Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Wayne has crossed The Bridge / Wayne-Newly diagnosed 10-year-old pit mix

Default Re: Wayne-Newly diagnosed 10-year-old pit mix, horrible reactions to Vetoryl/Trilosta

I'm so sorry for this new issue. It may be that when his cortisol is higher, it is "masking" symptoms from arthritis (or an injury, like your vet said, especially since it seems to have come on suddenly). But then I'd think the tramadol would be helpful. I wish I had a helpful suggestion to offer!! Hang in there..
    Mama to Jackson and Kira, and my darling Cushing's angel, Visuddha

Default Re: Wayne-Newly diagnosed 10-year-old pit mix, horrible reactions to Vetoryl/Trilosta

Is Wayne by any chance eating raw chicken? A study in Melbourn, AU has found that dogs who eat raw chicken have a 70% higher risk of developing a rare paralysis that starts with weak back legs. Here is the info just in case -

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...vim.15030/full
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Squirt's Mom, that is terrifying - thanks for sharing. Luckily, no, he doesn't eat raw chicken, just Taste of the Wild dry dog food.

DoxieMama, I had the the same theory, that the cortisol was masking his arthritis symptoms, as his levels come back down into normal range, we're seeing just how much it affects him and his mobility. After all, cortisol is essentially what we'd give him for inflammatory disease treatment, so taking it away is bound to uncover something. He does in fact have arthritis, but the onset of his limp was very strange. The vet said we could get an X-ray but that seems like overkill -- Maybe he just needs to take more than the minimum dose of tramadol. He is allowed up to 6 pills per day but he's only getting 2 - unfortunately, that does not seem to be helping. I didn't want to ramp him up too quickly on that because of the stomach upset side effects but we should probably do that before we assume anything terrible. I wonder if all that cortisol in his system for those many months would be enough to cause hip degeneration? Because it really seems to be mostly his back leg, and maybe a little overcompensation in the front leg. I have no idea how to evaluate this on my own, so an expert opinion will be helpful. I just feel like we're going down an endless rabbit hole with trying to figure out what is going to take him out next. This is all so challenging. I am so glad you guys understand what we're going through.

I'm inclined to think the same that this is arthritis showing up because the cortisol is being lowered.

It can be a balancing act to find the right level of cortisol with a dog who has other issues such as arthritis. If it were me, I would want to bring the cortisol up just enough that he isn't in any pain while still doing a tolerable job of controling the cushings.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Good news, I think the limp is almost gone! He didn't even take his pain pill yesterday or today, and so far so good! I am so relieved. It's possible I irritated his hip joint lifting him into the car last week (he's a big boy and I'm super pregnant so I'm sure it wasn't the most elegant lift). He's still resisting longer walks but he is no longer refusing to go, so that's a big improvement. Now we just need to keep a close eye on him and make sure it doesn't return!

That is excellent news and of course anything can strain a joint and then they just require time and rest for it to heal. So maybe that was the cause. Eeeek, hard to life a big dog when pregnant!
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Well, a new limp has now shown up. I really don't understand what is going on, but it's pretty clear that it's not due to an injury. This poor guy just cannot catch a break. And his skin problems are not really resolving. I think he needs to be seen sooner than the vet expected. I'll post any updates once he's seen. I hope it's something simple... and easily treated.

Poor boy... will keep you guys in my thoughts and hoping right along with you. Let us know~!
    Mama to Jackson and Kira, and my darling Cushing's angel, Visuddha

Did you go to the vet yet? What did he say about the new limp? Is it any better?

The limp disappeared within 24-36 hours! It's so weird, it's like temporary, migrating arthritis!