ago - it is flexible, I can press on it and it gives, but it is solid... looks like the end of a bone or something ... my son wondered if it might be a hernia. I looked up pics - of course the most crazy ones come up first, but I did see something similar. I have emailed regular vet and I guess I'll call surgeon tomorrow. I certainly hope I wrong.

Darn, yes, a hernia does seem like a possibility. I wonder if another possibility might be a hematoma, or collection of blood, from some sort of leakage or tear associated with the incision. I do think it’s best to notify the surgeon and/or let your vet take a look. I’m so sorry that Teddy’s post-op course has been so difficult. There was so much stress leading up to the surgery itself — I was really hoping you guys would catch a break afterwards.

Prior to hearing about the bump, I was planning to write to encourage you to get that ACTH done, because I was wondering whether some of his discomfort/symptoms might be due to the early weaning of the prednisone/low cortisol. But now I also wonder whether the bump — whatever it is — is contributing to his restlessness. Poor guy, and poor you! Please let us know what you find out.

Marianne

I emailed his vet and she responded this morning which was nice. She asked me to bring him in sooner for the acth test bc of the symptoms. She said bump might also be fluid build up - I'm hoping it's just weird scar tissue. It's not getting worse and it's not discolored. I'm relieved to get the test done and get her back in the picture. He will still see surgeon Thursday. His eye is looking better which is nice - that made me wince. Hoping to get the cone off soon - poor thing! I'm hoping it's something simple - not a hernia. I don't know what fluid feels like, but this feels solid but moved back or gives. Idk - I'll let you know if I learn anything tomorrow. Most likely Thursday before we get ACTH results.

Teddy Update:

ACTH test showed low levels so he is addisonian. Follow up bloodwork showed his electrolyte was okay so they are upping his prednisone back to 2.5 2x/day but don't have to do the injection med for addisons. I knew his signs looked worse so it makes sense. The surgeon says it can take months for the remaining adrenal gland to start working but it's a delicate balance because if you supplement too much adrenal gland won't feel the need to do it's job.

The follow up blood work had an elevated BUN/UREA level so they suspect some bleeding in GI tract/ digesting blood. They started him on sulcrafate (some stomach stuff) and metrazidole. And I am supposed to get some Pepcid AC . His Crea level was normal so that was good - I think if both were elevated it can indicate kidney issue.

On positive - he got his stitches out. Surgeon didn't say anything about that nodule (I didn't see him but I think he would have addressed it if it was hernia). No more cone head - his eye looks a lot better. He seems pretty comfortable.and I don't have to take him back for 3 weeks so hopefully I get a break too.

What an excellent update on Teddy. I think the vet would have mentioned if it was a hernia too. You could always just call and ask the vet to clarify what it is.

I'm glad he is doing so much better. yes it can definitely be a balancing act to get that adrenal gland to kick back in. Some do and some never do. You just wait and see.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Just thinking about you guys today and hoping that all is going well.

Marianne

I am so sorry that I have been silent - you all offered me so much support and then I disappeared. I apologize. I am here with a Teddy update . I will try to add a photo to my album as well. As you know,Teddy had an andrenalectomy in the spring. It was a very tough decision for me given his age and the uncertainty of surgery. He did pretty well with surgery. He had an incision revision but ultimately recovered. When they tried to wean his prednisone, he had a crisis, but after IVs and TLC, he recovered from that as well. His remaining adrenal gland has yet to kick into gear. He is not full blown addisons -the vet says that he does not need the additional steroid or medication often used for Addisons but he still takes 2.5 mg prednisone 2x/day. Most of his hair has returned. It is still sparse on his shoulder area but his nose and tail look almost normal. His stomach is not abnormally bloated and he gained some weight back. He is pretty active - I think he tires more easily, but he just turned 13 so I should probably cut him some slack. He is happy. He chases the ball and he follows me around. He eats non-food items. This has been serious at times. He got a shaving razor off the bathroom counter and swallowed the head in August. They vet could not do surgery so they gave him special food and X-rays every few hours to track the razor - miraculously he passed it. A friend of mine is now convinced he is actually a cat (9 lives). For anyone debating the surgery - it is not a quick fix, but in my case I am glad I did it. I was not ready to let him go and he was not ready to go. Addisons does not seem to be as degenerative as the Cushings was for Teddy so although I wish I could get him off prednisone and get him to stop eating dangerous or gross things, it is better than watching him with Cushings. Of course every dog is different and Teddy wa and is pretty young at heart. I wish he had not been misdiagnosed and gone so long that his healthy adrenal gland atrophied, but here we are. I am very grateful for everyone on this board that followed the blow by blow of his treatment and my difficulty in trying to decide on surgery. I am glad Teddy is still here with me and I hope that he keeps improving. Thanks to all for caring about us!
    Last edited by Catbud; 10-07-2018 at 12:36 PM.

Awwwww, no need at all to apologize! We are here to be of service to you whenever you need us, no matter how much or how little time has passed. Thanks so much for your update! Teddy is such a sweetheart, and I’m surely glad to hear your report. Every bit of info may help yet another Cushpup down the road. I think this is especially the case with adrenal tumors since the treatment journeys can be so variable among our members. Please give Teddy a huge hug from his family here, and like you, we’ll surely hope for even more improvement as time goes on.

Warm wishes to you both, always.
    Marianne

Thanks - I just added 2 recent photos to his album! No one can believe he is 13 - he still has his puppy personality, but he does plop down hard after playtime. I cannot tell if it is from his condition, prednisone or age - but he’s still happy so I’m just going with it. We still have expensive ACTH Stim tests periodically and his levels are not going up so his remaining adrenal may not kick in, but at least he’s not wasting away - that was what ultimately pushed me to surgery: I couldn’t watch him deteriorate and if he had died in surgery I would have spent money for nothing but would not have lost anything else because he was going downhill.

I hope his journey is helpful to others but it is such a personal decision and every dog seems to present differently. I was about to respond to the person who just posted about her 13yr old with Venus cava invasion and say that if Teddy had invasion I was not going to do surgery, but then I saw a post from someone who did surgery despite invasion with a great outcome. Getting lots of info was helpful to me - Thanks to this forum I definitely knew more than my first vet who ignored and dismissed him when he first started showing signs and I got a new vet.

It’s very kind of you all to keep this board going and so current. I’ll be sure to post future developments.
    Last edited by Catbud; 10-07-2018 at 12:32 PM.