Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nimby newly diagnosed/CBD oil and Vetory - Nimby has passed

Default Re: Nimby newly diagnosed

There really is no "set diet" for a dog with Cushing's. A diet should be tailored to that dog's particular health issues. We usually suggest not switching a dog's diet because if new supplements/medications are going to be introduced and the dog were to start having some ill side effects than it makes it hard to distinguish just what the culprit is. Having said that, generally what is recommended is a feed with a high quality protein and moderate fiber.

Hello I just wanted to pop in and see how you and Nimby are doing. Everything a okay? Any issues you would like to discuss?
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Default Question re: Cushings and vaccinations

Hi there! My dog Nimby is doing well on veteroryl 30mg/day. Was diagnosed ~3 months ago. My question is about vaccinations and whether it is considered “safe” to do so. I haven’t found anything stating either way.
    Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Question re: Cushings and vaccinations

Hi Erin,

Good to see you again and very glad Nimby is doing well on treatment!

I have merged your post about vaccinations into Nimby's original thread. We like to keep all posts about each dog in one thread. That way is it easier to look back thru the history if needed plus the thread serves as a sort of diary of the Cushing's journey for us parents.

The question of whether to vaccinate or not is personal. Some of us do, some of us don't. Many factors play into the decision - age, how long the dog has been taking vaccines, health issues, reactions to vaccines to name a few. Various vaccines have differing guidelines per state and per country so that is something else to consider. Many here have the vets perform titers to see the status of antibodies...often those titers show the antibodies are still very high making the vaccine unnecessary. But you will need to research your state/country laws and guidelines, talk to your vet, and consider all of Nimby's health issues to make the best decision for him. Personally, I have 3 dogs - a senior Pug with focal seizures, a geriatric Chihuahua, and a young mixed breed. The Pug and the Chi do not get vaccines, the young dog does and will for another year or so (our vet uses the 1-year vaccine VS the 3-year). BUT once he has had a few years of vaccinations he will no longer get them as the antibodies will be built up and likely good for several years. He will get titered to see where he stands. You can google "canine vaccines" and learn quite a bit in general then go from there. I'm sure others will be along soon to add their 2 cents.

Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Hi again from me, too, Erin! It’s great to hear that Nimby is doing well on his Vetoryl — we love reading success stories here! As far as vaccinating, Leslie has done a great job of mirroring my own thoughts. No dog should receive vaccinations during a time that he is acutely ill, and a dog with uncontrolled Cushing’s may well fall into that category. However, once treatment has been in place such that elevated cortisol levels drop and symptoms normalize, it’s my thought that vaccination decisions should then be based on the individual situation of any given dog. As Leslie says, I’d take into account factors such as overall health, lifestyle, risk factors, geographic incidence of disease, likelihood of exposure, and previous vaccination history/experiences.

Given Nimby’s age of 13, he may already have received enough vaccinations to continue to protect him for a length of time. As Leslie says, one way to check this is to perform titer testing for those diseases for which the testing is available. If the testing shows a sufficient level of response is still in place, then you can safely hold off on revaccination for those diseases. I think another big factor, though, is lifestyle. If Nimby mainly stays in the house with little exposure to other dogs, then risks of contracting disease may be minimal. If instead he has a lot of contact with other dogs on walks, at a dog park, or through the groomer, for instance — then his potential exposure to disease will be greater.

In summary, I don’t think that Cushing’s, per se, generally makes vaccination a better or worse option. As long as the Cushing’s is under control and my dog isn’t actively ill, then in addition to the Cushing’s I’d want my vet to take into consideration the same variables as for any other dog in his/her care.

Marianne

Hello from me too and great to hear that Nimby is doing so well. Yay!

I vaccinated but as Leslie and Marianne mentioned, it is a person decision, environement (is Nimby in an area with quite a few wild animals, etc) And of course a titer would show if a vaccine was even needed.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Default CBD oil and Vetoryl

Hello!
    I’m new-ish to this. Nimby is a 13 year old JRT X, ~15lbs. He is on 15mg of vetoryl per day. He is stable with this dose (although I don’t have any of his level numbers with me).
    My question is: does anyone have experience with giving their dog CBD oil? If so, is there any concern about drug interaction/side effects? I could ask my vet, but I’m pretty certain she won’t have an opinion because this is a “natural” medication.
    I appreciate any and all feedback. Again, I don’t have any of his levels but want info/opinions on CBT oil.
    Thanks in advance

Default Re: CBD oil and Vetoryl

I've been giving my old JRT CBD oil for nearly 2 years. He isn't on vetoryl so I have no idea about this but It is recommended to wait 3 hours between supplements and meds & giving the CBD. This was recommended by his holistic vet and the dose set by him. It is quite expensive and theraputic dosing is quite high, There are some good groups on facebook & advice from some of the manufacturers on dose/contraindications.

Default Re: CBD oil and Vetoryl

Thank you so much for your reply and info!

Hi Erin,

I've merged your latest post into Nimby's original thread, we like to keep all posts about each pup in a single thread as it makes it easier for members to refer back to the pup's history when needed. I also added CBD oil and Vetoryl to his thread title.

Could you do us a favor and get those monitoring ACTH stimulation test results and post them here? And when/why was his Vetoryl reduced from 30mg to 15 mg? Also, I was wondering if you would share why CBD oil is being looked into...thanks!

Lori