Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Dog got diagnosed with Cushing's - Chuck has passed

Default Re: Dog got diagnosed with Cushing's

Thank you so much for your kind words Marianne! I do believe he is right around 18 or so. Very old! I obviously don’t want anything to happen to him but at this point I am at complete peace (well, as much as you can be) with it. He’s lived such a long and joyous life that I really feel like it’s just nature at this point. Unfortunately none of us can live forever, which has been a hard lesson I’ve learned as I’ve grown older. I skipped his dose for today and he seems normal and better than yesterday (pre carprofen). I’ll give it to him tomorrow just to see if I haven’t been making things up, haha.

He is due for another test in 4 weeks if I keep giving him the medicine. We all know the testing sucks and I feel bad for him but I think the people at the vet are really nice and it’s not too bad. That new test does sound interesting. I wonder if my vet would go for it and how much less it is. I’ll have to talk with him about what’s going on and see what we can do. I guess I’m gonna have a lot of questions for him like maybe would giving it at night help? Would I be allowed to give it every other day? Maybe a half dose? Maybe continue with the carprofen? I dunno.

Either way, you have been so helpful and nice and I always appreciate that! We honestly thought he wouldn’t make it past 15-16 so I’m pretty pleased lol. My father likes to joke that he’s been living these last few years with a free pass haha. Well, have a nice day and thank you again!

Wow, almost 18!! That is an amazing life for a very special little boy.

Here is a link to that new monitoring protocol I was telling you about. I think your vet might seriously consider it for Chuck if you tell him about it in advance. At this stage, anything that makes Chuck more comfortable makes sense to me, even if it involves an unconventional dosing schedule. In terms of safety, the biggest think is to check to make sure that Chuck’s cortisol is not dropping too low. Something is finally going to end things for his aging body, but you’d rather not have it be an uncomfortable crisis with low cortisol. This new protocol should be able to help guard against that happening.

http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/show...=1252#post1252

Please do let us know how things go!
    Marianne

Glad to hear Chuck is ticking along and seems happy! Every day is a blessing....I have a Chi who we think is around 19 so I understand how precious each day can be.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Wow! 19! That’s amazing, good for you! I’m honestly not sure if I can do this much longer lol. Taking care of an old dog is a job in itself! So, sorta update: gave him the vetoryl today and again I feel like he’s sort of in pain. He eats and sleeps and even kind of plays but he’s not as excited or mobile in my opinion. I do believe he wouldn’t jump down from the steps when he normally would so I want to say I think it’s arthritis. That being said, which symptoms should I watch out for so that something serious doesn’t happen? As always, thank you thank you thank you!

Things such as loss of appetite, diarrhea, vomiting, and extreme lethargy can all be signs that cortisol levels are dropping too low or that chemical imbalances are being caused by trilostane overdosing.

Marianne

Quote Originally Posted by labblab View Post
    Things such as loss of appetite, diarrhea, vomiting, and extreme lethargy can all be signs that cortisol levels are dropping too low or that chemical imbalances are being caused by trilostane overdosing.

Marianne
    Hmmm...alright, thanks! I don’t think it’s *extreme* lethargy per se. That sounds like complete lack of energy. He just seems to have less than regular energy. But then all the sudden I’ll notice he’s perfectly fine, so I dunno. Thank you very much!

So he doesn’t feel good today either and I didn’t give him vetoryl. I did give him a carprofen. I’m a bit scared it’s an addisonian crisis. Will this pass or do I have to get him to the vet? He’s eating and drinking and stuff; he just seems so sleepy.

Edit: he seems to be doing much better. I’ll monitor his situation! Thanks!
    Last edited by randomguy; 10-23-2018 at 04:05 PM.

I’m really glad to hear he’s doing better again. Since he is, I doubt that low cortisol is the problem because I wouldn’t think he’d rebound so quickly. I’m thinking he may just be at the point that, overall, he’s slowing down and has good moments and bad moments. But since he’s doing better now after having not had any Vetoryl today, I’d probably still hold off on it again tomorrow and see how he does.

Marianne

Some of what you are seeing might be attributed to the Carprofen - https://www.drugs.com/pro/carprofen.html
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

I wondered about that, too, Leslie. Thanks for checking that out.

Marianne