Thread: Dietrich the English Bulldog

Default Dietrich the English Bulldog

My name is Jeff and I'm new to the forum and still new to Cushing's. Dietrich is 7 years old and was diagnosed with Cushing's this past summer. He's on 35mg x2 of vetoryl and seems to have good days and bad with his drinking and peeing still. His distended abdomen never seemed to get any better, and his calcinosis cutis is still spreading though he's a trooper and let's me clean the wounds and excise some of the calcium plates that need a little help coming out. Anyway, just checking in and introducing myself and Dietrich, I'm sure I'll be around here for the long haul
    Last edited by cgw; 02-14-2018 at 08:34 AM.

Default Re: Dietrich the English Bulldog

Hi Jeff and welcome to you and Dietrich!

CC is one of the difficult complications that can come with Cushing's. It is imperative that the cortisol be brought into optimal range in order to get it under control. For a pup on Vetoryl that would be an ACTH post number of around 3 ug/dl. Anything above 5 ug/dl mean the CC will keep the upper hand. So you want to be sure that post number is around 2.5-3.5gu/dl. Would you mind sharing the ACTH results? There should be several since he was diagnosed this summer.

I also want to share with you a thread of one of the pups who had CC and her journey. She and her mom fought it hard and well...and their story can help you. Sadly Tobey has passed but she continues to help pups thru her story. You can read about her journey here - http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?5908

If the cortisol is not at optimal levels that may also account for the signs you are continuing to see so letting us see those ACTH results will help us give you more meaningful feedback.

Dietrich is a handsome fellow and I know he is proud to have a dad who will work so hard to make his life the best it can be. I am glad you found us and look forward to learning more as time passes.

Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Hello, Jeff, and welcome to you and Dietrich — we’re so glad you’ve found us! I’m afraid I only have time for a quick note now, but I’ll return later on. In the meantime, I just wanted to let you know that I’ve moved your thread to our main discussion forum. This way, more of our members are likely to see your thread and enter into the conversation.

Once again, we’re so glad to have you here!
    Marianne

Hello and welcome to the forum. Yes, that picture definitely looks like the typical cc, red and angry. Key is keeping it clean and cry as can be. A topical spray antibiotic would be good to keep it from getting infected too.

As leslie mentioned, with cc, we have found that it is key to get the post ACTH number under the 5.0ug marker, so it can clear up and not develop any further calcium deposits. It is one of the hardest and longest symptoms to clear up, as all the current deposits need to push up and out through the skin. What you want is to have no new deposits form so that once the current ones are out, then the skin and hair can regrow. You are looking at months to get this cleared and that is once you get under 5.0ug.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)