Thread: Mimi

Default Mimi

My 8 yr old maltese has been on vetoryl for about 6 months. 15 mg twice a day. Also on 13 units vetsulin for diabetes twice a day. She has a concurrent problem with feet sores and biting and licking. She has to wear a cone when I'm not with her. Being treated with antibiotic and for yeast. In the past week I've noticed she's losing her sight. She still gets around good but I'm pretty sure she's seeing very little or none. I think she has a pituitary tumor from the test results which is probably affecting the optic nerve. Just a guess. Does anyone have any experience with loss of sight with Cushings and or Diabetes ? Thanks, Randy It's heartbreaking watching her loosing her sight and hard to stay optimistic

Default Re: Mimi

Hello and welcome to the forum.

First I want to mention we have a sister site for diabetes here:
    k9diabetes.com/forum they are very good with the diabetes issues and we have members who are on both forums.

Is her diabetes controlled and is her cortisol controlled? Does she have high BP? common with these diseases.

Yes I am dealing with my dog losing her sight. It gets less and less all the time and is caused by first retinal bleeds caused by high blood pressure and cataracts. She knows everything in the house and we don't move anything so she runs around like normal, but she doesn't always know where we are even if standing in the same room with her. Her hearing is really everything now and her sniffing. Takes forever to take a walk as she sniffs every little thing.
    She is very skittish when we go outside at night, as it is even worse then and she shies away from everything and every sound or large blob (a tree, a sign).

I think that dogs adapt much better than humans. I'd be freaking if losing my sight. It is key to stay calm and to engage them on other levels. Like I make a sort of clicking noise with my tongue that means come here and she responds very well. I hold a treat bone under her nose and then use it to play with her.

I rattle her pill bottles and she knows its time to take her meds and get that all important piece of whatever the pills are hidden in too.

Those are just some of the things I am trying. It is all a learning curve since this is my first instance of a dog losing sight that is mine.

Welcome to the forum.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Thanks, She hasn't had HBP but could have developed. Sounds like SARDS but I don't know. I'm overwhelmed right now. We just got her cushings and diabetes under control and she was doing good and then suddenly she is losing her sight. I know she can do well but I breaks my heart to think of her not being able to see. Probably bothers me more than her. I am concerned if it's a tumor it could cause other neurological problems. We can live with this but not sure if we can take any worse problems. Very sad and overwhelming

Welcome to the forum! Our dog Gizmo had Cushings, as well as hearing loss and diminishing eyesight. We lost him a year ago to pancreatisis.

I can't tell you much about the Cushings side. When we adopted him, we quickly ended up having to deal with other ailments.

As for the eye problems, Gizmo didn't like areas with low light and sometimes bumped into stuff but otherwise he did fine. He liked his walks and many explorations.

Not sure ones here are aware, but there is a treatment in the works for cataracts. It'll just require putting drops in a dog's eyes. We found out about it because our toy poodle has cataracts. He loves agility and so naturally we'd like to find a fix. Here's a news release about it. A friend of mine who knows the person involved with the treatment said it's expected to be out next January.
    https://consumer.healthday.com/eye-c...nt-701580.html
    Allison and Angel Gizmo