Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Skippy, 12 y/o Yorkie with likely pituitary tumor (Trilostane)

Default Re: Skippy, 12 y/o Yorkie with likely pituitary tumor (Trilostane)

I hope he is better today. I hope that he can beat this. You have both been through so much and I know that you are both sooo tired. It is just so overwhelming sometimes.

Whatever happens, you know we are right here with you and if we could be there at the hospital for each visit and decision, we would be.

HUGS
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Maryland but currently staying in Indiana

Hello and thanks so much for your supportive comments. I so appreciate your kindness. Here is the update: They cultured his urine and began Amoxicillin on Saturday. No response. They have him on three times normal dose of maintenance fluids and have managed to get his Creatinine down to 1.7. His BUN is steadily rising, e.g., it was 90 on Saturday and today it is 139. Purdue says that their nephrologist is Dr. Adams who says there is nothing more they can do. They can’t send him home because of the high fluid requirements; antibiotics don’t work and his BUN is rising. I brought him home for a couple of hours today; he is weak and is the walking wounded but he ate greedily. (He won’t eat much there.) They will do another ultrasound tomorrow to look for clots or anything they missed but are essentially waiting for me to pull the trigger and put him down.
    I sent an email to local vet to ask whether it would be worth trying to put in a port, keep him on the IV and bring him home? Keep him on the antibiotics and see if they would work to cure the infection? I know this is a pretty out there idea, but if the antibiotics need more time to work and he needs to be out of the hospital, it seems feasible – maybe.

Plan B is I will take him out of Purdue Wednesday, if he lives that long, and have him put down at the local vet because that is her first availability. Life sucks!
    Skippy's Mom

It sure does suck, Carole...the poor little guy has been through so much.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Doree, Gable, Cooper, Angel Phoenix and now Sibble.

Poor little guy. I wish I had the right words for you, Carole. I wish I had ideas or even better, answers.

Hugs.
    Mama to Jackson and Kira, and my darling Cushing's angel, Visuddha

I have nothing to offer but empathy and ((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))))) )....and a belly rub for precious Skippy.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." Anne, a Corgi mom

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Awww Carole, Im so very sorry the options seem so grim. At this point, if youd prefer to have him home with you, Id endorse trying to make that happen, either with or without the IV. If his system cant be cleared adequately with the fluids, Id expect that hed become increasingly lethargic as his kidneys shut down. But hed be at home, probably peaceful, and youd be with him. It is such a hard decision to make, though, and no matter what you decide, we are here with you.

Sending my thoughts of strength and comfort to both you and your brave little boy.
    Marianne

Just spoke with the IMS again and they are going to aspirate one of his kidneys, if the kidneys have changed in any way, to look for renal lymphoma this afternoon. I didn't ask about bringing him home with an IV port. They likely think I'm insane already. The IMS did say that with enough fluids over months that his kidneys could heal but he's still not sure what I would be looking at. They cannot figure out why he has gone into acute kidney failure so suddenly. They don't think the infection and antibiotic not working are the problem. They pumped up the fluids yesterday after I brought him back; he fought them about going back into the cage. I am going to take him out again this afternoon after the ultrasound. It only occurred to me while talking with IMS that I should offer to donate his body if they could learn from what's happening to Skippy. Marianne, thanks for the idea about bringing him home to die. I will explore that further. BTW, the Dandie Dinmont terrier with whom Skippy lives, is highly suspicious of Cushing's; she's my friends beloved dog. She hasn't been tested yet but I'm going to secure a copy of her CBC from a few weeks ago. When it rains...
    Skippy's Mom

I am so hoping that a “fixable” explanation can be found, and I will keep checking back for news. If the options are exhausted, though, and you want to bring him home, you may want to explore the possibility of a vet who performs home euthanasia. In that way, you will be equipped to speedily ease his release at any time if he appears too uncomfortable.

If there can be such a thing as a “good death,” though, life ending through kidney failure is often described in that way. Of course, none of us can know what someone else experiences at the end, but here’s what has been written about humans who consciously decide not to prolong their own lives through dialysis.

Patients who choose to stop or not start dialysis are not required to eat or take in fluids. In most cases, a patient is allowed to eat or drink if they want to, but forcing fluids or nutrition is not recommended.

Medicines can be given for pain, anxiety, agitation or congestion. However, other medicines are often stopped when a person decides to quit dialysis treatments, since treating the chronic medical conditions is no longer a priority.

As the body’s systems shut down, a person slips into unconsciousness and the heart stops beating.

Most people who pass away from kidney failure have what family members and caregivers describe as a “good death.” A study reported that patients who discontinued dialysis described a good death as pain-free, peaceful and brief. The patients’ families echoed this sentiment, adding a good death included having loved ones present at the end.
    Once again, this may not be a path that you will need, or wish, to take. But I did want to speak about it in the event that you might want to consider it. You two have been such partners all along this journey, and my greatest hope is that you can peacefully share every moment that remains.

Thanks Marianne, this is helpful and I will consider it.
    Skippy's Mom

Oh Carole,

Sending huge loving hugs, wish I could do more for you and Skippy.