Page 18 of 46 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: My big boy Gable - sweet Gabe is now at peace

Default Re: My big boy Gable

That's interesting because my dog is severely allergic to mites. She is also highly allergic to many other things. When she starts chewing licking excessively, I start mite treatment right away, even when I am not sure she has them. That has resolved her scratching and chewing Obsession MANY times. Her hair grows back and all the redness clears up. I hope you are able to get a handle on those fleas, so all of your babies will feel more comfortable. Remember, if one has them, they all do, so they all need to be treated. Good luck!
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

UGH! I haven't seen them on anyone else. Sibbie is getting groomed on Tuesday, so Monica will let me know. We never put it on the little girls. Put Zodiac on Lena once and she had such a bad reaction to it. She was jumping out of skin for days!
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Fleas, those pesky buggers! Suds does kill those fleas so bathing the other furbabies should take care of it but you'll need to bath them again in a week in case of eggs hatching.

Got it! Thanks, Lori!
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Mix a little Dawn dishwashing liquid into your usual dog shampoo. It is safe and effective in killing mites and fleas. Use only the blue original formula. The newer Platinum formula is much more concentrated with additional ingredients. Leave on for 3 to 5 minutes before rinsing. There is no need for a special flea shampoo. They contain chemicals, which I don't like to use on my allergy baby. I use this mix as insurance all of the time, whether critters are present or not.

I am with Lori. You do need to bathe ALL of them, even if fleas aren't visable. It's hard enough to get rid of them when you do everything you possibly can.
    Last edited by Budsters Mom; 08-06-2018 at 03:53 PM.
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

Thanks all!

On another note. In doing the pre-pill test, if I'm dosing twice a day, 30mg in the am and 10 in the pm, what do I do? Just skip the 10 the night before? Or give him the full 40 the morning before?

Joan, my understanding is that you’d keep your normal dosing schedule in place — give Gabie his 10 mg. capsule the evening before the test, as usual. You are wanting to measure the effect that his regular dosing schedule is having on his overall cortisol production at a specific point in time. For dogs being dosed twice daily, monitoring ACTH tests have always been performed after a dog has been dosed as usual, and I assume the same is true with this resting cortisol regimen, as well. Dechra’s flowchart instructions are simply to “Book an appointment just before the next Vetoryl dose is due,” and I believe this is meant to accommodate dogs who are dosed either once or twice daily. In a case like yours where the doses are not equal, however, I’d test before the larger morning dose.

Okay, thanks Marianne. That sounds logical.

He's got all these sores from licking and biting where the fleas were. I can't believe I thought he was just cleaning himself. I am going to give him a bath on Thursday since I'll be off, and hope that helps. I gave him the flea meds on Sunday, so they should be dying off by now. Sibbie is getting groomed now and the groomer usually uses a flea shampoo. The only one vulnerable right now is Doree, but with her murmur worse, I don't want to give her the flea meds.

Poor Gabe...he must've been so uncomfortable.

Is it okay to use the lavender one? Despite my explicit instructions on my shopping list, my husband bought that one. I will try to give him credit, thinking lavender will deter ticks and fleas, but I doubt he thought that much.

I’ll hoping Kathy will weigh in, but no, sadly I don’t think the lavender version will work. I think this is what you want:

https://www.pgshop.com/Dawn-Simply-C...000236856.html

I buy this for cleaning my eyeglasses because it doesn’t mess up the protective coatings or gunk up the lenses. I can’t find it in grocery stores anymore, but I bought mine at Wal-Mart, and I think places like Home Depot or Lowe’s might carry it, too.