Thread: Rat Terrier on Trilostane

Default Rat Terrier on Trilostane

Hello, I am new to the group and have a 13 year old rat terrier diagnosed with Cushings about 6-8 months ago. She also has hypothyroidism. She is on Trilostane twice a day and it seems to be managing her symptoms pretty well. The other day she peed on my bed so I am thinking that a vet visit may be in order. To be proactive, I have scheduled a visit and they will be doing the testing (??) again that was originally done. Being sort of new to this, I don't even know what the test is called! She will be there for several hours. I guess I am concerned with what happens when her condition worsens...what are the symptoms that are most often seen? When I return to the vet, I will get copies of all lab work, etc. so that I can provide more specific info. to the group.
    Last edited by Lbocko; 02-20-2019 at 10:33 AM.

Default Re: Rat Terrier on Trilostane

Hi and welcome to you and your baby girl!

I don't have much time right now to chat but wanted to welcome you both and let you know I have moved your thread into our Discussion forum where members will see it more easily. This is where you will post from now - we like to keep all posts about each pup in one place. That way it is easier to look back thru the history if needed.

I'm glad you found us and am sure others will be along soon to talk with you.
    Hugs
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Hi and welcome from me too. Has she not had an ACTH test done in the 6 to 8 months since the first test? The protocol is that an ACTH test is done 14 days after first taking the medication, to make sure that the dosage is not too high, then again at the 30 day mark.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Hi Joan,

Now that you mention that, I do believe she had one follow up test and they felt the dosage of the medication was good. So this would be her third test. She also occasionally has rear leg shakes. And out of the blue, she began to raise her front paw as if it was hurt (yesterday)...I gave her an anti-inflammatory and within a few hours she was fine again. I may just be getting a little paranoid about unusual things at this point but thought I'd mention in case these are symptoms of progression or dosage changes that may be needed.
    Last edited by Lbocko; 02-21-2019 at 01:29 PM.

Thanks for helping and putting my post in the right place. Looking forward to learning more about this illness and how I can help my pup stay as comfortable as possible.

If you could get copies of those ACTH stimulation tests and post the results that would be great! Also how much does your girl weigh and what dose of Trilostane is she taking? Is she still having pee accidents?