Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducting My Dude

Default Introducting My Dude

Hello,

I am very new to cushings and am trying to stay in the loop and find out more.

My dog dude is a 8 year old beagle, We moved In march to a sublease townhouse and started to have an issue with dude peeing in the house. We figured it was him "marking" (which he has never done before) as there was a puppy previously in this house. After a few weeks, I figured there had to be an issue or maybe he was just getting old.

The vet checked his bloodwork, urine and even his hormones and nothing showed. She even mentioned cushings but said nothing really pointed to it being that.

Fast forward to the ending of April and dude was still urinating so we took him back in and the vet said his heavy and odd stomach could indeed be cushings. He was tested the next day via low dose dexamethasone. He was then started on 35Mg of Trilostane.

He had a acth test on tuesday and is continuing on 30Mg of trilostane even though he is still urinating.

Default introducing Dude 8 yr beagle

hello,

we are new to this, Our 8 year old beagle was diagnosed in april as having cushings. He had a low dose dexamethasone test in April and then a ACTH test last tuesday. He is still urinating but it has improved since starting 30Mg of trilostane once daily.

looking forward to advice and similair stories in the future,

Default Re: Introducting My Dude

Hello and welcome. Please post the blood work that led to the diagnosis, highs and lows with the reference ranges so that those who are more knowledgeable than I am can try help you through this.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Hi and welcome to you and Dude!

It would help us if you would get the actual results of the tests used to diagnose the Cushing's as well as the last monitoring ACTH since starting treatment. That will help us help you a great deal.

One thing bothers me - Cushing's is a VERY slowly progressing condition and does not show up from one month to the next. There is a rare form of diabetes called diabetes insipidus that has nothing to do with blood sugar but rather with the way the body processes water. It is not uncommon for this condition to be misdiagnosed as Cushing's. If the drinking and peeing are not slowing it mist be worth talking to his vet about this. Other than the peeing and drinking what other signs or changes did you see in your sweet boy before the Cushing's diagnosis?

I'm glad you found us and am sure others will be along soon to chat with you.
    Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Welcome to you both! As the others have said, copies of the test results for diagnosis, as well as the follow-up ACTH, will be very helpful to support you. Can you get those? Does he have any other symptoms?

Looking forward to learning more about your dude.

Shana
    Mama to Jackson and Kira, and my darling Cushing's angel, Visuddha

Quote Originally Posted by Squirt's Mom View Post
    Hi and welcome to you and Dude!

It would help us if you would get the actual results of the tests used to diagnose the Cushing's as well as the last monitoring ACTH since starting treatment. That will help us help you a great deal.

One thing bothers me - Cushing's is a VERY slowly progressing condition and does not show up from one month to the next. There is a rare form of diabetes called diabetes insipidus that has nothing to do with blood sugar but rather with the way the body processes water. It is not uncommon for this condition to be misdiagnosed as Cushing's. If the drinking and peeing are not slowing it mist be worth talking to his vet about this. Other than the peeing and drinking what other signs or changes did you see in your sweet boy before the Cushing's diagnosis?

I'm glad you found us and am sure others will be along soon to chat with you.
    Hugs,
    Leslie
    Hi leslie, We changed vets right after his diagnosis and our current vet looked into that as he said his levels weren't bad. Ill post his results in a moment.
    He has rapidly gained weight but i didnt notice any other symptoms so I was leery to believe it was indeed cushings.

Dudes Labwork.

June 13.

cortisol -baseline 167 nmol/L HIGH (28-120 nmol/L)
    cortisol 4 hr <27.6 nmol/L
    cortisol 8 hr postdex 75 nmol/L HIGH - >41nmol/L (consistant with pituitary-dependent)

08/20
    Total protein 82 g/L HIGH (50-74g/L)
    Albumin 47 g/L HIGH
    AST(SGOT) 114 U/L HIGH (15-66 U/L)

glucose 1.4 mmol/L LOW (3.9-7.7mmol/L)
    mag nesium 1.4 mmol/L HIGH (0.7-1.3 mmol/L)
    potassium 6.2 mmol/L HIGH (3.6-5.5 mmol/L)
    sodium/potassium ratio 24 LOW (27-38 ratio)
    Precision PSL 157 U/L HIGH (24-140 U/L)
    CPK 1139 U/L HIGH (59-895 U/L)

Platelet count 532 /L HIGH (170-400 10/L
    platelet estimate increased
    Neutrophilis 12.07 L HIGH (2.06-10.60 10/L)

09/12
    cortisol sample 1 ACTH 106 nmol/L
    cortisol sample 2 ACTH 129 nmol/L

Dude is 40 Pounds,he is on brand name vetoryl and yes daily with meal.
    Last edited by Momofdude; 11-09-2017 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Fixing lab test to only include out of range items

Hi and welcome to you and Dude from me as well!

I apologize as I have only a moment to post but I wanted to greet you and let you know that I've now manually approved your membership so now all your posts will be seen right away and don't worry about the validation email that was sent to you from k9cushings.

Thank you for posting those blood work results, but could you edit your post and include the reference ranges to the values you posted? I'm sorry to be asking you to do this but reference ranges can differ between labs. Also, how much does Dude weigh? Is he taking brand-name Vetoryl and is this being given with a meall?

Please know that we will help in any way we can and do not hesitate to ask all the questions that you want.

Hugs, Lori

Default Question about ACTH Timeline

Dude was diagnosed on June 12th via ACTH stim test and was put on TRILOSTANE 35MG GEL CAPS from the ending of june until we switched vets In August who switched him to Vetoryl 30 MG.

Dude is still having some occasional accidents (we discussed uping his dose a bit if it continued) however His levels via ACTH are within normal range.

Anyways my question is can someone give me the run down on your testing . My new vet called last week to tell me dudes medication refill was in and that dude would need to come in monthly for the next 2 months for the ACTH test per medication protocol.

This test cost me $650 on sept 12th. So that would be the cost again for october and november.

Is this normal??
    Last edited by Momofdude; 09-30-2017 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Title was confusing.

MODERATOR NOTE:
    I have merged your post about "testing timeline" into Dude's original thread. We like to keep all info about each dog in one thread so it is easier to look back thru the history if needed. Thanks!
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.