Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nimby newly diagnosed/CBD oil and Vetory - Nimby has passed

Default Nimby newly diagnosed/CBD oil and Vetory - Nimby has passed

Hello everyone! My sister raves about this forum and website when her dog was being tested for cushings. He came back negative, but my best bud Nimby was recently diagnosed. So, in advance, thank you for any answers and information you can provide
    Nimby is a JRT x, almost 13, and weighs 7.5kg. His ACTH level was 712, which is quite high. We just started Vetoryl 30mg once daily (about 2 hrs ago) He has also been prescribed Hycodan for bronchitis and a puffer which is not yet filled (and I have questions re:steroid use with Cushings treatment). This is all new to me and I’m really scared. So far, no signs of any major side effects other than possible lethargy. Thankfully I’m on holidays and can monitor him closely.
    My first question is: how long do side effects typically last?
    Thanks again
    Erin

Default Re: Nimby newly diagnosed

Hi Erin and welcome to you and Nimby! Can you provide clarification on what you meant when you said "no signs of any major side effects other than possible lethargy"? This has me concerned. The starting dose you have him on is higher than the manufacturer recommends now. They have reduced their recommended starting dosage to 1mg per pound, or 2.2mg per kg. This would be 16.5mg; at 30mg it may be too high a dose to start with. I'm sure others will post with more information.

In the meantime, can you also share with us the symptoms that Nimby displayed which led to the testing?

Shana
    Mama to Jackson and Kira, and my darling Cushing's angel, Visuddha

Hi Shana! Thanks for getting back.
    I did mention the starting dose and recommendations being lower, but didn’t hear back from vet. I have t had much support from my vet, therefore I will be going to a new clinic.
    About an hour or so after giving him the medication, he became lethargic, but there has been to gastro upset, or anything else.
    Nimby’s thirst, hunger, and urination had increased substantially. I suppose now when I look at him, he might have a bit of a pot belly as well.
    Should I be concerned about relatively little side effects today or should I be relieved?

Hi Erin and a belated welcome to you and Nimby. Vetoryl can drop cortisol rather quickly in the first few days and it is not uncommon for some dogs to go through cortisol withdrawal. They feel crummy but usually feel better after a few days. Since the starting dose is higher than recommended, make sure you watch for signs of cortisol dropping too low. Signs can be one or many such as not eating, extreme lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, tremors and extreme weakness. Because Vetoryl is a short acting drug, with it's effects waning any time after 8 hours, cortisol normally rises enough over the course of the day to make the dog feel better rather quickly. Rule of thumb is if you see any symptoms I've mentioned above, withhold Vetoryl and call your vet. If Nimby's lethargy worsens, it might be a good idea to call your new vet and discuss the possibility of lowering the dose.

I don’t know what happened, but my response didn’t post. Not only am I new to Cushings, but also to posting on forums.
    The only side effect he has displayed so far is lethargy. His BM’s are normal as well as no other gastro upset. Should I be concerned or relieved he doesn’t have any other side effects?
    What led me to get him tested was not necessarily cushings related, but not normal either way. He was drinking and urinating more as well as his appetite being more voracious than usual, which was hard to notice because he loves food so much! Hindsight, he does seem a little more “pot bellied”, but nothing like what I have seen. Skin and hair appear normal. He also has bronchitis as the moment.
    I spoke to the vet (via email) about my concerns re: his dose. She explained to me he fell under the “mid range” for his weight. Because of the lack of side effects, I’m ok with this now.
    I DO, however, have a concern with his prescribed puffer (Flovent), as it is a steroid and counterproductive to his cushings treatment. My vet is not at all open to much communication (I have only “spoken” to her through email as she will not call me back). I am in the process of finding a new vet, but I can’t go again until he has his one month testing ($ is becoming an issue).

Hi Erin! I apologize that I have only a moment to post this evening. But I just discovered that your membership had not yet been finalized, and that’s why your replies were not publicly viewable. I’ve now manually approved your membership (an “automatic” email confirmation notice had been sent to you, but it may have erroneously ended up in your junk folder). At any rate, you are now fully approved, and you can just disregard the confirmation notice if it does end up finding it’s way to you ;-). From now on, your replies will become visible just as soon as you post them.

Once again, welcome!
    Marianne

Quote Originally Posted by NImby’sMom View Post
    He also has bronchitis as the moment.
    I spoke to the vet (via email) about my concerns re: his dose. She explained to me he fell under the “mid range” for his weight. Because of the lack of side effects, I’m ok with this now.
    I DO, however, have a concern with his prescribed puffer (Flovent), as it is a steroid and counterproductive to his cushings treatment. My vet is not at all open to much communication (I have only “spoken” to her through email as she will not call me back). I am in the process of finding a new vet, but I can’t go again until he has his one month testing ($ is becoming an issue).
    With our cushdogs it is preferred using medications that do not contain any steroids but sometimes this can't be done so you may see some Cushing's symptoms reappear.

Thank you for your thoughtful replies. This is all very new and scary to me, and you’ve calmed me down a bit for now
    I appreciate it so much!
    He seems “depressed” this am and had a bit of a restless sleep. I’m so hyper vigilant right now that it seems like every little movement makes me nervous!
    So far though, his BM’s are normal (soft but formed). Hey...where else can I talk about a dog’s BM’s!! And no vomiting.
    Wondering what everone’s opinions are on diets for Cushings pups? I switched Nimby to Instinct brand as well as making him some home cooked (chicken or hamburger, rice,spinach,squash,carrots) The home cooked is more of a “treat meal” right now as I don’t know enough to make it his staple.
    Last edited by NImby’sMom; 12-06-2017 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by labblab View Post
    Hi Erin! I apologize that I have only a moment to post this evening. But I just discovered that your membership had not yet been finalized, and that’s why your replies were not publicly viewable. I’ve now manually approved your membership (an “automatic” email confirmation notice had been sent to you, but it may have erroneously ended up in your junk folder). At any rate, you are now fully approved, and you can just disregard the confirmation notice if it does end up finding it’s way to you ;-). From now on, your replies will become visible just as soon as you post them.

Once again, welcome!
    Marianne
    Thank you Marianne!

Quote Originally Posted by lulusmom View Post
    Hi Erin and a belated welcome to you and Nimby. Vetoryl can drop cortisol rather quickly in the first few days and it is not uncommon for some dogs to go through cortisol withdrawal. They feel crummy but usually feel better after a few days. Since the starting dose is higher than recommended, make sure you watch for signs of cortisol dropping too low. Signs can be one or many such as not eating, extreme lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, tremors and extreme weakness. Because Vetoryl is a short acting drug, with it's effects waning any time after 8 hours, cortisol normally rises enough over the course of the day to make the dog feel better rather quickly. Rule of thumb is if you see any symptoms I've mentioned above, withhold Vetoryl and call your vet. If Nimby's lethargy worsens, it might be a good idea to call your new vet and discuss the possibility of lowering the dose.
    Thank you for your post! It honestly gave me more info than my vet has given me! I appreciate the supportive reply!