Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My buddy Jackson

Default Re: My buddy Jackson

Jackson is registered for basic obedience later this spring. He knows most of the commands already, but needs to pass the class so we can take more!

I emailed with two of their trainers about Jackson and got some more tricks to help him with his leash reactivity. The last couple of days have been good. No, great. He is catching on and starting to relax more around other dogs on out walks. Cheese is a big hit.

He did so well training this morning he got to play at the dog park with two or three others for an hour or so. Naptime now... For me, too.
    Mama to Jackson and Kira, and my darling Cushing's angel, Visuddha

How exciting for you and Jackson! I will definitely do that with my next dog too. I think the socialization and training help them and us a great deal.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Yesterday was the best day ever!!!

I took Jackson for a little longer walk in the morning (typical for the weekend). About halfway through the walk, we saw a cat lounging across the road next to a vehicle. I started giving him treats for walking nicely next to me, which he does when there are no distractions but struggles when other animals are nearby. Treats every few steps (not quite "pez dispenser" fast but close ), keeping the same pace, he looked at the cat twice but always turned back to see if there was another treat. He didn't stop. He didn't stare. He didn't lunge. He didn't bark. He glanced and continued on as if the cat wasn't even there. A HUGE WIN!

We walked a few blocks then turned the corner and crossed the street. A short time later, there was a rottweiler across the street, behind a short chain link fence who barked at us, raced down the fence and back, barked again, ad nauseam. The street was between us and I was between Jackson and this other dog. Jackson, in typical fashion, headed across the street as far as his leash would allow. He stopped. He stared. I said "Yes!" as a marker... and he turned around, away from the dog! I almost forgot to give him the treat I was so stunned. Not only that, he started walking with me - another treat. He looked again, thought about it... "Yes!"... and on we went. We got just past that dog's fence (again, across the street) and I asked Jackson to sit. He did. JACKPOT!!

As we got near our home there is a boxer who acts aggressively to anyone he can see through the 'window' in their wooden fence. (They seriously have a window that he can stand and look through - no glass but divided into four sections with metal posts.) This boxer barks and snarls and jumps against the fence with his front paws as we pass. We have been startled up close once or twice, so now we stay across the street in case he is out. Of course, he was out yesterday. As we approached the yard, I saw another heeler with his owner, jogging towards us. They were about a block away when we crossed the street to keep distance from the boxer (and be on opposite sides from the heeler). I gave Jackson a couple treats as we passed the boxer and sped up a little, hoping to get to the intersection before the heeler got too close. We did, just barely. I usually walk a little ways down the street to put distance between us and any other dogs, as immediately across the street is too close for Jackson. We didn't have time to do that yesterday, so Jackson was maybe 4-5' from the curb. He saw the heeler but then looked at me without my even asking!!! Treat, good boy, treat. Jackson, sit. He did! He got right back up again but he did it.

WHO IS THIS DOG?!?!!

In the afternoon, we went to our 4th and last basic obedience class.

The first class was owners only, followed by three 90 minute classes once per week with the dogs. There were 7 dogs total, though only 6 showed up for the second and third weeks (not the same 6 each time). Jackson was, of course, the oldest. The next oldest was a 4 year old lhasa apso former show dog named Jasmine. Everyone else was between 6 and 18 months old... and most of them were what the trainer called "party dogs". We had lots and lots of portable gates set up with blankets over them to keep eye contact to a minimum.

As I had previously spoken with two other trainers at this school, they suggested to have our trainer set us up in a corner with portable gates all around. This is because Jackson has been reactive on leash, lunging and barking like a maniac. We wanted to "set him up for success" and not stress him too much. We arrived early, got situated so he could not see any of the dogs for his first class (week 2). He could smell and hear them, but not see them. That went really well.

For the next class, we had the same setup, though I moved the blanket between us and Jasmine just a little so he could see her. He tried to get closer, jumped onto the gate and almost knocked it over so... the blanket went back up. Mostly. At the end of the class, I moved that gate out of the way so we could go to the kitchen and he got to see her and a couple of the other dogs for a little bit. He was calm and did get closer to Jasmine but everyone headed out so we had no introductions.

