Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sibbie

Default Sibbie

Hi all,

A question: Sibbie, our toy poodle, is 8 months old and up until this past week or so, acted very friendly with anyone who came up to her or tried to pet her. All of a sudden she is barking at some people and backs away from others when they try to pet her. No one has hurt her, so I don't know why this behavior has started.

My husband won't be able to take her to work if she keeps doing it and I can't stay home and take care of her...and she is still too young to spend all day home with the other dogs.

Do puppies go through a shy stage like toddlers do? And how do we stop it?

Thanks!
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Default Re: Sibbie

Joan, hi.

According to this article, yes, puppies do go through a stage where they lose some of their confidence and become more shy.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/ar...articleid=1449

The article suggests spending lots of time with the puppy, play dates, and puppy classes. Maybe someone else will have ideas too?

Quote Originally Posted by Joan2517 View Post

Do puppies go through a shy stage like toddlers do? And how do we stop it?
    Allison and Angel Gizmo

Thank you, Allison...I will check it out.

A very good article, thank you. She has always been eager to go places and greet people and it just seemed strange that she all of a sudden started acting fearful. We take her everywhere we can with us. I may look into the obedience classes at PetSmart. Our other dogs are not very good at listening, so maybe I can get one of them to behave.
    Last edited by Joan2517; 09-02-2016 at 09:26 PM. Reason: I just finished the article.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Hi Joan,

Sibbie is doing it by the books Around 8 - 9 months, dogs go through a second fear-stage (and a 3rd around 14 months and a 4th around 18 months)

It's not because she is not well socialized but this stage is caused by hormonal changes, growing up, physical changes It often will end spontaneous after a week or three. Also, she is becoming an adult slowly and that might cause some changes too. As a young pup, she was okay with strangers coming up to her and pet her...as an adult she may need more space. That could also be a reason.

Anyway, what you don't want to do, is to "force" her to do things she is no longer fine with (eventhough she used to before) Also, no need to avoid things but make sure she has space. For example, she was never afraid of the garbage can and now she is. Well, you don't have to avoid the garbage can but don't walk closely past it, create space and place yourself between the garbage can and Sibbie. (or any other object or situation she is fearful of at this moment) If there is a situation you cannot avoid, quickly throw some treats on the ground so hopefully she will start sniffing and eating. (Sniffing is a calming gesture so it will help her relax and distract her from the fearful situation) Also, on the greeting people subject, from today on, you no longer let people (known or unknown) walk up to her and let them pet her. Keep a distance between the person and Sibbie, she is comfortable with, meaning, she won't bark or back off. This behaviour may now be because she is in the fearful-stage but it can become a habit when she has the ability of showing this behaviour again and again. So tell people to stop and not pet her, not even look/stare! at her or talk to her, this all may be threathening to her. Just walk past people with a safe distance an be cheerfull, don't pay atention to the people (showing Sibbie they are not important at all, nothing to be worried about) In a few weeks, this stage should pass, and you just don't want her to learn bad habits in those few weeks

An obedience or (my personal favorit) a "fun class" is something I recommend to everyone that has a new dog (young or old(er) ) Doesn't matter how many dogs you have already had...how many experience you have with dogs, it's just a very good and fun way to build on your relationship with your dog and a better understanding of each other. ( I used to be a proffesional trainer, had several dogs and even I go to training with my dog, currently our 6th course and I have had her for only 2 years) But you want to take a close look at the different schools and the way they train. It has to be fun, reward based, clicker training for example, etc. No choke (or worse, shock) collars allowed, preferably no collars alowed but only harnesses, etc. Positive, fun and with eye for the dogs welfare, that's important, the most important. (like today, my dog got to play "basketball" during her course...so much fun for her and me

Hope this has helped some,

Saskia and Quincy

Thank you, Saskia! This helps loads...I was so worried that my sweet friendly little girl was going to start not liking being around people. We went to the farm yesterday and she seemed more like herself, standing in the front of the basket, greeting everyone as we walked down the aisles.

It also helps to know when to expect it again!

Thanks!

Sibbie is starting to get her confidence back and doesn't seem to be so timid. What I do like is that she is being selective. I was a little worried that she was too friendly, but now she holds back and doesn't just run to anyone anymore. So it looks like we made it through this stage! I do need to set up some obedience training though...she's so darn cute, she gets away with anything!

Thank you Saskia and Allison for your help~

Joan, we need an updated photo of Miss Sibbie!

Marianne

I'll pick one out tonight and put it in...should I just put in in Lena's album? Or start one of her own?

Joan, whichever you prefer will be fine. It's totally up to you! But we'd be very happy to see you start a brand new album for Sibbie if you'd wish. I have a feeling this may just be the start of many sweet pictures to come...

Not to mention questions...it's been 13 years since we had a puppy in the house!