Page 19 of 46 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: My big boy Gable - sweet Gabe is now at peace

Default Re: My big boy Gable

I hate him!
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Actually Marianne is right, however, the blue Dawn Ultra is more readily available. It is completely safe also. That's what I use. Stay away from the Platinum version. Too many scary ingredients listed on their web-site. No sadly, I wouldn't use the Lavender version. Save it for the dishes. Your hubby meant well, but I wouldn't personally chance it.

I have never been able to use any type of flea/mite meds on my allergy dogs. I have had to rely on dilligence and safer methods. My little Buddy lived with itches most of his life. There was always something triggering them. He was highly allergic also. One of our members suggested frequent baths with Johnson's Baby Shampoo. It worked wonders, when nothing else had. A veterinary dematologist, that was a friend of Buddy's Neuro-Surgeon said that baby shampoo was very pure with extremely limited ingredients, making it better for allergy dogs than dog shampoo. I now use Johnson's Baby Bath, with the same basic ingredients, except I tweak it a little. That's where the Dawn dishwashing liquid comes to play. I mix several big squirts of it into a large bottle of the Baby Bath. I have been using this mix for many years with no adverse reaction for my allergy babies. I do not use generic baby shampoo/bath. It is probably fine, but I haven't wanted to vere away from what has worked for so long.

So, whatever shampoo your dogs do well on is fine. I would just add some blue Dawn (Simply Basic or Ultra). Remember, stay away from the Platinum version. It is a much darker blue color.

I hope this helps!! Hubby meant well. Give him some brownie points for trying!
    Last edited by Budsters Mom; 08-07-2018 at 09:17 PM.
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

I've used the Johnson's before with them. I'll use that with the blue Dawn. Thanks, Kathi!
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Wash their faces with the baby shampoo/bath only. It is tear free. I don't use the Dawn mix on faces, around eyes. Just an extra precaution.
    Last edited by Budsters Mom; 08-07-2018 at 10:07 PM.
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

Well the baths didn't go as well as I wanted. I bought a kids pool, but Gable wouldn't go in and I couldn't lift him into it. I put the leash on, but he would rather strangle than get in it. I had a pot of sudsy water so I just washed him on the deck and then sprayed him down with the hose. Cooper was easier. I was soaked through with sweat and soapy water by the time we were done!

So we went to the vet yesterday. I took Gable with me to Doree's visit so that they could look at his sores. The cardiologist doesn't think that her murmur warrants any medication right now. Her heart is not enlarged, the valve is not too thick, and there is minimal leakage, so that is good news....only cost $625!!

Gable's turn. The vet combed him for fleas, no sign of any. He saw all the hot spots and figured that he could've been bit by one, and that put him in an allergic state which is out of control now. So he prescribed Apoquel, 1 tablet twice daily. After one dose, the frantic licking and scratching stopped. He slept through the night last night (he had been getting up for the last few nights around 2 or 3am), and looks so much more comfortable. I just have to keep an eye on them to make sure they don't get infected. $225 for him. A very expensive vet visit! Oh well, such is life with pets....at least we've gotten good news all around.

Care Credit is over the limit...I may have to ask for more

Oh dear, not so good bath-time but you managed, so job well done!!! That's wonderful the Apoquel has helped Gable, what a relief for you both! I'm also happy to hear that Doree's heart murmur doesn't require medication, so all in all, good news all around, but expensive When Bear needed his leg amputated I had to request an increase to my credit limit from CareCredit, they were very understanding and approved it right away.

That's good to know. I may ask for an increase anyway as I'll need it for Gable's meds and testing, plus Doree will need another checkup in six months. Thanks, Lori~

I can't believe that next week Gable will have been on the Vetoryl for three months already! His hot spots have cleared up and his fur looks great. I think he's only got a couple of more of the Apoquel. He's sleeping so much better, although the other night I don't know what he was dreaming about, but he howled like a wolf and woke us all up around 2:30 or 3:00. I have never heard him do that! He's losing weight, I think he was 67.4 the last time, and looks fantastic; no more big belly where I was sure something was growing. He's playing again; jumping up on the furniture; and just seems so much better. I had forgotten how much fun he used to be!

It is so opposite how things went with Lena. I wish I had done better with her, or just not done anything at all and let her live out her last days without all of this. Gable still gobbles up whatever I put the pill in; she started getting very suspicious of whatever I tried to hide it in...almost like she knew, and didn't want it. Obviously, I am having some Lena days...2 1/2 years on Sunday.

Man, almost 3 months that Gable has been on Vetoryl, time sure does fly by! And I am happy to hear that he is doing so well!!! I bet the wolf howling got your attention! Would love to know what they are dreaming about, ain't!!

I am sorry that you're having Lena days, it is so hard not to beat yourself up, trust me I know. We just have to find some comfort in knowing that we loved them deeply and still do, and that we did try our best, that's all we can do, try our very best, and we did that. Sending you tons of comforting and loving hugs.

Thinking of you especially today, Joan, and remembering your sweet angel Lena right alongside you. I’m thrilled that Gable is doing so good! And I surely wish with all my heart that Lena could have been saved, as well. I honestly don’t think that anything you did with Lena was wrong; I honestly think it was her heart that took her, and not the Cushing’s per se. So you were trying your best to treat the Cushing’s with her, just like now with Gable. I know that writing this doesn’t change how you feel. Nothing that anybody says changes how much I wish things had been different with my Barkis. But we did the best we knew how to do for them. If love could have saved them, they’d both be with us right now, that is for certain. We’ll love them forever. So I’m sending you big hugs today. Big hugs of celebration for Gable, and big hugs of comfort for your loss of Lena. And you know, Lena really gets a lot of credit for saving her brother, because the things she taught you have helped you to help him. Her own tired little body could not live on, but she gifted her brother with a much brighter future. What a special angel, indeed...