Jasmine and Jackson were the ONLY dogs for the last class yesterday! We had an open side to our corner so they could see each other when she arrived. They were both curious and we allowed them a quick sniff, which went great. Fifteen minutes into class, when we decided no one else was coming, we moved out of our enclosure to an open area maybe 10 feet from Jasmine and did our exercises there. She went into our enclosure and got lots of good smells of him . They both got to be the "demo dog" and watch the other one working... it was awesome!

Jackson got a nice big biscuit from the trainer for his graduation gift, and I got to choose a treat for me, too.

(As for me, yesterday was "day 2" of my vacation. It started with the fantastic walk with Jackson in the morning. I spent a few hours at home then went clothes shopping, which is not my favorite activity ever. I wanted some shorts and sandals, and needed new lingerie which I abhor shopping for. I found the shorts and sandals, as well as a few other things (no lingerie ), then had a quick lunch at McD -- it's a treat for me because my husband can't stand them. I got a pedicure, took Jackson to class, came home to a burger my son bought for me, then went for a massage the same son had given me for Mother's Day! After that, I did a little more shopping and got everything else I needed. Today? In two hours, we head to the airport to go to Hawaii for 10 days. Ahhhhhhhhhh.)

Oh Shana, I'm so happy for you guys!! You inspire me, because my Luna is really reactive, too, and I've been too lazy to work on it (I just quickly cross the street, as soon as possible! ). I did obedience classes with both Barkis and Peg, but never with Luna and I've always paid the price. But it's never too late, right??

Your weekend sounds wonderful, as does your vacation. Have an absolutely fabulous time, OK? Bon Voyage!!!

Have a great time, Shana!!
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Oh Shana!!! Have a wonderful time in Hawaii!!!!!!!!! Aloha!

So happy to read that Jackson has done so well with his obedience training, he is such a good boy and Congratulations to you both in completing the class...great job!

OMG! Hawaii!!!! Have a fabulous time!!! I just know you will.

What a great way to go too with Jackson having such a successful walk on his own and completing school.

Smiles all over the place. Enjoy! Have a tropical itch for me!!! (make it 2) hahaha
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Hawaii! How wonderful! And I'm excited about a trip to the northern realms of Arkansas, my home state. I would have to be sedated and wheeled onto the plane if Hawaii were in the plans. LOL Enjoy!

Sounds like real progress with Jackson and I am so happy to hear it. I know that lightens your heart a great deal.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Hawaii was wonderful. I still haven't gotten the pictures off our camera but when I do, I'll post a couple here.

As for Jackson, he was ecstatic when we returned. I have never seen him quite so excited. I'll add a picture to his album that I took after we were home about half an hour. He was STILL excited. He followed me all weekend, went up to my parent's (and met her two dogs ) and did not leave my side for 3 days. lol

We started the intermediate obedience class after we returned, so are now halfway through that. There were two other girls signed up but only one of them has come to the classes so far. She is a larger girl, part lab, and just relaxes across the room from us. Jackson stuck his head between the wall and the portable gate during the first class to see her, which brought a chuckle to everyone. I got his attention and he came back to me for the rest of the time. The trainer did not put up the portable gates for the second class and both dogs were just fine. We practically followed her out the door when we left - no issues at all. The trainer used Jackson to demonstrate a couple behaviors - even dropping his leash during one of them. I don't think he noticed, following closely while ignoring the other dog completely. I'm just so happy with how he's doing.

We haven't passed any dogs on the street on our walks lately; the closest have been either behind fences or half a block away. There were two blue heelers that followed us a short distance one morning. Jackson stopped to pee when he noticed them. I had to laugh - he was standing on 3 legs watching them approach. I said "Let's go" and he turned around and came with me. We stopped a few times, auto-sits and treats. He turned to glance at them once or twice but was otherwise unconcerned. We turned the corner, they continued straight and we haven't seen any dogs since.

I have resumed searching for another dog to add to the family. This weekend, we are going for a meet-and-greet. I'm trying not to get my hopes up... which isn't working so well ... but I'll let you all know how it goes, either way.