Page 13 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: My big boy Gable - sweet Gabe is now at peace

Default Re: My big boy Gable

This is just for me to keep track of: Gable was 77.1 lbs on June 8.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Those are great ACTH stim results!!!! GREAT job, Joan!!!!!

Thanks to you, Lori!
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Joan, I haven't been commenting but have been following along for a bit. Worrying that Gabe may have Cushing's, testing, starting treatment, and now today when he is doing SO well ... what a ride it has been! My hat is off to you, dear lady. Your experiences with Lee, and all the knowledge you gained then and since, are paying off for you and your sweet boy now. Way to go!!
    Mama to Jackson and Kira, and my darling Cushing's angel, Visuddha

Thanks, Shana...I miss seeing your comments on the forum, but totally get it.

He is doing really good so far. Still pants a lot, but he is a big boy and the weather is pretty hot some days. His drinking has definitely slowed down. He is sleeping through the night and not getting up to drink every few hours, and even though he will still kill for people food, he's not gobbling up all the kibble. I was buying a bag of dog food every week, but now it's every other week. He started playing again, too. Him and Cooper have their old wrestling matches and Gabe will pick a toy out of one of the bins and get a tug of war going...of course after a few minutes of that he's exhausted! He just seems happier.

I wish I had known more with Lee.

Next week will be the 30 day test. It will be interesting to see what the numbers are.

I hope that you and Jackson and Kira are all doing well. Would love to see some pics!

Gable, Cooper and Sibbie love those frozen green beans you are always talking about. Would they be able to eat them unfrozen, too? He's also decided he likes carrots! Our local farm is opening up for the season this Saturday and I was wondering what other veggies they all could have. He also tasted beets a few days ago and liked them.

Right off hand I can't think of any veggies to avoid other than onion, garlic, leeks, etc. If they like something let them have a little of it til you see how they do with it - ie any digestive upsets, bad breath, etc. Some veggies are tricky, ya know....like pumpkins; a little will help form up stools but too much will cause constipation OR diarrhea. Learn about the veggies you try like the beets so you know the nutrients they supply - ie beets are naturally high in sugars so that would be a factor in determining how much to let them have. Just remember - dogs are carnivores, not omnivores so they need to have meat as their primary source of energy. We humans can survive on meatless diets and most do well but that is not the case with dogs. Unless there is a valid reason, all dogs need a solid meat diet with veggies and fruits a small addition. Fresh veggies go over BIG time in my house! Bud has loved everything I've given him! When he see a banana he goes bonkers!
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Thanks, Leslie. He has his kibble, but he likes to sit at my feet while I am preparing veggies for our dinner, that's why I wanted to check to see which ones are okay. And if he has something, the rest of them want it too. They all love bananas, except for Doree. She just looks at them like they're crazy!

Gable is going for his 30 ACTH test tomorrow. I hate to say this, but we've noticed an increase in his drinking for the last couple of days. At first I thought it was my imagination, but no, I'm filling the water bowls frequently again. Will be interesting to see what the numbers are.

With the increased drinking Gabe's dosage may need a tweak but an UTI could be brewing which would cause a dog to drink more. Since cushdogs are prone to those UTI's, I believe I'd take an urine sample along to rule out any issues.