Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Holidays can be hard...

Default Re: Holidays can be hard...

Yikes, Kathy! Gotta agree that your New Year's Eve could have stood some improvement...

And Addy and Joan, some memories bring comfort but some surely do not. I think that's the odd thing about New Year's for me -- there is always such a jumble of memories for me that I keep swinging back-and-forth between smiling and wanting to burst out crying. Totally unsettling in so many ways.

Anyway, here we are and now the new year has begun. Sending more love and fond wishes to all our family, newbies and oldies alike!

Holidays can be particularly stressful times, even under the best of circumstances. I am thankful that they are over.

Hoping that 2017 brings only love and peace into your homes and hearts. Happy new year all!!!!

Awww, Kathy, that is a cruddy thing to happen any time.

I'm hoping we all have a wonderful 2017.

The stars were shining brightly in the sky last night, so I went out and had a chat with molly. Seemed the thing to do.

Well drat on finding that journal at that time Addy, but maybe finding it was about more than sadness and loss. Maybe, just maybe it is about being a good mommy who dedicated every moment of her time and heart to finding a way to take care of beautiful Zoe and make sure that she got those years With you and those moments that were particular to just the two of you because of the bond you shared.

The one constant I have noticed on this forum, not just with cushings, because Peg didn't have cushings, Rosie doesn't have cushings, but we still share that one thing.... when something is going on with our furbabies, we dedicate ourselves to discovering all we can and doing whatever we can to make things better for them. There is no casual browsing of a web site, there is full on, dig down into the nitty gritty research.

I have so often said that we feel the loss of a cush pup so much because the disease, the learning and research and then the doing, is all consuming, but maybe it isn't that, and now I am starting to think it isn't the disease so much, as it could be anything, it is who WE are, their caretakers in this life. We give it all and we go the extra mile, no matter what. Cushings, allergies, kidneys, liver, cancer, joints, arthritis, whatever, doesn't matter, it is us who is different, we give our hearts and souls to those who have already given their lives to our hands.

Somehow we do move on from these heart breaking tragedies and maybe it is just the holidays when we take more time to reflect on the loss that we will always feel, so it makes it more difficult that right there in your face, missing from your presence, emptiness.

Rather glad the holidays are past now too and ready to move on to hopefully sunnier memories.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Sharlene, that was beautifully said! And I do believe you're absolutely right. Absolutely.

What you said was perfect Sharlene. It is who we are, because not all pet parents are as obsessed with solving problems, as we are. Obsessed in a good way, totally in love and dedicated to our little fur babies. We deal with the hands we are dealt as best we can. This is a Cushings site, which is how we found our home here, but we are more than Cushings parents. It is who we are!!! Well said.

So glad you had a nice chat with Molly, Sharlene.

Back to work tomorrow. Did tons of chores over break to catch up, so that's good.

Well, we are now a full week into the new year and another winter holiday season is behind us. On Sunday we took down the ornaments and drove our tree over to be recycled, so the living room is dark again and this holiday cycle truly feels "over" for me now.

I want to thank everybody who posted here this year, and I want to send out a group hug worldwide! And also to remind folks that even though the wreath may be down from the door, our holiday house remains open and available throughout the changing of the seasons. There are many other special days that may feel especially bittersweet to us: Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day especially come to mind. So please feel free, anyone, to stop by again at any time and we'll rejoin you here.

In the meantime, thank you all for helping me through some very rough days myself. And I wish you all peace and comfort during the coming year!

Marianne

Ditto what Marianne said. I don't know what it would have been like if not to have this safe zone to come to during this past holiday season. (i'm glad it's over)
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Same here....
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Doree, Gable, Cooper, Angel Phoenix and now Sibble.

Ahem....drum roll, please!...OK guys, it's time to throw open the doors to our holiday house once again. Drat, we already missed Canadian Thanksgiving, but we've got Halloween coming right up. So here we go.

For any of our newbies, this is a thread where we can come and share our true feelings thru the holidays. Good times, and sad ones too. The holidays can trigger so many memories and so many mixed feelings. And especially when we're missing loved ones, it's good to have a place to come where it's OK to be real. No brave faces, no false smiles. Just real.

Last Halloween was my first without Peg, so I arrived here bright and early at the beginning of October. I REALLY needed a place to talk. I've just now read what I wrote back then, and I'm grateful that the pain is no longer as sharp for me. But I still miss her so very much, and especially at this time of year. My shiny black dog was always at her best at Halloween. So after putting up the decorations today, I just now lit a candle for her on our group page. A shining candle for my shiny black Halloween sweetheart.

So here we are and our house will stay open now, all through the holidays. Whenever anybody wants to stop by, we'll be here!

Marianne

Last halloween was our first without molly too. I get what you mean Marianne, it wasn't the same as when she was here. She hated the doorbell ringing and all the costumes made her bark her head off, but yet she didn't want to miss a one. Halloween felt "quiet" too quiet actually. The nice thing was that it was our grandsons first halloween so that made it better, but I admit I stayed out of the house as much as possible that night.

Expect I'll be popping in and out through the holiday season. I dread Christmas. last year sucked christmas without molly. This year I expect it will still suck and I'm hoping our daughter will have it at her house and then we can leave for somewhere, anywhere warmish, right afterwards. Remember last year they surprised me with the ornament with her picture and I burst into tears? I'm already anticipating the tears when I see it again this year and gently unwrap it to gaze on her precious little face.

ehhh fudge, now I'm all teary. fooey