Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 LastLast

Thread: Skippy has passed; 12 y/o Yorkie with likely pituitary tumor (Trilostane)

Default Re: Skippy, 12 y/o Yorkie with likely pituitary tumor (Trilostane)

I, too, am so glad he is home and who knows....home may be just the medicine he has been needing most of all. Let us know how things are going as you can but spend as much time with your precious boy as you need and want!

Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Maryland but currently staying in Indiana

Kathy, Lori, and Leslie, Thanks for your support. I feel like Skippy is alive day by day right now. IMS called this am, but I missed the call. Tried to call back but only the emergency service is reachable. So I called his local vet and will take him in for labs this pm; I'm afraid to wait until Monday. They didn't give me subQ as the IMS didn't think it would help much. They prescribed Purina EN, gastrointestinal and he is now refusing it altogether, but he will eat a few bites of chicken breast and I managed to get all meds down except the Clavamox so far this morning. I tried heating the food, nope. Leslie, I will try baking it maybe mixed with chicken breast (That they don't want him to have.) Lori, Ursodiol for pancreatitis is new; this IMS went to a conference a couple of weeks ago and learned that it's now being used with dogs successfully. Two weeks in a cage and Skippy now wants to sleep on every soft thing here; he's now asleep on the sofa with my friend. They are most concerned about the pancreas flaring again; do you all know if there is anything else I could put on his food that's reasonably safe to try to get him to eat it? I will research as well. Thanks...

Carole
    Skippy's Mom

I wonder why the chicken breast is a no- no, I thought that was considered a food mainstay with pancreatitis. How about white fish? Tuna in water has a low fat content so maybe this could be used as a food topper. Baby foods could work too as long as no onions or onion powder are in the ingredients.

Is he getting any pain medication? I realize that adding another med to his list sure doesn't sound good but if he is having some discomfort this could dampen the appetite.

Tons of huge loving hugs being sent to you both, Lori

Hi Lori, took Skippy to local vet this afternoon; they did labs (results tomorrow), immediately tried to get Skippy to eat their low fat canned stew. (Nah) and then the vet offered him a low fat treat that he gobbled down. They taught me how to give him sub Q and sent me home with the remainder and directions. They gave him an injection of Cerenia and a few pills of Mirtazapine to try. They tried to pill him with the Clavamox, the so called chew-able. Three techs and the vet tried six times with pill injector, the hand method and low fat treats - finally, finally, he swallowed it. By then he was exhausted from the World Wide Wrestling match. Tonight after cooking bacon for the smell as an inducement and another wrestling match over the Mirtazapine, he finally took the evening meds and ate a little of the low fat food and a few bites of boiled chicken. IMS also called and said he didn't want me to offer Skip anything but the low fat Purina food as he is worried that it will further inflame the pancreas. Skippy is hungry for anything but...IMS doesn't like sub Q as he believes it is hard on the kidneys. (I think there is major disagreement on this topic.) I do wonder about taking him to local vet for daily IV fluids for a bit. Final thing, although it is certainly rare, today the local vet volunteered and the other Purdue IMS last week said the same, the Vetoryl caused this entire system failure/episode. #Givemestrength. I know it will all be better tomorrow...

Carole
    Skippy's Mom

That is very interesting indeed. Did they say it was because it was dosed post radiation (due to the macro)? Or, possibly because it was given when Skippy was already in a weakened state. I just wondered if they said any more?

Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by Carole Alexander View Post
    Final thing, although it is certainly rare, today the local vet volunteered and the other Purdue IMS last week said the same, the Vetoryl caused this entire system failure/episode.
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

With Sampson, his sub-q's had to be stored in the frig and then heated up, I used a heating pad for this, before I gave them to him. Oh Carole, I so wish I could reach through my computer screen and give you a huge hug.

Kathy, they didn't say. I had the impression that they were talking about the period subsequent to radiation but I will probably never be sure...
    Skippy's Mom

It's been a hellish week for Skippy and me; he stopped eating upon discharge last Wednesday from Purdue; he ate nothing until Monday. His labs on Friday had doubled, sky high for Creatitine and BUN/Phos. He has acute/chronic pancreatitis and has an infection, maybe urinary tract. Purdue and local vet walked away over holiday leaving me with meds and SubQ fluids. Purdue has jumped back in saying PTS; even if I can heal pancreas and UTI, Cushing's will kill his kidneys. IMS tonight thinks that If I don't stop the meds and he doesn't eat, he will starve to death. If I do stop the meds likely no healing of pancreas and UTI driving the kidney failure. I've stopped the meds to try to slow the nausea and am now trying anything, along with fluids, to try to get him to eat. Tonight he ate a small portion of chicken drumstick and rice. (I'm well beyond low, low fat only as I cooked him turkey breast this morning that he sniffed and walked away.) Oh, and they think Lysodren will kill him and he can't tolerate Vetoryl. I am pulling day and night shifts watching him so I'm not totally rational. No need to write kind comments as I knew this was inevitable. Just didn't know that it would go this way. I will post more when I can or I've decided what to do next.
    Skippy's Mom

I sure do sympathize with you on the struggle in getting them to eat. Slippery elm bark is one herb that you can mix with water and administer either with a syringe or eye dropper. Here's an excerpt about slippery elm bark:
    Slippery Elm is said to relieve inflammation of virtually any mucus membrane, and has been used in the treatment of inflammatory conditions of the lungs (bronchitis, asthma), kidneys, bladder (cystitis, FLUTD symptoms), throat (tonsillitis), and joints (arthritis).

Slippery Elm contains many nutrients (carbohydrates, protein, fat, ascorbic acid, beta-carotene, calcium, and several trace minerals) that can be beneficial for recuperating pets, and it may stay down when other foods are not tolerated. It is known as a “survival” food; George Washington and his troops survived for days during the bitter winter at Valley Forge eating nothing but gruel made from Slippery Elm bark. However, Slippery Elm may interfere with the absorption of certain minerals and pharmaceuticals, so is best given separately from any concurrent drug therapy.
    I'm including the link to the article where that quote came from: http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/slippery-elm/

(((Sending hugs)))

I wish so much that we could physically be there with you right now. Be kind to yourself, and give your little one a scratch behind the ears from me.
    Mama to Jackson and Kira, and my darling Cushing's angel, Visuddha