Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rusty the 13 1/2 Yr Old Cocker crossed the bridge on April 2, 2009

Unhappy Rusty the 13 1/2 Yr Old Cocker crossed the bridge on April 2, 2009

First I want to say a big thank you to all who have responded to my many posts. It's been really hard for me to come back to the site to update. Thanks to Glynda for letting me know where I could post while we wait for the CC site to come back up.

Rusty passed on April 2, two weeks ago. Some of you knew already, but for those of you who didn't know and who gave so much encouragement, I say a big thank you.

I had taken Rusty to an IM for a second opinion on the trilo treatment, as it seems as though his symptoms were those of over-load or perhaps pancreatitis. After standing up "surfing" in the front seat of my sports car for 40 minutes on the way to the IM, he collapsed in the strange (unknown by him) examining room. Tests showed matasticized biliary cancer.

We picked him up from the IM and took him to his regular vet for his transition. When we placed him on the examining table there, a calm came over him. His eyes no longer showed worry. He knew he was in a place he loved (he loved his vet's office - he was there every Friday for grooming, etc.) and with people he knew and trusted. So many of the employees came in to say their goodbyes to Rusty. There were many hugs and tears all around.

If I have learned anything from this experience, it was that I would have had the CT or US done at the time of the original diagnosis or shortly thereafter. I'm not sure the cancer would have been visible, but if it was, then I probably would have handled his lack of appetite & malaise differently. So if anyone has an older dog and wonders about whether to get a scan of the abdominal cavity, I would definitely say yes. Of course, once I found this site and asked the question, you replied that an US should be done. My reasoning for not getting it was simply the cost of the tests leading up to the diagnosis and the cost of the meds to treat the disease. I knew the results of the US would not have changed my mind on treating the Cushing's. We would have kept Rusty with us as long as he had quality of life.

I will be posting a tribute to him at another time. As I've said before, "He was the cocker from hell, but he was OUR cocker from hell and we loved him dearly." He was both a terror and a lover; his personality was HUGE!

Rusty left a big, fuzzy paw print on our hearts; we miss him dearly!

Blessing to you all,

MJ

Default Re: Rusty the 13 1/2 Yr Old Cocker crossed the bridge on April 2, 2009

(((Rusty's Mom)))
    I understand your love for the "Cocker from hell" ... my most memorable and beloved dog was my "crazy" Border Terrier. I'll never forget him or stop loving him just like you. Your story is so sad but Rusty was certainly loved.

MJ, I am so grateful that you have made your way to us here. I have thought about you so often, especially during this past week while the cc.net site has been down. As hard as it was for you to write about it, thank you so much for posting your sad news about Rusty. We know how much you loved him, and will always love him. And we know what a lucky boy he was to spend his life in your care.

Please do remain with us. With luck, we will soon be back online at cc.net. But during the interim, we are all so grateful to have this "home" and refuge here.

Many (((hugs))) in loving memory of your precious boy,
    Marianne

Hi MJ,

I'm so sorry to hear that you had to let Rusty go. I was chuckling at your description of him being "our cocker from hell"... I totally understand. You know how it is with these challenging pups... if it weren't for you, who knows what their life would have been like. They need a special family and you obviously were that gift to Rusty.

Bless you for caring so deeply for Rusty and for doing the last hardest thing for him.

Natalie

Dear MJ,

I was so sorry to hear that you have lost your Rusty. I think he was a very lucky boy to be a part of such a loving family and he sounds like a real character. As a fellow Cocker mom I know how these guys can get under your skin and into your heart.

Bless you for the loving and attentive care you have given him over the years and for having the strength to make that last difficult decision to let him go so gracefully.

{{{hugs}}} from Karen and Joe (Cocker)

Hi MJ

I am so sorry to hear that Rusty has passed. I had wondered how anything was and I glad that you made it to this site update us.

Take care
    Angela and Sabre

MJ,

I am so sorry that your precious Rusty is no longer with you. Your description of his transition brought tears to my eyes.

Peace, sweet Rusty.

Louise

Dear MJ,

Like Marianne, I have thought of you and Rusty often over the last week or so. Many thoughts have been with you even tho we couldn't share the words.

Rusty was such a lucky fellow to be loved by you. You did all you could to help him feel better and have no need for regrets. The ultrasound wouldn't have changed anything, other than to take away the hope you had for him after the cush diagnosis. Hope is such a powerful emotion, sustaining us during the hardest of times and Rusty needed you to be strong for as long as possible. And you were.

It is nice that he was able to be with so many who cared about him at the end along with his wonderful mom. You did the only thing you could have done for him and I know he is grateful to you.

Rusty will be with you always, watching over you with the same love and devotion you showed him. He has met many of our babies at the Bridge where they are all whole and healthy once again. When our time comes to join them, they will meet us there, tails wagging, grinning from ear to ear, overjoyed to be reunited.

A candle burns for you and Rusty at:

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Feel free to light as many for him as you wish as often as you wish.

Our deepest sympathy,
    Leslie, Squirt, Ruby, Goldie and Crystal

mytil is offline Administrator and always In Loving Memory

I am so glad you have come back to let us know and I am so sorry Rusty has passed on. I could not help but cry reading your post and his moments of calm as he knew your love was helping him one more time to ease his pain.

I will make sure your Rusty is honored forever in the section Remembering all who have left us.

((((((((hugs))))))))
    Terry

Wow, thanks to all for your support and kind words. This site produces new BFFs in an unique way. For those of you who have touched my life in a fleeting way and for those of you who changed me in a meaningful way, your support is immeasurable. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

It would be wonderful if all the vets knew of this website so they can tell their patients. I did searches on the internet, off and on for a few months, and came up with info, etc., but didn't find you. I think when you're overwhelmed, things don't always click clearly. We were in the 3rd month of Rusty's treatment before I found you. You were always there; it just didn't click. I would have loved to have joined in earlier. We were only part of the site for a couple of weeks prior to his passing.

As soon as the site is back up, I am going to inform all the vets in my area of this great support site and ask them to pass the info to their Cush parents. I challenge EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU to do the same. Cush parents need this support!

Rusty has changed my life forever in a different way than my other pets have. What a lovable scamp he was!!

XOXO
    MJ