Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My dog Rocco has Cushings

Default My dog Rocco has Cushings

My puggle Rocco just turned 11. He has always been food driven but when his liver count came back slightly high the vet started Cushing testing and it took 4 tests before he came back positive as Cushinoid. He was still very active, and very restless at night and panting slightly. Literally overnight about a week after he was diagnosed he had a hard time finishing his walks and couldn't jump up on the couch. After doing some reading I started him on Adrenal Harmony Gold and am transitioning him to a raw diet. It's only been abut two weeks and he is a bit better so waiting to see how it goes before I think of other drugs. Need to learn more and looking forward to learning more. Like everyone here, we love him so much and he has a younger brother Lucchi who only knows life with him. I am hoping we can prolong a good quality of life for a few more years. Thanks for listening.

Default Re: My dog Rocco has Cushings

Welcome to you and Rocco, though I'm sorry for the reasons you've joined us. Do you happen to have a copy of the tests that were done to diagnose Cushing's?

We can help you navigate the road ahead, and provide lots of information for you to learn everything you might want to (and more!!). Check out the helpful resources section of the forum.

Shana
    Mama to Jackson and Kira, and my darling Cushing's angel, Visuddha

Quote Originally Posted by DoxieMama View Post
    Welcome to you and Rocco, though I'm sorry for the reasons you've joined us. Do you happen to have a copy of the tests that were done to diagnose Cushing's?

We can help you navigate the road ahead, and provide lots of information for you to learn everything you might want to (and more!!). Check out the helpful resources section of the forum.

Shana
    Thank you so much. This site is amazing. I am going to contact the vet on Monday to obtain the results so that I can share them.

The two main drugs to bring down cortisol is vetroyl and lysodren. Both work well to lower cortisol, although you have to follow protocols for testing and cortisol levels to make sure you get it right. Unfortunately we don't have anything to show that the adrenal harmony can actually lower cortisol, although some have reported symtom reduction for awhile.

We'll be really interested in seeing what his cushing test results are and his other blood work. Anything high or low, you mentioned a bit of elevation in liver enzymes.

Welcome to the forum!
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Maryland but currently staying in Indiana

I hope that Rocco is feeling better. Regardless, I would urge you to heed Sharleen's comments. Vetoryl and Lysodren are the only evidence based treatments that help the vast majority of dogs. Look forward to learning more and best to you both.
    Carole
    Skippy's Mom

Default Rocco's Test Results

Hi: I don't think my post got submitted correctly as I haven't seen in posted and please excuse me if I have posted twice. I have Rocco's test results and need direction on what and when he should have other testing and if he needs medication. When we got the results he hadn't shown many symptoms but then did all of a sudden and they have been helped with a raw diet and Adrenal Gold Harmony, but I have been warned that is only good for a few months. Looks like he hasn't had the ACTH test everyone talks about. He did have 4 tests though it seems. this is so confusing.
    Urine Creatinine 58.6
    Urine cortisol 7.1
    Urine cortisol/Creatinine ratio 38
    Says Hyperadrenocorticism is possible but recommended ACTH test to be sure, but it wasn’t issued perhaps because Rocco at the time didn’t have symptoms. Wonder when and if I should ask for it?
    Also
    Post 4 hr Dex 1.8 ug/dl
    Post 8 hr. DEX 9.5
    This test was done before the Cortisol/Creatinine test
    Thank you for any input. Pam
    Last edited by Roccohascushing; 10-15-2017 at 11:38 AM.

Default Re: Rocco's Test Results

Hi Pam, and welcome to you and Rocco. Members more knowledgeable than I am will be along to help you interpret these test results and will have tons of questions. If there was any other blood work done they will want to see the results, highs and lows only with the reference ranges.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Hi Pam,

I merged your two threads. You can always use the "search" feature looking for either your user name or Rocco's name to find this thread. Bear in mind there may be more than one Rocco on the board but should be only one member by your user name.

Post 4 hr Dex 1.8 ug/dl
    Post 8 hr. DEX 9.5
    These results look like most of an LDDS. We usually see 3 results with this test. Do you see another number with these? A baseline maybe?

Do you have the reference, or normal, ranges for these -
    Urine Creatinine 58.6
    Urine cortisol 7.1
    Urine cortisol/Creatinine ratio 38
    Thanks!
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Oh yes, it does look like the LDDS is consistent with cushings. In that at the 8 hour mark he wasn't suppressing cortisol production.

So, yes based on that I would start treatment with either vetroyl or lsyodren, depending on what your vet is most comfortable and familiar with.

If vetroyl, you should start at 1mg/1lb to be sure to start in a safe range.
    Then test at a couple weeks and one month to see how he is reacting.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Quote Originally Posted by molly muffin View Post
    Oh yes, it does look like the LDDS is consistent with cushings. In that at the 8 hour mark he wasn't suppressing cortisol production.

So, yes based on that I would start treatment with either vetroyl or lsyodren, depending on what your vet is most comfortable and familiar with.

If vetroyl, you should start at 1mg/1lb to be sure to start in a safe range.
    Then test at a couple weeks and one month to see how he is reacting.
    Thank you so much for your input. It is invaluable and I really appreciate it. I know if the dog isn't showing that much sign of Cushing then it is recommended to hold off treatment until signs get worse, but really what is the ideal time to start the treatment. Are there side effects? He seems to be doing okay though is food driven, pants a little, but has no accidents in the house. He does get restless at night but doesn't ask to go out til the morning. I am wondering how bad I should let the symptoms get before I start him on treatment or is it common just to consider the treatment after he got diagnosed? Thank you for any input.