Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gus - Recent diagnosis

Default Gus - Recent diagnosis

Our baby who is almost 10 years old was diagnosed with Cushings. We did all the testing last week. He's been on meds for 4 days now and was sick today. He vomited last night and this morning and will not eat. He just drinks and even vomited afterwards as well. This is not like him because he loves food.They put him on 30mg of Trilostane. I have been reading and it seems its too much. His weight is 28.5 pounds. We did not see the normal vet when we began the testing, we saw someone new at our vets but I think we will give them a call tomorrow and get him in to see our normal vet. HE is currently at VET ER.

I will keep you posted.

Any other info would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks
    Lindas

Default Re: Recent diagnosis

Hi Linda and welcome to you and your precious baby boy,

I am so so sorry to hear he is not well but am very grateful he is at the ER...that is exactly where he needs to be. It does sound as if the cortisol dropped too low, which is a life-threatening situation so you did well to contact the ER asap. The new starting dose for this drug is 1mg/lb so 30mg/day for a 28.5 lb dog isn't really too high tho each pup is different. My larger concern is the accuracy of the diagnosis. But we can talk about that later. For now, I just want you to know we are with you and pray your sweet boy will be back home in your arms very soon. Please keep in touch and let us know what you learn when you can.

Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Hi Linda, welcome to you and your boy. I am so sorry he is sick, but grateful you were able to get him to the ER. Please do let us know how he is doing when you can.

Hugs,
    Shana
    Mama to Jackson and Kira, and my darling Cushing's angel, Visuddha

Hi Leslie and Shana

He's not doing good. Our regular vet wanted to put him down today because he developed pancreatitis with kidney failure and his sugars went through the roof.

So, we took him to another hospital - with really rave reviews from many people we know and the vet told us what needed done. He did not suggest putting him down. So, I told them to please make him better. So, now hes on antibiotics, insulin to regulate his sugar. He's getting fluids and other meds as well and will be in hospital for about three days.

Please, please, please. Pray for Gus!!!! We can use all the prayers.

I have a dog reikiologist working on him from afar.

I will keep you all posted.

Thank you all.

Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Squirt's Mom View Post
    Hi Linda and welcome to you and your precious baby boy,

I am so so sorry to hear he is not well but am very grateful he is at the ER...that is exactly where he needs to be. It does sound as if the cortisol dropped too low, which is a life-threatening situation so you did well to contact the ER asap. The new starting dose for this drug is 1mg/lb so 30mg/day for a 28.5 lb dog isn't really too high tho each pup is different. My larger concern is the accuracy of the diagnosis. But we can talk about that later. For now, I just want you to know we are with you and pray your sweet boy will be back home in your arms very soon. Please keep in touch and let us know what you learn when you can.

Hugs,
    Leslie

Healing, strengthening energies flying his way and your, and prayers rising for Gus, his docs, and his worried mom.

Hugs and gentle ear scritches!
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Praying for Gus...
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Oh dear, poor Gus. Well the one thing you don't need to think about right now is the cushings, you wouldn't give cushing meds to a sick dog anyway. So get the blood sugar regulated. You'll want to have electrolyte tests done which I assume the ER is doing to make sure that stays balanced and then pancreatis can take a bit to get over and is very painful, so even when he does come home, (and see we are going with the positive that he will be home soon), you'll want to make small meals, no fat, so mushy rice and boiled chicken. Just boil them both with lots of water and then just give tiny meals several times a day.

Come on Gus!!
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Gus. Acute pancreatitis can cause kidney failure and may interfere with the stabilization of blood sugar so hopefully getting that pancreatitis under some kind of control will enable the kidneys to function better and bring down that blood sugar level. Keep us updated, please.

Hugs, Lori

UPDATE ---

They have our baby on three antibiotics. One is a hefty broad spectrum, the other is targeting the pancreas. They are giving him some insulin because his sugar is on a roller coaster ride. When we took him in it was 471, then it fell to 87 by the time we left last night. We tried to feed him some baby food and his sugar spiked up again. So, they are doing insulin on him.

He's not getting any worse but a tad bit better. Last night the techs told us he was very nosy. He would lift his head and look to see what was going on. He also tried to sit up and then just plopped down.

They do have him on oxygen to help him with his breathing. He's also on morphine for the pain.

My nephew was with him this morning and he was sitting on his lap. He did drink a little water and when he was getting comfy on his lap to go to sleep which he needs badly - they came in and took him away because he had to do his treatments.

I got a call this am and they did tell me once he got his morphine he was resting.

Please continue the prayers.

Linda

That update gives me a bit hope! But prayers and healing energies will continue as long as needed.

Hugs,
    Leslie

PS You might take one of his blankets or a shirt of yours to put in his cage at the vet's - that can often bring them some comfort.