Page 3 of 148 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Jasper (12 yr old Mini Schnauzer) is now at peace

Default Re: Newly diagnosed Cushings (8 y/o Min Schnauzer) Jasper

I went back and read and that is a tad high but it's Ok to try maintenance since Jasper went low so fast - might actually lower a bit ... just keep watching for signs of either cush symptoms returning or diarrhea/vomiting (the opposite). I think I'd have the acth test closer to 4 weeks than 6 weeks just because that way you will know if this approach is working and if it isn't you can go back to loading more quickly.

Without a doubt the loading phase is the hardest part of the journey. Once that happened (Haley took FOREVER as in over 2 months of daily dosing) we were on cruise control for the rest of her life. It was really a breeze. So the disease isn't bad once you can get the symptoms under control with the right dose.

Do keep us posted and keep on asking questions. Kim

Thanks Kim. Yes, I had already decided that I want to re-check the levels at 4 weeks rather than 6 for the reason that you mentioned. I feel like maybe I am getting smarter about all of this with everyone's help!

Tina and Jasper

Hi Everyone,

I just want to check in since it has been a while since I last posted. Jasper seems to be doing ok for the most part with the Lysodren at 250 mg twice a week. It will be 3 weeks on Saturday since the med was restarted. I have noticed in the last few days that he seems to be drinking a bit more than when his cortisol was bottomed out, but it's not like how it was before we started the medication. I have talked to my vet about this since his last ACTH test result was a bit higher than the ideal range. She said she recommends that we continue with the twice a week maintenance dose and repeat the ACTH test at 4 weeks like we originally planned, unless his drinking increases significantly, then we will check it sooner. Right now the plan is to recheck the last week of August. She said that we may need to do the loading dose for a few days again depending on the test results. So we are in a holding pattern at the moment.

I have literally spent hours reading other peoples threads, and their baby's stories. I have shed many tears both out of sadness and joy. I have cried along with many of you when the news has been not so good, and rejoiced with relief when there has been a positive test result, or when a sweet pup turns a corner or rallies and shows improvement.

And I have learned an incredible amount from the responses and advice provided by the administrators, moderators, forum hosts and other amazing people on this site. Thank you Leslie, Kim, Glynda, Debbie, Marianne, Sharlene, Addy, Sonja, and others. While I know you all haven't posted directly to me on my thread, I have been following along on many other threads.

I need to say that I have never seen a more supportive, compassionate, kind, or caring group of people in my life. So many times I have read where advice and support has been given while you yourselves are dealing immediately with your own pup's difficult issues. How unselfish. I hope one day to have enough knowledge and experience to be able to help others going through this and dealing with this terrible illness.

I feel that it was a blessing when I found this site and all of you. Out of utter devastation came hope, and the relief and comfort of knowing that I am not alone.

Many hugs to all of you and your sweet pups,

Tina

Tina, Great to hear from you. Sounds like you have a plan. If you have to do a mini load it won't be the end of the world. I would decrease the dosage though. We'll deal with that should it happen.

Reading others threads is the best way to get up to speed on this complicated disease. Yes it can be hard to read the sad stories but it truly is a remarkable group and we are here thru thick and thin no doubt about it.

Your thanks are appreciated - and I hope you do stick around and help others! We can joke and laugh and get off topic at times too. I came here just like you did - scared to death. I stayed for the same reason you mentioned.... it is a wonderful resource. I just wish I could find a group/forum this wonderful for human health issues!

Keep us posted! Kim

Hi Tina!!! That is really great to hear that jasper is maintaining. Even holding phase can be so calming to the nerves compared to what you go through to even reach that part. Hopefully anything future will only be minor adjustments with no big bumps.

It is reading others people threads and the advice I have received here that has given me so much hope. It truly is an awesome bunch. I check on this forum more than anywhere else on the net these days and that's saying alot!!! LOL

Hugs and belly rubs for Jasper,

Sharlene and Molly Muffin
    Last edited by molly muffin; 08-15-2012 at 11:45 PM. Reason: spelling, as usual
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Hi Kim! Yes, will definitely keep everyone posted. And I think we would be hard pressed to find a group as fine as this for human health issues, that's for sure.

I forgot to mention that Jasper's little sister will be getting spayed in the morning. I am starting to get a little nervous, always worry a bit any time anesthesia is involved. She was originally scheduled for surgery mid July, but rescheduled when all this started going on with my boy.

So if everyone could keep her in their thoughts tomorrow, I would be grateful.

Thanks, and hugs,

Tina

Of course we'll send all kinds of positive thoughts for Jaspers little sister. What is her name? Jaspers family, his sister is family, you are family!

Sharlene
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Hi Sharlene!

Thanks so much for the support and positive thoughts, as always. Her name is Shelby, silly me - I forgot to mention that! She is a Min Schnauzer also, 7 1/2 months. A little hooligan, I might add.

How is little Molly doing? She is just adorable in your avatar photo.

Tina

Good luck to Shelby today. What a cute name.

Molly's doing a-okay. She doesn't have a clue it seems that anything is "off". Thanks we think she is adorable but you know prejudice and all that.

Hugs Sharlene

Thanks for the update on Jasper, and we will definitely be beaming healing thoughts to sweet Shelby tomorrow!

Thanks, also, so very much for your kind words about our forum. It means the world to hear that you have felt welcomed and supported, and it is so kind of you to take the time to speak about your thoughts and experiences. It is true that there can be discouraging times for us all, when pups or their parents have setbacks. And so your positive words are a huge morale boost and are so greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you so much, and definitely keep us updated about Shelby's surgery tomorrow, OK?

Sending many healing hugs your way,
    Marianne